• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Queen institutes Elizabeth Cross for KIAs.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
BFBS is advertising that it is broadcasting a special address to the Armed Forces by Her Majesty at 1300 BST today.

Available on DAB in the UK and on-line at http://www.bfbs-radio.com/

No doubt you'll be able to listen again later if you miss it.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
She has just announced the 'Elizabeth Cross' will be presented to NOK of anyone killed in combat or by terrorism. It will be a memorial scroll and a silver emblem.

It will be awarded automatically from 1 Aug 09 but will be back dated to 1948.

Having binned BFBS I luckily got a tweet with the info and managed to tune in in time to hear it. The Queen's Cross....... a right and fitting idea for those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

Hang on, just got to re-tune the radio away from Beefers.

Elizabeth Cross.

For the families of those killed on Operations or as the result of terrorism presented with a scroll and the name of the deceased on the rear. Backdated to 1948.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Apparently the name was originally Churchill's idea. There is an interesting and somewhat prescient article written by LBdr Restoricks mother in Apr 01

When I put my proposal to the Defence Secretary, he did not even put the case for the medal to the committee that advises the Queen on matters relating to the award of medals.
Typical politicians answer to anything to do with the military. The Governments utter contempt for the military has always been there, even as far back as when this medal was first proposed in the 1997. :pissedoff:

I'll bet when HMQ heard about this proposal, she was 100% behind it. :dance:

Edited for mong England! 8O

Excellent news. The ultimate sacrifice may be giving your life for your country, but it is family that have to live with that sacrifice.

It is nice to see that this is recognised and by the Queen instead of a much despised politician.

At last a genuine recognition for the fallen and their famillies. Far much better than the empty words uttered by the PM on his Wednesday lunchtime appearances in the HoC.

Will this cross come with a ribbon, or is it just the cross in the picture as shown on the BBC.

Its a good idea. Would be even better if they didnt have to issue any more.

ugly

LE
Canada had something similar and also a silver Maple Leaf for mums whose sons were serving abroad, My Great Gran wore 3 at once and by 1945 had one KIA award!

Latest Threads