Quarter of Ambulance Staff to go over 5 years

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by onefourbravo, Apr 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can't comment much, got a night shift to do

NHS savings: London Ambulance Service to cut 890 jobs

BBC News - NHS savings: London Ambulance Service to cut 890 jobs

The London Ambulance Service (LAS) has said it expects to make 890 job cuts over the next five years as part of an attempt to reduce costs.

The LAS, which is trying to save £53m over five years, said 300 staff left each year so most reductions should come from "natural wastage".

The LAS, which employs about 5,000 people, said the cuts would include 560 frontline jobs.

Public sector union Unison warned the cuts were "so deep they may not heal".

The government says it is investing an extra £12bn in the NHS, while savings will be reinvested in patient care.

LAS chief executive Peter Bradley said: "All areas of our business will face closer scrutiny as we look for ways to make savings while improving the care we give to patients.
    'Not immune'

"But with nearly 80% of our budget spent on staff costs it would be impossible to make the savings required without removing posts."

"Unfortunately we are not immune to financial pressures facing the NHS."

A further 330 posts will be removed from management and support services.
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

This is a cull of highly trained staff”

End Quote Eric Roberts London Ambulance Service worker

Unison's regional organiser, Phil Thompson, said: "This is being forced on the service by the government.

"These cuts are so deep they may not heal.

"If allowed to be carried out they will put at risk the many Londoners who rely on the LAS every day."

London Ambulance Service worker Eric Roberts, a Unison official, added: "I am shocked by the size of these cuts. This is a cull of highly-trained staff."

The Department of Health responded with a statement from NHS chief executive Sir David Nicholson.
    'No excuse'

He said: "It is critical the NHS uses efficiency savings to make real improvements in the quality of care for patients.

"There is no excuse to reduce services for patients when the NHS will receive an extra £11.5 billion of funding.

"Every penny saved from measures taken to reduce costs will be reinvested in patient care."

LAS deals with more than 1.5m emergency calls each year, visiting over 1m incidents.

Last year the number of call-outs rose by 4.5%.
  2. I don't suppose people will take care of themselves a bit more in light of this?
  3. I've just read two books "Blood Sweat and Tears" and it's follow-up about a guy in the LAS. He reckons that 90% of his calls are to piss-heads drunk in the street and proper skiplickers wanting their TV channels turned over or someone to pass them their biscuits from a high shelf. If the person ringing gets a FO tablet from the control room, all they have to do is say they have difficulty breathing and an ambulance HAS to be dispatched. Makes shocking reading.
  4. When I was volunteering for the OAS (Oxforshire Ambulance Service) they had a bint who would call the control room via a 999 exactly the same time every Saturday night, telling them she's just swallowed some pills and is dying. When the crew arrived they would get an hour of self-pity and would have to counsel her into the ambulance and all the time she just wanted someone to talk to. More often than not she never took anything.

In the end they positioned a car outside her house ready for her to call, so only that one person was committed. She was shepherded to a response car and dropped off to the hospital in less than 15 mins.

******* disgrace, but they couldn't afford not to attend in case she finally tops herself on a handfull of something dangerous and a dozen WKD
  5. Is there no offence of "wasting the nhs/ambulance service's time"?
  6. My god, I wish there was!
  7. I heard a similar story where a woman would go on the piss then call an ambulance from a boozer in the town centre, saying she was having trouble breathing. The ambulance would get her back to the hospital where she would declare herself recovered and walk to her nearby house. After this had happened a couple of times the ambulance crew drove her to another more distant hospital, saying there was no space at the local one, and left her there to make her own way home.
    One of those tales you hope is true.
  8. Excellent news.
    The NHS is far to big and expensive.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Easy typo to make but the actual title is "Blood, Sweat and Tea" and the author is Tom Reynolds (pen name, reall name, Brian Kellett). Great book. He also had a blog and although he stopped posting a couple of months ago he maintains the blog and you can still see all of his posts. If you look at it I would suggest starting at the early years. In his most recent post he provides links to other blogs with similar content. The blog is at:
    Random Acts Of Reality :: Main Page

By the way his writing is much loved by the EMT/Paramedic community here in the states. Friends who live in that world tell me that it is very similar here but we seem to have significantly less problems with drunks but a bit more of a problem with druggies.
  10. Meanwhile the PCT's that were abolished are merging into mega-PCT's.

11. Thats what happens when the people charged with cutting costs are actually the people who should be on the dole que.
  12. I think it's going to go horribly wrong.
  13. Or even MORE fun, being split between existing PCT's...for example our Outpatients, radiology and elective care now come under one health trust whilst our 4 inpatient wards come under another! So if a patient on the ward has a fall, in the old days if we had an orthopod doing a clinic, he'd pop up the corridor and have a quick look at them.....now he isn't allowed because it's a different trust. They have to call a works bus to take the patient 15 miles into the city centre acute hospital to be seen by someone in the same trust as the ward! I shit you not!
  14. I believe you. And what will happen with the strategic health authorities is anyone's guess. The GP consortia are being pushed together so they will end up like PCT's then we are back where we started.
  15. Not so sure. All the shouting and bleating about cuts is coming from those with a vested interest.
    I don't like this government a great deal but at least they have the spine to do something. Vast spending on the NHS cannot continue in the ways of years gone by.
    I actually quite like the proposed reforms, making hospitals a service provider rather vast unaccountable leviathans can only be a good thing. If they fail to provide a good service at a sensible price they become history. It also means all those middle level morons who have built themselves little empires at the taxpayers expense are destined for the scrap heap. The sooner the better.