Queen asked to make town Royal.

Opinions chaps?
Personaly I think it's a good idea but the Royal bit might have an adverse effect on the area. (house prices,inbreds from the city moving there because it's 'Royal' ect)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/8257468.stm

A retired naval officer has written to the Queen and prime minister suggesting a town in Wiltshire be renamed "Royal Wootton Bassett".

Bill Thomas, from Hampshire, said the town's tradition of paying respect to soldiers killed in Afghanistan and Iraq should be officially recognised.

Mr Thomas said: "They're doing a fantastic job and should be rewarded."

The tradition began in 2007 and now hundreds of people turn out to pay respect as the hearses pass through.

Mr Thomas, 62, from Portchester, said: "They should be rewarded, whether they want to be rewarded or not.

"I know they're modest people, but they're going to be called 'royal' if I have anything to do with it.

"There are only two towns in the country with the 'royal' prefix, and I think it's about time there's one more, and I think that one more should be Wootton Bassett".

Two other towns currently having the royal prefix in England are Royal Tunbridge Wells and Royal Leamington Spa.

"They should be rewarded, whether they want to be rewarded or not"

arrogant pillock - the various town officials have gone on record as saying they do not wish to have any honours.

Do the people of Wooton Basset actualy want this honour? Or would they prefer to show their respects with dignity when our dead come home? Already we hear that the grief brigade are flocking to the place.

I gather that the residents of WB would rather Mr Thomas keep his well-meaning ideas to himself...

And devex has beaten me to my second point which was going to be that :

Mr Thomas, 62, from Portchester, said: "They should be rewarded, whether they want to be rewarded or not.

"I know they're modest people, but they're going to be called 'royal' if I have anything to do with it.
suggests that Mr Thomas is a pompous, arrogant idiot., no matter how well-intentioned.

THey should be honoured by more people responding to their efforts, putting aside their [those who want to honour them in ways they do not want to be] misinformed, politically warped view and turning out themselves.

I would imagine HMQ gets more than one crackpot letter every day, I expect they all end up in the same place. I doubt HMQ would consider forcing the honour on the town.

Is there a link anywhere to how many places in the U.K. have Royal in the title and the reasons behind their titles? maybe it would be more fitting if they were to rename the actual main road running through the town.

Gundulph said:
Is there a link anywhere to how many places in the U.K. have Royal in the title and the reasons behind their titles? maybe it would be more fitting if they were to rename the actual main road running through the town.

Two other towns currently having the royal prefix in England are Royal Tunbridge Wells and Royal Leamington Spa.

Captain_Crusty

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Don't forget:

* Beeston Regis
* Bere Regis
* Bognor Regis
* Brompton Regis
* Grafton Regis
* Houghton Regis
* Kingsbury Regis, Somerset
* Letcombe Regis, Berkshire
* Lynn Regis
* Lyme Regis
* Melcombe Regis
* Milton Regis
* Newton Regis
* Rowley Regis
* Salcombe Regis
* Wyke Regis

As well as:

-Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
-Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames
-Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead

I thank you Wiikipedia!

CQMS said:
I would imagine HMQ gets more than one crackpot letter every day, I expect they all end up in the same place. I doubt HMQ would consider forcing the honour on the town.
Indeed. Buckingham Palace replied to this gentleman on 30 July. Apparently their reply is not good enough for him.

"They should be rewarded, whether they want to be rewarded or not.
Classic stuff.

The folk in WB are very loyal and 100%. I can see why they are so decent and humble. I have had a cousin come home thru' WB. It broke my heart, our salute is to see WB recognised, absolute lovely folk who reflect our Nation.

Perhaps a better honour would be to arrange a parade for the next National Armed Forces Day through Wootton Bassett to show the appreciation of the Armed Forces for what they do? With Eyes Right past their town hall as a mark of our respect for them!

Give them a time they can stand on the street and not be upset, perhaps even enjoy something the army is doing for them?

devexwarrior said:
"They should be rewarded, whether they want to be rewarded or not"

arrogant pillock - the various town officials have gone on record as saying they do not wish to have any honours.
He sounds like something out of New Liarbour.

Agreed that the townsfolk are quite content the way things are.

What really, really irks me is that the 'effing plonker 'Clown' gets to 'advise' Her Majesty on this matter. :x

I am considering petitioning Her Majesty and begging her to send Brown to The Tower of London on the grounds of committing gross negligence in a public office. Do you think that would be referred to the monocular oaf for advice? If so, what would his response be?

The 'list' of 'Royal' and 'Regis' omitted Royal Berkshire.

According to the Today programme HM has sent a message to Clown Brown on this subject.

In the meantime ISTR some bigwig from Wooton Bassett saying they wished the hordes who now turn up there would do one & leave the people of the village to do their thing quietly by themselves. In any case the village won't be on the repatriation route fairly soon.

81cufc said:
Perhaps a better honour would be to arrange a parade for the next National Armed Forces Day through Wootton Bassett to show the appreciation of the Armed Forces for what they do? With Eyes Right past their town hall as a mark of our respect for them!

Give them a time they can stand on the street and not be upset, perhaps even enjoy something the army is doing for them?
Great idea