QUEBEC DAY

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Queensman, Sep 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Loyal greetings and best wishes to all in Arrseland on this the anniversary of the Battle of Quebec. (1759)

2. You missed Salerno Day last week.

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

4. Happy Quebec Day to all 35th Foot/ Queen’s/PWRR

5. Thank you, Old Snowy!

6. I wonder if we have a Battle of New Orleans Day?!

Somehow, I very much doubt it!!! after all, at the time we were committed to kicking a certain tiny froggie's arse!!!!!

7. Dig out those plumes now - come on you Orange Lillies !

Père Whiffler was a Cinque Ports lad - CO's bugler and all

8. Whoops I stand corrected

I hadn't realised that there were still so many of the Earl of Donegall's Regiment till around (heh heh that'll wind some up).

Seriously though it does make me wonder whether there should be an ARRSE banner for each day announcing which anniversary it is - possibly with a short explanation as a link.

If the MODs allowed ARRSE users to populate it, it wouldn't take too long or too much time to set up.

What do you think??

9. Battle of New Orleans Day is 8th January (1815) - We don't tend to remember it because the English were completely decimated by a ramshackle collection of Yanks, Pirates and freed slaves!
    General Pakenham was commanding the Brits and was killed. Once again the common soldiers were brave and steadfast but were led by plonkers. Pakenham forgot the famous '7 Ps', and failed to ensure the scaling ladders, needed to breach the ramparts, were got forward for use! So the boys just stood in the open and were mown down. Jackson, leading the Yanks, became a national hero and was later President.

The war cemetry is sadly flooded at the moment with toxic waste - see today's Daily Telegraph page 15 'Troops patrol British war graves of 1815'

10. Seriously though it does make me wonder whether there should be an ARRSE banner for each day announcing which anniversary it is - possibly with a short explanation as a link.

If the MODs allowed ARRSE users to populate it, it wouldn't take too long or too much time to set up.

What do you think??[/quote]

Meanwhile, you'll have to make do with the glorious history of The Queen's Regiment, slightly biased towards 2nd & 31st of Foot, but I'll try and remember the others!..........like I did today!!

11. 14 and 15 of Foot celebrate Quebec day That’s the soon to be doomed Prince of Wales’s own regiment Of Yorkshire. Remembered in many ways, included the black cain used by SNCO'S to remember the death of General Wolfe and some stuff on officers garb