Queen to be invited to Dublin 2016 Commemorations

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, Sep 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. The National Day of Cemmoration remembers all Irish people who have died in war (all uniforms) and always has.

The RBL refuse to recognise it and hold their own cemmoration the day before.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

3. It would be nice if Her Majesty unveiled a memorial to the "British" casualties of the 1916 Rising at the same time. Don't see it happening though. A recent suggestion that the Auxiliaries killed at Kilmichael be commemorted on the site has proved controversial.

4. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Wasn't there just the one and a memorial in TCD

5. Really?

That's rather petty, I had a great grand father, who was on leave from the Dublin Fusiliers, shooting at his brother, who was in the Post Office.

They both ended up as grumpy old buggers.The former IRB bloke had previously served in the Connaught Rangers but was invalided out early in the war.

• Like Like x 6
  6. That's probably because of what Tom Barry said about the false surrender.

http://youtu.be/x998_xo7e9s

Sent from my iPhone

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

LOL...your comment reminds me of two 'Fusiliers' I got a train out of Glasgow with in the 90s, one a Rangers man...the other a Hoops man. They 'forced' me to dismount the train at Crewe, contra my plans, to drink whiskey with them, knowing full well that I didn't drink, but holding to the mantra that you can't trust a man who won't have a drink with you.

I have this mental image of them toasting HM while both saying exactly your post contents.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Do you know, before reading this thread I always thought that I knew how to spell comemmaration.

9. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Well if I'm not wrong all Eire citizens can claim subject status? Recall being told that they are the only people that can get passports with 'British Subject' as opposed to the 'British Citizen' we all have.

10. Not entirely sure you are correct there. As far as I am aware, if your parents were born in the Irish Free State i.e. before the declaration of the Republic in 1948, they were considered Commonwealth subjects therefore their immediate descendants (children) are eligible to apply for a British passport. I don't know anyone with dual citizenship and I've always kept my Irish passport.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I have dual citizenship. Both parents (and all grandparents) born in Ireland pre-1948, I was born here. None of my forebears made a Declaration of Alienation to the Irish State and hence I am entitled to citizenship of both the UK and the ROI.

12. If they are a citizen of RoI and they were born before 1 Jan 1949 they can claim British citizenship.

Why?
    Because Ireland officially ceased to be a member of the Commonwealth on that date.

13. Me. Triple actually, Irish, listed first out of respect for your superb posts and because you and my Father were both born in Connacht, British and Russian. I could also obtain Ukranian due to my Mother being born in what was Imperial Russia and is today Ukraine.

• Like Like x 1