Quantity of boards

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Mr Happy, Sep 3, 2003.

?
  1. I don't want to hear from the RLC officers, keep them away from my gunner mates

66.7%
  2. I can't find anyone to talk to and if I post anything, do more than 3 people read it?

33.3%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

The number of boards is in my opinion a little large.

I can't be bothered to count how many but I'm sure I have legitimate access to 50% of them - too many to surf through in a quiet 30 minutes. Surely we could have a better split between forwards and rear or regiments and battalions or such so that perhaps there's more to be seen by people.

For example, the TA board is regularly posted 'cos there's lots of STABS around and they can discuss anything but if I was a PTI logging on anyday to debate the issues of what mirrors make me look best I'd have been lonely for the past 3 weeks, also, certain boards like Int Cell and Current Affairs are so practically the same that they could do with an amalgamation.

It's just an opinion but half a dozen boards on arm, current affairs, buy and sell might make life a little easier. I dunno of course, it might make perfect sense to have so many and memberships are up because of it.

Mr H

2. Is their a way of hiding forums? Could do with a way of altering your home page to view the recent post from a few selected forums

3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Will come back to you both. Had a bit of internet / ARRSE overdose over the last couple of months and running the thing is like a never ending pain in the arse at times. Give me a week or so and I'll get on the case. I'd be very interested to see the result of the boards poll as this has been a regular topic of debate in the (hidden) moderators' forum.

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I fear that this board is so out of the way few will come here and see it.

I'll do some stats work as I'm kinda spare at the minute in the office, perhaps it'll help, perhaps it won't.

5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

OK back and with some time on my hands.

Can anyone tell me the exact definitions of the Teeth, Support arms and where everything fits in it - Teeth are Inf, Cav, AAC and RE I think, but I've no idea about the rest. Once I've got that I'll look at combining the various boards.

6. Combat Arms:

The Royal Armoured Corps and Household Cavalry
    The Infantry
    The Special Air Service (SAS) Regiment
    The Army Air Corps

Combat Support Arms:

The Royal Artillery
    The Royal Engineers
    The Royal Signals
    The Intelligence Corps

Combat Service Support Arms:

The Royal Logistics Corps
    The Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
    The Adjutant General’s Corps
    The Army Medical Services
    The Royal Army Chaplains Department
    The Royal Army Veterinary Corps
    The Small Arms School Corps
    The Royal Army Dental Corps
    The Army Physical Training Corps

7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks. Might have to divide those up a bit more I think. Scope for really insulting people here me thinks!

8. Good CO,

Are you going to 'fiddle about' with the boards just on the comments from two users (sorry for stepping on your toes Polarbear and Mr Happy), or have you had loads of PMs and emails reference this? Only, I've also noticed that only two people voted on this thread as well. In my own humble opinion, there's nothing wrong with the lay out as it is. Yes, sometimes there is an enormous amount to go through, but in my own experience, after logging back in after a two week break, it doesn’t take long to go through all the gubbins and alike. Surely you need to canvass more opinion before changing the boards again. I mean, you've only just changed to new software, which caused disruption with your customers. More boards equals more variety equals more input means more customers. Trust me. Look after the customer, and they will take care of revenue. Or something like that.

9. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

OK. What about:

RA & RE (Heavy Metal)
    Aviation - deserve their own board as it's so well used
    REME, Sigs and Int (The brains)
    RLC & AGC
    Prof qual (as current)
    Small Corps (SASC, APTC) any others?

GH - this has been talked about for ages and it's generally accepted that the thing is a bit unwieldy. I've done nothing major yet.

10. I'll keep my gob shut then.

11. I can not see how an amalgamation of Boards by Arm is going to help any one. The current set up works perfectly well.

If we take some one who is R Sigs. At the moment he can click into - Forums - R Sigs - any thead that may interest him, has been updated since he was last online or needs their video fixed.

Your proposal gets him looking in - Forums - REME, Sigs and Int - wade through tons of REME and Slime crap that will have little interest past baiting across Corps lines

Just does not make sense. If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

12. have to agree with Blackhand, its easy to use as it is, anyone having trouble finding a particular corps or regiment should probably ask mummy to help them cos its all laid out in idiot friendly language when you first go into the forum. :twisted:

13. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

You say if it ain't broke, but ARRSE has been running now for about 20 months and some of these boards have 30 odd threads in them. That is not a great hit rate or demand in anyone's books. They get ignored because they sit out if sight way off the bottom of the screen and anyone who comes on generally sees the same old post and blue folder.

I think the sure symptom is that a lot of people automatically post in the Int Cell or Current Affairs as they are then in the lime light. I fully understand the customer business GH, but I have to admit to never reading anything that isn't in the main boards. Mind you, I am a stinking civilian.

I do think that increased use of any board encourages further use and there are a lot of people out there with far less time than me who will only flick around the well used ones. An in response to the "tons of ... slime etc", that's the problem there isn't tons of it to bother wading through.

BUT I MAY BE WRONG! So, no more changes until I get some support and if I don't I'll have a stern word with myself.

14. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

RA and RE are on the same board - surely not...
    8O

15. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Don't worry boss, I've got your six. Am just dusting off my abacus for some convincing arguments backed by figures work. WAIT OUT.

[​IMG]