Quarter Charges

After being told to move into the mess following a break up from my wife, After taking advice from the NSPCC and the local Childrens Services, I was forced to take legal action as she was violent towards me and the children (I wasnt too worried about myself, and always had to restrain her when she was violent towards the kids, but without me there to protect them I dreaded to think).
The court awarded me residency due to her already having form on this, and I had to do a fastball move to a new quarter (Next door but 1 to the one she has coincedentally) Her 92 days is up next week, but she is staying put in the comfy rent free quarter. She also trades her food stall on our patch, and has assaulted myself and my 6 year old girl with a glass bottle in the last few weeks which she admitted to police. Yet she is allowed to trade on the patch until she vacates the property.
I now find that as I am Category 2 on JPA I have to pay for both quarters, I have already recieved a bill from Defence Business Services for last months, and it states that "Charges will continue to be levied until she vacates the property and formally hand back/ return the keys to DIO Accommodation." This means to me that she can almost stay indefinitely with me paying rent for 2 quarters, supporting 2 kids and coping with all of the expense of moving into a quarter and starting again.
I also have the debt for my wifes business as I financed it, and am paying off solicitors fees from the court case, so although Im keeping my head above water, paying 2 quarters will take its toll eventually. According to JPA 464 a soldier shouldnt pay for 2 quarters, so why am I recieving these bills? Defence Business Services dont answer when I phone, and my RAOs say its out of their hands.

oldbaldy

LE
She is the irregular occupant so I don't see why your getting the bill!
They should be raising the bill in her name not yours.

Hard lines taffridge. Keep chipper!

After the 92 days She should be paying for the quarter that she is living in. I think.
Yep (It might be 93), but once that passes, I sure the military start charging HER the proper rental. (Not the subsidised rate)

If you have any questions about violent wives PM Bravo_Bravo he's an expert.

I have to pay up until the 92 day point but the lady on the phone was very nice and they are not going to come around to kick me in the spuds for it quite yet, and I can pay in installments. However she told my oldest daughter she is gonna be my next door but one neighbour for another 3 months. Surely thats not possible, quarters are like rocking horse Forrest Gump round here

DE Ops should do a hand over take over of the quarter, once she has signed for it she is liable for all rent, if passed the 93 days she will pay the full local rent, also DE will then start legal proceedings to evict from the quarter, you really need to see your welfare officer to get on your side as they should have quite a good relationship with DE OP's I thought you could only be charged for one quarter not two.

STILTS

Wouldn't the person who signed for the quarter (OP?) be responsible for the rent until it is signed back? Which appears not to have happened yet.

Wouldn't the person who signed for the quarter (OP?) be responsible for the rent until it is signed back? Which appears not to have happened yet.
The OP is responsible by default for the 3 month period.
There should be a handover, but the OP will have given the appropriate notification
Should she remain in the property she becomes a trespasser . When his rent liability ends she will be charged damages for trespass

The fact that only one rent should be charged also applies.
But someone ought to do something about that, two rents have presumably happened as notification of the new property has gone into the system

There are a few special circumstances here so you should have the full support of welfare etc to kick all parties to getting action as soon as poss. If double rent isn't sorted then at least a note on the account should be made to flag up and try to
minimse the chance of chase up letters etc. *Common sense ought to prevail in handling this.

The worst part of this will be the grief for the family being so close in these circumstances

The OP is responsible by default for the 3 month period.
There should be a handover, but the OP will have given the appropriate notification
Should she remain in the property she becomes a trespasser . When his rent liability ends she will be charged damages for trespass

The fact that only one rent should be charged also applies.
But someone ought to do something about that, two rents have presumably happened as notification of the new property has gone into the system

There are a few special circumstances here so you should have the full support of welfare etc to kick all parties to getting action as soon as poss. If double rent isn't sorted then at least a note on the account should be made to flag up and try to
minimse the chance of chase up letters etc. *Common sense ought to prevail in handling this.

The worst part of this will be the grief for the family being so close in these circumstances
I don't know the rules, but that is the sensible answer. It needs a human to stick a foot in the computer.

Has she applied to local authority (LA) for housing? Is she on benefits? Usual course of events is to vacate and move into LA pad, or public sector letting if no LA pad available. Benefits usually pick up the tab if there is a shortfall on income. Have you been in contact with SSAFA? They deal with it all the time, and should have it chapter and verse.

She is self employed, I know she wants to stay on the patch as as long as she is here she can trade (an agreement between the Welfare office and her) I have got in contact with AFF. It can take 3 months to evict and change the locks, I have a feeling if the boot was on the other foot a husband would have had his marching orders by now. I will have to keep constant tabs on the kids for a while yet

Keep smiling Taffridge things WILL improve,

I'm not sure about answers to your specific queries but don't lose sight of the fact that you are the parent with care of your children. Therefore you are entitled to Child Benefit, probably some form of Tax Credits and also Child Maintenance. Whilst not addressing your immediate issue they will help to ease the financial pain you are feeling at the moment.

I've been there, seen it and done it (as have lots on here) so best of luck for the future :)

Regards

Berlin