Queen asked to make town Royal.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Sep 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Opinions chaps?
    Personaly I think it's a good idea but the Royal bit might have an adverse effect on the area. (house prices,inbreds from the city moving there because it's 'Royal' ect)

2. "They should be rewarded, whether they want to be rewarded or not"

arrogant pillock - the various town officials have gone on record as saying they do not wish to have any honours.
  3. Do the people of Wooton Basset actualy want this honour? Or would they prefer to show their respects with dignity when our dead come home? Already we hear that the grief brigade are flocking to the place.
  4. I gather that the residents of WB would rather Mr Thomas keep his well-meaning ideas to himself...

And devex has beaten me to my second point which was going to be that :

suggests that Mr Thomas is a pompous, arrogant idiot., no matter how well-intentioned.
  5. I wouldn't get too upset. He'll probably be dead soon.
  6. THey should be honoured by more people responding to their efforts, putting aside their [those who want to honour them in ways they do not want to be] misinformed, politically warped view and turning out themselves.
  7. I would imagine HMQ gets more than one crackpot letter every day, I expect they all end up in the same place. I doubt HMQ would consider forcing the honour on the town.
  8. Is there a link anywhere to how many places in the U.K. have Royal in the title and the reasons behind their titles? maybe it would be more fitting if they were to rename the actual main road running through the town.
  9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Two other towns currently having the royal prefix in England are Royal Tunbridge Wells and Royal Leamington Spa.
  10. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Don't forget:

* Beeston Regis
    * Bere Regis
    * Bognor Regis
    * Brompton Regis
    * Grafton Regis
    * Houghton Regis
    * Kingsbury Regis, Somerset
    * Letcombe Regis, Berkshire
    * Lynn Regis
    * Lyme Regis
    * Melcombe Regis
    * Milton Regis
    * Newton Regis
    * Rowley Regis
    * Salcombe Regis
    * Wyke Regis

As well as:

-Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
    -Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames
    -Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead

I thank you Wiikipedia!
  11. Indeed. Buckingham Palace replied to this gentleman on 30 July. Apparently their reply is not good enough for him.

Classic stuff.
  12. The folk in WB are very loyal and 100%. I can see why they are so decent and humble. I have had a cousin come home thru' WB. It broke my heart, our salute is to see WB recognised, absolute lovely folk who reflect our Nation.
  13. Perhaps a better honour would be to arrange a parade for the next National Armed Forces Day through Wootton Bassett to show the appreciation of the Armed Forces for what they do? With Eyes Right past their town hall as a mark of our respect for them!

Give them a time they can stand on the street and not be upset, perhaps even enjoy something the army is doing for them?
  14. He sounds like something out of New Liarbour.
  15. And whether he wants to be or not.