Quartered Safe Out Here

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Bennett, Jan 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just finished reading Quartered Safe Out Here by G McD F and found it an interesting and informative read. The book its self only covers a small part of the campaign of 14th army in SE Asia. Does anybody know of an autobiographical work that covers a large part of the war in Burma, I was looking for something from a NCOs or young officers POV rather than the memoirs of Bill Slim or other such high ranking personalities.

2. John Masters' 'The Road Past Mandalay' gives a good perspective on Chindit operations IMHO - though it wouldn't qualify for your SNCO/YO rule.

3. GMF makes reference to the Battalion diaries , so they possibly still exist in the Regimental museum?

4. There's an excellent book called 'The wee men' or something like that. Write to the Border Regt Museum in Carlisle, they'll put you right.

5. Beyond the Chindwin: an account of the adventures of number five column of the Wingate expedition into Burman, 1943
    Bernard Fergusson
    A good read.

6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Read everything ever written by GMcDF! His worst books are better than most other authors worst.

7. Cheers, I'm a big fan of Flashman and have also read pyrates. I'm guessing the Mc Austlain (SP) books are worth a read?

8. McAuslan books are quite splendid.
    The man writes beautifully and certainly knows how the jocks tick

9. If you haven't read them yet then fcking shame on you. Stop whatever you are doing RIGHT - FCKING- NOW, get your arrse out of the house to the nearest bookshop and buy the complete set.

10. I believe "Pick up your Monkeys and Parrots" by William Pennington has a chunk about Burma.

The book covers a chap joining up as a boy soldier in the Gunners and follows him to the end of his career by which time he was commissioned, so should cover your requirement for a biog by someone at the sharp end.

11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Whilst researching my family history with my wife in Durham Records Office at County Hall, I found microfilms of the entire WW2 War Diaries of a battalion of DLI. Took Wor Lass a while to work out why my productivity plummeted.

Oh and if you do find, I'd really love to hear because my uncle LCpl Jack Snaith was KIA with 2 Borders up the Irriwaddy on 17 March 1944 and all my searches apart from below have come to naught.

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2526059

12. The McAuslan series is excellent.

13. Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but science fiction author Brian Aldiss wrote a terrific, somewhat autobiographical series about WWII. His fictional character, Signaller Stubbs, goes from France to India and thence on to Burma. He pursues sex every step of the way. Only his time in actual combat deters Stubbs from seeking sex in almost any form. The first book is called The Hand Reared Boy. I don't recall the titles of the next two books but they are well worth reading.