Quantum Mechanics & other strange phenomena

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by Dashing_Chap, Dec 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wave particle duality, entanglement, quantum tunneling. Let's discuss the strangest things in science in this thread!

I'd like to try and form a simple and easy to read layman's guide to cover each topic, if anyone has any good links or websites for QM then post them here.

2. Haven't got a clue what the above means but I'd like to know whether a time machine would ever be feasable? I suppose we'll never be able to go back into the past as that would mean we'd have those from the future visiting us. And if we could go into the future that would mean we could get the technology for a time machine and bring it back into the past. So I suppose one will never be made!

Anyway, back to quantum physics.

erm mechanics.
  3. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

If light travels for ever (we know it does because light from stars is millions of years old) then surely it is only necessary to use Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle in quantum physics in order to travel faster than light. Travellers would then be able to view the past.
  4. ancienturion

Anyway, didn't Richard Feynmann have something to say about this. I'll have to have a root around and see if I can find my copies of his books.
  5. I don't know about a time machine fit for humans but this may interest you:

No paradox for time travellers - physics-math - 18 June 2005 - New Scientist

6. Do you mean 'view the past' or actually go back into the past in a physical form?
  7. ancienturion

View it rather than be able to go back into the past in a physical form. However, if the speed could be matched to that of the travelling information then perhaps one might be able to interact.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. So one day we may actually be able to find out everything in our history which we can only guess at at the moment. Bearing in mind the advances we've made in the last 100 years alone, in 10000 years (if humans are still roaming the earth) then I suppose anything could be possible.
  9. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Does it, the universe is not infinate and will eventually end due Heat Death, Entropy (according to the Heat Death Theory anyhow), no energy, no motion meaning that even photons may not be able to travel.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Was Einstein right ? Or Heisenberg ? Or were they both right depending on which point of view you take ?
  11. Entanglement is the only known phenomena to travel faster than light (as far as I know). This is a very odd situation where two atomic substances can be said to be 'entangled' or connected in some way. As soon as they are connected then manipulation on one immediately effects the other, no matter how far apart they are separated. You could spin one electron and the other one would behave in exactly the same way instantaneously even if it was on the other side of the universe. I don't think anyone's figured out why this is the case yet but it's certainly bizarre.

Spooky quantum entanglement disturbed - Technology & science - Science - msnbc.com

12. Or maybe they're both wrong. I suppose one day scientists will look back on us in the 21st century and think of us as we perceive mesolithic man today.
  13. ancienturion

If ever we do then history will have to be totally rewritten which will upset a lot of people who have written it down (or altered it) to suit themselves.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I understand scientists conduct these experiments in controlled labs (or wherever) but how can they say they'd react the same billions of miles apart unless actually carrying out an experiment in this fashion?
  15. Regarding what? Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity? I believe that's the biggest problem in science at the moment because the two theories don't really fit together. Quantum objects behave very differently from classical Newtownian objects and no-one seems to know why. You don't see your cup of tea appearing in two places at once, but in the Quantum world this sort of thing is a normal occurance.

Regarding the time travel discussion, you could consider that light travels at a constant speed and this has an effect on what we see by the time it reaches our eyes. If a planet is 10 light years away we will see that planet as it was 10 years ago, if it's 100 light years away we'll see it as it was 100 years ago. Now it would be interesting to turn that upside down, what do those guys on the other planet see if they look at earth? They certainly wouldn't see me typing this thread, they'd see Britain as it was in 1910 with a vast empire and battleships sailing about the place, I wouldn't even exist! If they were situated a million light years away they'd be able to look at earth and see dinosaurs running about. Theoretically if they were able to record what they saw via a telescope and beam it to us on a laser then it would be possible for us to view the past just as we do with video cameras. The only problem is that it would take a million years for it to reach us.

Mind blowing stuff when you ponder it for a while!

• Like Like x 1