Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Quarters on Blandford Camp

One quarter I lived in had carpet squares, tiled floors and a meat locker

When the army decided to sign the housing over to civvy contracts not many companys were interested.

I think it was the holes in the roofs that put them off !!

polar69 said:
One quarter I lived in had carpet squares, tiled floors and a meat locker

I think all the Blandford quarters still have their 'meat lockers'/larders - I know mine did on South Crescent and they're supposed to be some of the better houses.

Don't expect a shower in your house either - many of them still don't have them.

A collegue of mine always puts down the address of the actual quarters he wants. He doesn't get them but always gets a couple of doors down.

so should i just take it that houses on gunville down road are generally crap
I applied for a house everywhere but gunville when i announced i was getting married. Have fought a loosing battle and have been told id better take the house or id be on a long waiting list. The lovely old dear in the welfare office then told me that the previous morning a ghurka had turned dow 3 houses in a row in south crecent because he wanted to be in the same street as his ghurka buddies, guess what! he got what he wanted. I was then fully aware that there were 3 unoccupied houses. this was back in march. I turned the quarter down and havnt gotten married either as we managed to wangle a council flat. However my child is due to be born any day now, so i went back to the families office.
I was then told they had held my house in gunville down for me (for 2 months!) despite me saying i didnt want it. Two months i should have been waiting patiently for a house in a street where i can house my family and dog without the missus going mad. I then asked if i could move into the quarter to which they replied, not until your married.
Im not getting married for a month or two, so i reckon thats an empty quarter sitting there for about 5 months. Blandford and quarters, ill never fully understand it!

rant ends!

I don't mean to sound like a Veteran. But it was good enough quarters in 87/91.For my family.
And I'd imagine with Standards rising over the yrs. The inside of the Quarters has improved. It will be the home that you make it. Good luck. And make the most of the beautiful area

I don't mean to sound like a Veteran. But it was good enough quarters in 87/91.For my family.
And I'd imagine with Standards rising over the yrs. The inside of the Quarters has improved. It will be the home that you make it. Good luck. And make the most of the beautiful area
I doubt the OP is still waiting to find out about the quarters 16 years later.