Queens Crown/Kings Crown badges question

Especially for those that use ERII in any of their regimental accoutrements as we don't yet know the Reginal name Charlie will use.
Reginal? I know its the 21st Century and all that, but isn't that taking 'right on' a bit far even for him? Regal, shurely? Any latin scholars in the domum?

And I though that those crowns* were not necessarily 'king' or 'queen', they are just different designs (St Edwards etc.). I think he could choose either. Could be wrong. Haven't looked it up.

*Edited: Show Post With Grocer's Apostrophe Removed!

Last edited:
Reginal? I know its the 21st Century and all that, but isn't that taking 'right on' a bit far even for him? Regal, shurely? Any latin scholars in the domum?

And I though that those crown's were not necessarily 'king' or 'queen', they are just different designs (St Edwards etc.). I think he could choose either. Could be wrong. Haven't looked it up.
Hmmm. King Reginald. Sounds good.

I think you're right about the king's and queen's crowns. I seem to recall from somewhere that they're not gender-specific but queens tend to go for the fancy ones while kings tend to be more subdued.

When I was serving, I heard some Norman the Storeman types talking about there being a location where there is a stock of Kings Crown cap badges ready to issue to the Armed Forces, in the event of HMQ dying and a King succeeding her.

Just curious, but might there be any truth in this?
Given the amount of time between soldiers being told to wear TRFs/Stable belts/Buttons ect and us actually getting the items, Prince William or possibly George will be sat on the throne by the time its sorted out.

Isn't reginal to do with queens while kings would go with Rex. I don't do Latin but I've read a few coins.

e.g. GEORGIVS REX v ELIZABETH REGINA.

Anyway, it's regnal.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to show my ignorance - what's a kings/queens badge?
A queens crown has 2 bumpy bits and a small cross in the dip, a kings crown is a smooth dome with a small cross on top

oo-er...

There might not need to be a change if the current crown is used.

And I though that those crown's were not necessarily 'king' or 'queen', they are just different designs (St Edwards etc.). I think he could choose either. Could be wrong. Haven't looked it up.
I believe that's basically right. Although the preceding Kings used an Imperial Crown type of design and the present Queen has the St Edward's Crown in her cypher, ultimately the choice of cypher is a matter for each new Sovereign. The St Edward's Crown is used in the crowning of all British Monarchs, male or female.

Given the change in political atmosphere between the last coronation and when the next one is likely to be (ie at least 66 years), I can't see it being acceptable to have an image of a crown that is called "Imperial".

That and the costs of changing everything. If the image of St Edward's crown were perpetuated, then for example the RAPTC would not need to change:

But RMAS would need to decide to either keep the EIIR cypher as an act of homage to Aunty Betty or get with the times and change to whatever the new King takes as his cypher.

That and the costs of changing everything. If the image of St Edward's crown were perpetuated, then for example the RAPTC would not need to change
Maybe their choice of queen's crown has nothing to do with the monarch?

Many years ago I found a junk shop in Plymouth that had a box full of 'King's Crown' CPO cap badges for sale. Being Scottish and as they were only 50p a pop, I had a few.

I wore it until almost the day I went outside, (mid 90s) and only stopped as some ******** nicked it off my cap where it was hanging up in the dining hall!

I was only queried about it twice - said it was my late father's..........

I used to love 'stretching' the Dress Regs! Luckily we didn't have utter ********* RSMs to shove walking sticks at us.

Edited to add - they were solid brass. The issue Queen's Crown ones used to bend/break from the pressure of the edge of the cap.

foxs_marine

War Hero

foxs_marine

War Hero
The little crown at the top of the capbadge is either the queens crown or the kings crown.
Isn't the Queen's Crown actually St Edward's Crown?
Damn, well beaten to it by Hackle

RigPig

War Hero
RAF cap badges. King’s crown on the left. Queen’s on the right.

Yes, Show Parade tonight 22:00, beret badges highly polished and beret without fluff.

image.jpeg

RP

Last edited:
RAF cap badges. King’s crown on the left. Queen’s on the right.

Yes, Show Parade tonight 22:00, beret badges highly polished and beret without fluff.

RP
Bollocks! RAF and show parades, who are you trying to kid?

RigPig

War Hero
Bollocks! RAF and show parades, who are you trying to kid?
A picture would be a start. Bloody iPad not uploading stuff. Wait to you see how minging they are. You quoted me whilst I was trying to edit the picture.

RP

This, apparently, is the corps version.

View attachment 376138

The Royal Family need to get with the programme.
Interesting, mine had a Muslim crescent on it.
It was a long time ago and the occasional sherbert has passed my lips since then so may have another nationality being trained up at SEE.
The lad I swapped with was just as happy to wear my badge for a laugh.

Latest Threads