Queen presents posthumous George Medal for Brett Linley.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Nov 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

RIP Brett,May St Barbara watch over you & your loved ones.

BBC News - Queen presents posthumous George Medal for Brett Linley

2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Always found this bit confusing. Surely being killed by a bomb that was planted by the enemy in a war zone is fairly ''in the face of the enemy''.

You can be pretty sure the ******* who planted the bomb were nearby and probably watching.

Likewise I saw a program over remembrance weekend about a Marine who had been killed by a grenade that had been lobbed into his compound. He had a grave stone with clipped corners, doesn't make sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. "He had a grave stone with clipped corners"

Sorry to go off topic but what does that mean? Ive never heard of it before. Cheers.

4. RIP Brett.

5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

They are not Commonwealth War Graves Commission headstones. They are similar in design but have the corners clipped of (or IIRC wavy tops for the Navy) to distinguish them from CWGC headstones.

I sometimes wonder about the not in contact with the enemy bit. Derek Kinne got a GC in Korea for his conduct as a PoW. As a PoW I would have thought he couldn't have got much closer to the enemy but...

I don't think it in anyway diminishes the award. The GC and the VC are equivalent just as the GM and the CGC are level.

RIP SSgt Linley GM. You are an inspiration to us!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ravers

If I recall correctly, some war graves are a slightly different shape to standard ones, with the top corners 'clipped', denoting that the owner did not die in combat. They are quite common for Spanish Flu victims of WW1.

I'm prepared to be proved wrong though, I'm sure someone on here knows more about it than me.

7. I have to agree...

I could never quite understand the logic behind the "in the face of the enemy" caveat as far as EOD is concerned.

I can see that selflessly saving someone from being killed by a falling tea urn in the NAAFI is different, in that the element of premeditated courage is perhaps less as they were not deliberately putting themselves in harm's way (although perhaps debatable in a Naafi context where the Ginsters can exist in critical mass densities..)

I would suggest however that in the case of EOD, and particularly in the case of an IED in a theatre such as Afghanistan, the explosive device is the enemy, armed and with intent to take out the operator. There is a conscious decision by the operator to engage and when everything goes to ratshit, place themselves in harm’s way. Explain to me please how this is different to charging a machine gun nest with a sharpened spoon?

RIP Brett...

• Like Like x 2
  8. Interesting point. If that is so, all the headstones at the Vevey CWGC should be of this type. I'll have to pop over and have a look.

We were there for the Remembrance Day service, but I didn't take in this subtle difference.

9. Ravers

Sorry again for the thread tangent, but here is a pic of one of the graves:

[​IMG]

10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The clipped headstones indicate that they are not provided by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and have no bearing on how the deceased died. CWGC only provide stones for those who died in relation to the Great war and WW2.

11. Ravers

It appears I've been fed a line in that case. Still doesn't explain why the booty had one though.

12. "CWGC only provide stones for those who died in relation to the Great war and WW2."

That's the bit that explains it.