Quarters -Its the minor irritants that p me off.

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by BuggerAll, Dec 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

We've just moved into another quarter its OK. It didn't look like it had been cleaned before we arrived the cooker had crusted fat on it. There are holes in the wall where picture hooks have been pulled out and there is paint on the carpet and the garden was in bog order.

We've complained but nobody has come around to look at it.

When we arrived the carpet was still wet because contractors had been in to 'clean' the carpet the day before. They may have wet it but it certainly was not clean.

All this is irritating shows a system that does not care.

But what really p@sses me off is the lack of integrated thinking on housing. In every house you move into you can see where previous occupants have removed hooks, laid and removed TV and telephone extension cables etc
    In every house we go to we have to buy a different cat flap panel because none of the doors are the same.

In one of the bedrooms there is a double plug socket next to the bedroom door. If you put a plug in you can't open or close the door. Someone was paid a lot of money to wire that into all of the quarters on the patch. Someone who is paid too much approved of this being done.

Its not rocket science it just need a bit of thought. All quarters should have TV and telephone sockets in all the main rooms. All quarters should have picture rails in all the main rooms.

This would not be especially expensive to put in if sone on a rolling basis and would save so much time effort and damage to the quarters.

I know I'm just wasting time posting this because if anybody in a position to do anything about it did see it they have already demonstrated that they don't care so I can dream on!

2. I concur on all points. Another example being my bedroom cupboard, which has a light fitting directly above it, stopping you opening the door (open it fast by mistake and you rip out the light fitting, as I discovered).

DHE and MHS are the lowest common denominator in the world of housing maintenance. They are employed by HM Forces because they are cheap, but they aren't entirely to blame. My quarter was built in the 60's/70's, long before these two 'organisations' (and I use the term very loosely) came into being.

My question is this - why isn't exactly the same design of house used for every quarter in existence, regardless of location? If all 2,3 and 4 bedroom houses had exactly the same layout and dimensions, and exactly the same fixtures and fittings, life would would be cheaper all round for everyone. Cheaper for us because we wouldn't have to buy/sell (delete as appropriate) sh*t oads of furniture every time we move, and cheaper for DE and MHS, as they would be able to stockpile vast amounts of parts for much cheaper.

The fact remains that we will always have the least amount possible spent on us, and there's nothing we can do to change that apart from getting out.

3. Yet again, some Moron is sitting on a farkin fat retirement check for hiring MHS and DHE. Absolute bunch of cretins!!!!!!!!! Guy in my troop, boiler went on the blink by filling the house with Carbon Monoxide, (We know this cos all his Carbon Monoxide Detectors went off), No heating for fourteen days in the winter, in his paper house, Contractor turns up, tinkers with the heater, 'Yep mate its fixed' So they turned it on, sure enough the Detectors went off, they turned the boiler off again, got told by DHE at six o'clock at night, that the movers were turning up first thing the next morning to move him lock stock to another quarter. Not bad, 2 weeks after knee surgery!! Then theres myself and others who have to wait weeks and months for a quarter, Cos 'there is none available at all, Completely full, you'll have to stay at the Cotswold Centre for Divorcee's' Great stuff. Thanks DHE and MHS, hope you're Christmas is sh1te too!!!
    -Rant over-

4. Im still waiting for DE to ring me back from Monday

"yes yes I promise someone from the London office will call before 4.30pm"
    Utter lies these people dont care, I turned down a quarter over a month ago (various reasons) and now DE are dodging me. Im not asking much just a house thats up to a livable standard, not having to live next door to a boarded up burnt out house on an estate that looks like The Bronx.

5. Well here is the update waited till this morning to ring DE, the woman on the end of the phone said she had no idea what was going on with my case, and she would get someone from the London office to call today, again am not holding my breath.They have had a month to sort me out with another quarter but nothing doing.
    Think I may have to wait till after christmas now!
    It seems to have become a waiting game between them and us.
    If I used the same sort of effort at my job my boss would have hung me by now.

6. Should bring back the old style march out and march in.

Never had any of the types of problems from the first post when they used to exist.

But oh no its demeaning/horrible/not modern enough for todays solider and his missus.

Seems to be on a par with PAYD, you lot asked for it (no march outs) so you can live with the results.

7. I only had 4 quarters when I was in. They were all better than the last one. Maybe I was just lucky?

The accomodation I am in now though is not that good, but ok I suppose.

8. Steven,you are a miserable cnut,nobody deserves sh1te accom never mind these blokes who's wives and families are left in it while they are away on op's for longer than we every were

9. Yep! :)

I agree 100% but the question is - How did the accom get in such a shite state in the first place?

Normal wear and tear and things breaking down is one thing but the horror stories of what the places are like when the guys are moving in is down to the people who left it like that.

I know you can pay a cleaning charge and walk away but that was why I likened it to PAYD, a good idea at the time but total bonk in practice.

10. Not even got into my quarter yet so I have no idea what the house was like inside only got to see it through the kitchen window.

11. So Im now at the bottom of the Housing list???
    WTF since when did we have a housing list? Its not Housing support
    I thought a married quarter was an entitlement not a privilege, or am I wrong in thinking that. I know I know some people will be shouting about cheap rent and "try and find a house so cheap on the civvy market" Some civvy on the phone considers waiting six months after posting a norm to wait for an offer of a house

12. No you aren't entitled, you apply to occupy a MQ and do so under licence. IF you refuse those offered (max 3 I think) then you will move to the bottom of the waiting list, I believe that's the current rule.

If they brought back March Outs as Steven says higher up, there wouldn't be this problem.

Edited for mong typing

13. My quarter probably was marched out of possibly at the same time the Regt marched out of the married patch! Since then nothing has been done with the estate no upkeep nothing!
    If you turn down an offered house TWICE then DE do not have to offer you a quarter at all?So we are now tenants of DE??

14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Guys I was whinging about the minor irritants - some of the problems you have highlighted are major and should be being dealt with by the chain of command - that's what they get paid for! Its also what the Padre draws his/her shilling for... Use these people.

There is no problem with not marching out provided that someone is holding the contractor who does the cleaning to account. Clearly that is not happening.

Its also clear that nobody in housing side, DE, MODern Housing Solutions etc gives a flying f@ck.

15. It was the minor irritants that used to pi$$ me off too. Like the 8 square metres of damp patch in my spare bedroom. And the power pylons about 2 metres from my balcony.