Queen's Birthday Honours 2017

And a George Cross for a security consultant at the Westgate Shopping Mall in Kenya. I wonder why it took four years to make the award? And I wonder what he got his QGM for?

And a George Cross for a security consultant at the Westgate Shopping Mall in Kenya. I wonder why it took four years to make the award? And I wonder what he got his QGM for?

He used to live in the vicinity of RM Poole: QGM Gazetted in 1996 (when he was an RM Sgt), but back-dated to 1993

Queen's Birthday Honours: Inspiring stories of bravery in gallantry list - BBC News

The citation will be on the Gazette website, but because the search engine they now have is next to useless, it may be some time before a link for the GC citation emerges...

Ah, no - bit of lateral thinking to confuse the search engine:

GEORGE CROSS
Dominic Charles TROULAN QGM,​

Civilian For saving lives during the Westgate Shopping Mall terrorist attack in Kenya in 2013

On 21 September 2013, a group of heavily-armed terrorists entered the Westgate Shopping Mall in Nairobi, Kenya and started to murder men, women and children indiscriminately. Dominic Troulan, a security consultant working in Nairobi, was contacted by a friend who asked him to go to the incident to try and locate the friend’s wife and daughter.

On arrival at the Mall, Troulan contacted the family by telephone and entered the Mall. He was armed with only a pistol while the area was dominated by terrorists armed with grenades and machine guns. Nevertheless, Troulan managed to bring the two women to safety.

Realising that large numbers of civilians remained trapped while the terrorists continued to kill indiscriminately, Troulan re-entered the Mall. Over the course of several hours, he went into the building at least a dozen times and on each occasion managed to bring many innocent civilians to safety. He was fired on twice by the terrorists but managed to force them back. By now, Troulan was exhausted, dehydrated and at the limit of his mental capacity. He was about to stop when a distress call was received from a woman who was trapped, injured and bleeding. Once again, Troulan entered the Mall and brought the woman to safety.

Despite the strain of his efforts, it should be noted that Troulan had the presence of mind to realise that the terrorists could be hiding among the survivors. Troulan enlisted help and searched the civilians once he had led them to safety, thus ensuring that no terrorists were hiding in their midst.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Billy Connelly now Sir Billy!

The 2 cops who got GCs got them for what reason? Was it because they followed the murderer of an MP? Or was it because they followed a murderer?

Billy Connelly now Sir Billy!

No: Billy Connolly is now Sir Billy. I'd have thought the Auld Yin would have known who the Big Yin is.

He used to live in the vicinity of RM Poole
.​

What ANOTHER one? I live in Poole and it seems like you can't move for GCs round here.

I've got a new bloke on my team at work. Two weeks ago came out with the line that he had worked with a bloke who had the VC at a local insurance company. Bollocks, thought I. Then something twigged.

"His name wouldn't be xxxxx xxxxx would it?"

"Yeah, do you know him?".

"No, but I think that half of Dorset has heard of him."

Seriously, walting as a VC recipient when you have a perfectly good GC from Iraq...

(I think that my new colleague may have gotten his Crosses mixed up in the same way that piper89 has got his George's mixed up)​

Last edited:
The 2 cops who got GCs got them for what reason? Was it because they followed the murderer of an MP? Or was it because they followed a murderer?
You could look up the citations in the London Gazette which is in the public domain and then judge. The GC is a Level 1 gallantry award which (as far as I'm aware) is not given out lightly.

Last edited:
You could look up the citations in the London Gazette which is in the public domain and then judge. The GC is a Level 1 gallantry award which (as far as I'm aware) is not given out lightly.
Like any award, sometimes the award can be controversial, or might merit a "why?". The policeman who arrested Derek Bentley and Christopher Craig received the GC, and the award was announced before Bentley was executed, which pretty much indicated that despite public protests Bentley was going to die.

Looking at the citation I would argue that Mr Troulan should not receive the GC. The Westgate Shopping Mall was effectively a battlefield and the GC is not a battlefield award. Would a VC, which can still be awarded to civilians, have been more appropriate?

There are some people who think that the GC is lesser award than the VC. Obviously this is wrong, but when he was head of the VC and GC association Sir Jackie Smyth VC had to deal with the father of a GC recipient who tried to get his sons posthumous GC replaced with a VC. The son had received his award for conduct as a POW. Smyth's argument was that GC recipients often showed greater bravery than VC recipients as VC's tended to be earned over a short period, whereas GC's were often awarded for sustained bravery, such as conduct as POW's, bomb disposal or even for sitting on top of an active volcano for three months acting as a human alarm.

A very valid post. Ultimately it's a committee which forms an opinion and makes these decisions , there is no rigid algorithm so far as I'm aware - I think if one examined every award for bravery/ gallantry from say the Queens Commendation for Bravery right up to the GC there would be some disagreement between members of the committee as to what level should be awarded. My own opinion , the VC is bravery in the face of the enemy which means bullets or other ordnance coming my way when I'm doing my job and a bit more besides.

Unlike peerages.