Queens Birthday Honours

A couple of well-known faces from the Corps have been recognised in the Queens Birthday Awards.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu.../@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_188430.pdf

OBE - Lt Col Barry Spiers
MBE - Lt Col Steve Clarke GM QGM*
MBE - Maj Barry Skinner (TA)

Congratulations to all three and good to see the most highly decorated soldier in the Corps get another medal - that's an impressive rack (as the vicar said to the actress). Court mounting fees must be outrageous. :lol:

Donny said:
That's the one - what a star. Many congratulations to him.

Don
The blokes a nutter, trying to do (or did) a CFT with a broken leg. Congratulations to him. As earlier said, I'd hate to pay for his court mounting!

Doesn't Steve Clarke have GM* QGM* ?

Thought he had a bar for both?

PoisonDwarf said:
A couple of well-known faces from the Corps have been recognised in the Queens Birthday Awards.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu.../@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_188430.pdf

OBE - Lt Col Barry Spiers
MBE - Lt Col Steve Clarke GM QGM*
MBE - Maj Barry Skinner (TA)

Congratulations to all three and good to see the most highly decorated soldier in the Corps get another medal - that's an impressive rack (as the vicar said to the actress). Court mounting fees must be outrageous. :lol:

Gee whiz. The Barry Spiers who got the gong, he wouldn't be LE, would he?

roadster280 said:
Glad_its_all_over said:
Gee whiz. The Barry Spiers who got the gong, he wouldn't be LE, would he?
Yup. Also living proof that certain socially unacceptable convictions are not necessarily career impediments.

Congrats to all.
How in the name of the Purple Velvet Tapdancing Elvis did the man I remember as a frothing sociopath at 14 in the 80s make it to half colonel? Well done, though, Barry. You were a nutter and a nasty one, but anything but dumb and undeniably effective.

Well done to all three, but especially warm congratulations to the two crusty LE Lt Cols!

CrazyLegs! said:
Any info on Lt Col Clarkes bravery awards and how they were earned?
No, use your imagination, it's more fun! You know the sort of thing - underwater knife-fighting, Henno Garvey's stunt double, taking a bullet for the President. He might have been the 2nd, 3rd and 5th men on the balcony.

Seriously - it's a well-kept secret. You will hear a lot of rumour but they will rarely be accurate.

Well done to Colonel Barry Spiers on his OBE. I remember the good days in Herford when he was RSM and I was on the LSL. His son chose the correct Corps to enlist into though! UBIQUE. Is Goethe Strasse still the most sought after location in Herford?

Congrats to all three - all thoroughly deserving of the awards.

As an aside.........reading through the link PD posted I couldn't help but notice this MBE winner on Page 8:

Clare Bat DIMYON
For services to promoting the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people
in Central and Eastern Europe

wtf?
Yeah good point. I'm sure she's worked her rainbow-coloured socks off, but I can't see how it is anything to do with the British empire by any stretch of the imagination. Don't tell the Daily Mail!