• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Queen Elizabeth to make first visit to Irish Republic

Should make for an interesting security operation! Personally, I hope it passes off trouble-free.

Queen Elizabeth 'to make first visit to Irish Republic'

By Alastair Jamieson

Wednesday March 03 2010

Queen Elizabeth may soon receive an official invitation to visit Ireland for the first time, according to renewed speculation about the controversial but long-expected trip.

President McAleese is reported to be hopeful the first state visit would take place during her term in office, which ends next year.

It would be the first time a British monarch has set foot in the Irish Republic.

A visit has been mooted for several years as the peace process brings closer ties between London and Dublin, lowering the hurdles.

Such an event would have been inconceivable prior to the IRA pledging to hand over its weapons; the organisation murdered Queen Elizabeth's uncle, Earl Mountbatten in August 1979.

Buckingham Palace said it “never commented on possible future state visits”, and a source added that the palace was not aware of plans for a trip to Ireland.

However, a report in the Daily Mail quoted Mary Kenny, author of Crown And Shamrock, a new book about the relationship between Ireland and the British monarchy, and who recently met Mrs McAleese at an Irish Embassy reception in London, saying: “They believe privately it will happen next year. The political situation has been transformed and the mood is right.”

2011 will mark the centenary of the visit by Queen Elizabeth's grandfather, King George V, to what is now southern Ireland.

In December, Mrs McAleese spoke of her hope that Queen Elizabeth will finally make her historic visit to Ireland in the next year.

Speaking on RTE’s Late Late Show, she said: “I’d like to think it could happen. I’ve long since been on the record as saying I think it could be one of the greatest symbols of where we have moved to as a country if we had that great reconciliation with our neighbour,” she said.

“We have seen a huge change in the relationship. It’s probably the best it’s ever been historically. It’s friendly, it’s fraternal, it’s collegial. We wouldn’t have a peace process if it wasn’t as collegial and as partnership-driven as it is, so we are very fortunate,” she said.

- Alastair Jamieson

© Telegraph.co.uk
http://www.independent.ie/national-...ke-first-visit-to-irish-republic-2087351.html

I'm all for it myself and bolloughs to the "Unionist"/"Loyalist" small-minds that will get a c0ckstand about it. Did I mention that the last Uachtarán is a cousin of TFB (she was a Bourke)? No? That's unusual I usually like to work it into any Ireland related conversation early doors.

tropper66 said:
The first time a British monach has set foot in the Irish Republic, since King Wiliam had a disagreement on the Boyne
Er ... not quite. Anyway, as the OP says, it should present a nice little challenge for the security boys. Wonder if she'll visit Dundalk? I'm sure they'd give her a warm auld Irish reception there. 8O

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've been recently. Dublin reminded me of a rundown Bradford on a wet afternoon with slightly less Asians and slightly more East Europeans.

Lets hope Phil the Greek is on form.

Perhaps it would be a good occasion for the Republic to grow up and join the Commonwealth.

tropper66 said:
The first time a British monach has set foot in the Irish Republic, since King Wiliam had a disagreement on the Boyne
No, Queen Victoria visited in 1901 I think, just after the Boer War and I'm pretty sure she visited earlier, in the 1860's IIRC.

Jaeger said:
tropper66 said:
No, Queen Victoria visited in 1901 I think, just after the Boer War and I'm pretty sure she visited earlier, in the 1860's IIRC.
I did not know that but was just taking the P

BuggerAll said:
I've been recently. Dublin reminded me of a rundown Bradford on a wet afternoon with slightly less Asians and slightly more East Europeans.

Perhaps it would be a good occasion for the Republic to grow up and join the Commonwealth.
Well go again when it's not raining, it looks F**k all like Bradford, Asians and East Europeans notwithstanding.
:p

Jaeger said:
BuggerAll said:

Well go again when it's not raining, it looks F**k all like Bradford, Asians and East Europeans notwithstanding.
Yes, Bradford has many fine buildings.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Jaeger said:
BuggerAll said:

Maybe I'm thinking of Leeds.

She'll probably go over when Ratzi the Nazi is in the UK. That way she'll not have to defend the faith and cause an incident, 'cos nowhere in Ireland really cares about that sort of thing.

BuggerAll said:

Perhaps it would be a good occasion for the Republic to grow up and join the Commonwealth
Any organisation that would have us as member's, I wouldn't want to join....to paraphrase a great comedian.

To most Irish people, Dublin reminds us of a s.hithole....I'm glad to see you have a better opinion of the place. :D

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
petergriffen said:
BuggerAll said:

Perhaps it would be a good occasion for the Republic to grow up and join the Commonwealth
Any organisation that would have us as member's, I wouldn't want to join....to paraphrase a great comedian.

To most Irish people, Dublin reminds us of a s.hithole....I'm glad to see you have a better opinion of the place. :D
Bet you wish that had applied to the EU.

Latest Threads