Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Quarters on Blandford Camp

polar69 said:
Is army accomodation still that bad ? I assumed the aspestos roofed MQ's I saw last year were empty ?

Do kiddies on phase 2 really get better accom than the old n bold ?
kids are living in a 8 - 10 man rooms, family accom is small but with a bit of effort livable. Big_Kahoona as said before try for kingdown unless your kids like living in rabbit hutches

I lived in Gunvilledown for 6 months in the mid 70s. I was 10 years old and they seemed small even then! The quarters are also skillfully arranged so that you seem to be hemmed in by the neighbours.

Managed to wangle a house on Racedown road when I got posted there.

Not a bad quarter by any standards. They had just been renovated, the chains to close the doors were a pain though, nearly squashed my kiddy a couple of times.

Still hated the fcuking place though and got myself posted on after 8 months.

Never went back and thought myself lucky not to have to.

I was very well informed not so long ago that the quarters on Blandford camp are the worst in the UK. But nothing will happen improvement wise until DTR is over. I would keep your ear to the ground for any courses finishing in 2-3 months time and get on the phone to DEH with a list of upcoming vacencies. Any that are currently empty will already be allocated. Finally avoid Gunville like the plague especially the 2 beds.

I applied for a house everywhere but gunville when i announced i was getting married. Have fought a loosing battle and have been told id better take the house or id be on a long waiting list. The lovely old dear in the welfare office then told me that the previous morning a ghurka had turned dow 3 houses in a row in south crecent because he wanted to be in the same street as his ghurka buddies, guess what! he got what he wanted. I was then fully aware that there were 3 unoccupied houses. this was back in march. I turned the quarter down and havnt gotten married either as we managed to wangle a council flat. However my child is due to be born any day now, so i went back to the families office.
I was then told they had held my house in gunville down for me (for 2 months!) despite me saying i didnt want it. Two months i should have been waiting patiently for a house in a street where i can house my family and dog without the missus going mad. I then asked if i could move into the quarter to which they replied, not until your married.
Im not getting married for a month or two, so i reckon thats an empty quarter sitting there for about 5 months. Blandford and quarters, ill never fully understand it!

rant ends!

The quarter we have in Blandford is bloody marvellous! Because we have no loftspace the ceiling is the roof (if you get my drift). The Mrs says it's the best quarter we have ever been privelegd to be allocated (OK I lied about that bit). She reckons that it's like sleeping in an upside down boat - except a boat wouldn't leak that much let's face it. When it rains, which is a lot in Blandford, it sounds like you are in a caravan. Boat? Caravan? Either way it's like one long holiday - awesome! :D

Being not far from Blandford, try and ask for West Moors. Small patch, houses arnt bad and some of the gardens you need a sit down mower to cut the grass! Only draw back is the 20min drive to the back gate at Blandford (well ive done it in 14!). We have Royal Marines from Poole here so they may let Signals stay?

Mate of mine try to get one in West Moors only to be fecked off, you can't ask for a MQ thats not in your area unless you have got a bloodly good excuse and even than the retarded DHE mob will give you the finger. 8O

edit 1 times for being a mong

I had a quarter in West Moors. It was the smallest quarter I have ever had. The garden was huge though. And the school in the village sucked the beef. My daughter had loads of grief there from the pointyheads. Half the patch has been sold off and is full of rusty Sierra driving Chavs. Theres a top Indian Takeaway in Ferndown mind, on the main drag infront of Tescos

But Charles, surely West Moors is in your area as West Moors is part of the Blandford Garrison; however would Guru have got a MQ there?

mungeous said:
I was very well informed not so long ago that the quarters on Blandford camp are the worst in the UK

I see your Blandford and raise you Bulford.

I went to a mates house in Blandford a while back for a bbq. It wasnt too bad for him, no kids and a bit minimalist, but i tried to imagine what it would be like if i was posted there. I estimated that i would be able to fit about a third of our posessions in the house. The sofa and dining table would fill the living area and leave zero floor space. It would be completely unworkable - but i would expect the default DHE response of "we're here to house you, not your furniture".

Blimey - I had an MQ there in 1983 - it wasn't brilliant then but alt least we had gas heating, not all electric like some poor souls

the_guru said:
Still, only costs about 120 quid amonth, so musn't grumble eh?

There is that i suppose, but the tollerance would start to wear thin after a few months of climbing over everything you own