quarter of Russian air force suicidal

Quarter of Russian Air Force fresh conscripts suicidal

MOSCOW. Nov 20 (Interfax-AVN) - A quarter of fresh conscripts of
the Russian Air Force have single parents, while ten percent use
narcotic drugs and alcohol, Air Force Assistant Commander Lt. Col.
Vladimir Drik told Interfax-AVN on Thursday.
"About 25% of fresh conscripts have a high suicidal risk, according
to psychological tests done at the Rostov Air Force/Air Defense unit,"
he said.
"Many fresh conscripts are on the police books, and some of them
have criminal record," he noted.
"The Rostov situation is similar with the one at other Air Force
units," he said.

Brings a whole new take on 'Suicide Bombers'

codbutt said:

narcotic drugs and alcohol, Air Force Assistant Commander Lt. Col.
he said.
units," he said.
Only 10% ?

codbutt said:

narcotic drugs and alcohol
, Air Force Assistant Commander Lt. Col.
he said.
units," he said.
It should be said that mainly lads from poor families are being conscripted. Wealthy ones have abilities to pay for high education. Students are not being conscripted in Russia.

I think that 10% is apparent underestimation. The problem I believe is much more serious.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1021380191.html

Britain's Information Centre for Health and Social Care said 20 percent of surveyed youths ages 11-15 self-reported drug use and half used alcohol.
By the way, the respected leader of the Conservative Party mr.Cameron is a former drug addict.

KGB_resident said:
By the way, the respected leader of the Conservative Party mr.Cameron is a former drug addict.
Please define the KGB definition of the words "drug addict".

When ever I read about the Russian military it only ever seems to re-enforce that they are a joke, and yet they act as if they are the scariest and hardest force history has known.

whitecity said:
KGB_resident said:
Please define the KGB definition of the words "drug addict".
Drug addict (or addict) = drug user, drug taker.

Why do you ask about it Whitecity?

KGB_resident said:

Because, in the English language user and addict are quite different. That's why I asked for the KGB definition.

I'll give you 3 to 1 they're not!

whitecity said:
KGB_resident said:

Because, in the English language user and addict are quite different. That's why I asked for the KGB definition.
Yes I know, there are semantical distinction between two terms. I know the difference. Of course mr.Cameron was rather an occaisional drug taker, not an addict.

I used the word (an addict) just to make my post more provocative. Though a border between a 'taker' and an 'addict' is so subtle.

Back on the topic...

There is a world of difference between suicide risk in population studies and an individual being suicidal. Suicide risk factors are many and varied and based on factors like personality type, family background, drink and drug use, social problems, mental health status, etc.. Many individuals with a shedload of positive risk factors will go through life without ever thinking about harming themselves, let alone actually doing it. On the other hand, people with hardly any risk factors go on to kill themselves. It's just mediated too much at the level of the individual to be predictable in other than highly specific circumstances.

I'd suspect that a similar study of UK recruits wouldn't produce dramatically dissimilar results.

Neuroleptic, I'm not so sure - surely socio-economic factors have a part to play in suicide risk?

RustyBayonet said:
When ever I read about the Russian military it only ever seems to re-enforce that they are a joke, and yet they act as if they are the scariest and hardest force history has known.
--------------------------
Oh dear...Oh dear....the arrogance of 'youth' 'n' obviously the lack of a 'history' curriculum in your formative years...Napoleon.. 'Grand army'...Hitler..6th army not ring a bell....next you'll be believing that we're going to 'Win' against the Afghans...

Mr_Deputy said:
KGB_resident said:
whitecity said:
KGB_resident said:

Yes I know, there are semantical distinction between two terms. I know the difference. Of course mr.Cameron was rather a casual drug taker, not an addict.

I used the word (an addict) just to make my post more provocative. Though a border between a 'taker' and an 'addict' is so subtle.
Let me enlighten further...you may prefer to take sugar in your tea or pepper on your food but could live without adding either to your food and drink. Its just a choice.
Do you mean that if mr.Cameron decides to take drugs again then it would be merely his personal choice?

RustyBayonet said:
Neuroleptic, I'm not so sure - surely socio-economic factors have a part to play in suicide risk?
That's in the "etc"!

KGB_resident said:
whitecity said:
KGB_resident said:

Yes I know, there are semantical distinction between two terms. I know the difference. Of course mr.Cameron was rather an occaisional drug taker, not an addict.

No KGB_resident, it is NOT a "semantical distinction between two terms", their are VERY different in the English language. Maybe the two words when translated into Russian have a similar meaning in your language, but NOT in English.

In English, an addict has a dependency on a substance, a user does not.

It seems your English is not as good as you think it is. :)

whitecity said:
In English, an addict has a dependency on a substance, a user does not.

It seems your English is not as good as you think it is. :)
Wholeheartedly agree.

Asprin is a drug, so is alcohol, weed, paracetemol, medical morphine etc.

At some point in my life I have used them all but am certainly not addicted. When I decide to have a beer in about half an hour, it doesn't mean that I am about to instantly become an alchy.

Anyway, I'm off to score.

Sergey,

I fully support your right to be provocative but this; "...the respected leader of the Conservative Party..." is just inaccurate....

I defy anyone to respect any of our current crop of UK politicians :) Or was that provokatsia as well ?:)

The way Sergei goes on, I'm of the firm belief he's smacked up to his t*ts anyway.

And he's addicted to potatoes. :p

Latest Threads