Quality of Permanent Staff

When I was in the URNU most of the stories stemmed from the unit dinner/unit ball when a large number of guest from other units across the services, came.
And in what context are you using that last word?
Just to clarify, you understand.....

How many PSIs are there in an OTC What's the ratio PSI/OCadets? When I was in the URNU most of the stories of debauchery stemmed from the unit dinner/unit ball when a large number of guest from other units across the services were invited, obviously there was less of an issue with this compared to PSIs shagging around. Two lasses I knew ended up marrying guests from other units they met..
PSI turnover varies, there is some apocryphal story (probably from these hallowed fora!) of the new PSI brief at RMAS with the DS saying "x number of you in this room will likely be removed/posted early and get divorced because of inappropriate interactions with cadets" .
Pause as audience scoffs/nervously titters/feels offended"
DS continues "already this year we have had x, y, z, etc etc"

Cue dawning horror in some/many that this could be the candy store posting from hell...

How many PSIs are there in an OTC What's the ratio PSI/OCadets? When I was in the URNU most of the stories of debauchery stemmed from the unit dinner/unit ball when a large number of guest from other units across the services were invited, obviously there was less of an issue with this compared to PSIs shagging around. Two lasses I knew ended up marrying guests from other units they met..
The URNU take it to another level: Student found guilty of freshers week rape

I’m curious, do you get many ex regulars pitching up and staying for a good while?
In my experience, it covers all bases. I have seen ex regs sack it after literally a couple of months and others, like me, do fifteen even twenty years. I joined thinking I might do four or five years. Next thing I know, I'm getting a bar for my (TA) long service medal. A lot of it depends on the unit. If there are good lads and it's quite a well run place I think an ex reg is more likely to hang about. I suppose I was quite lucky as a couple of blokes from my old lot were already there when I joined. One is still there, he has well over twenty years in by now.

The acid test of how you performed is when you settle in an area where you have completed your last tour as a regular as PSI to a unit which you then try to join. The OC, formerly 2IC, didn't even bother closing his door or lowering his voice to inform John that the long-gapped SSgt post would remain gapped as an empty post would be better than John in post. Would there be anything else?

On the other hand, one PSI noted the declining numbers coincided with his arrival and had a long hard look at himself. Completed his tour, left with a very good reputation within the unit, returned to the Regs, finally leaving the Regs to settle locally he was snapped up with a role being created just to take him on.

Polyester

Old-Salt
In my experience, it covers all bases. I have seen ex regs sack it after literally a couple of months and others, like me, do fifteen even twenty years. I joined thinking I might do four or five years. Next thing I know, I'm getting a bar for my (TA) long service medal. A lot of it depends on the unit. If there are good lads and it's quite a well run place I think an ex reg is more likely to hang about. I suppose I was quite lucky as a couple of blokes from my old lot were already there when I joined. One is still there, he has well over twenty years in by now.
That’s really interesting. Thanks for replying. I’ve fancied it for ages. I phoned an RE unit as I was interested in being a chippy (It’s a hobby of mine)but the guy I spoke to was pretty frank about the challenges of getting AR candidates loaded onto artisan courses. That was a while ago to be fair. I was also very interested in the Int Corp Reserves but keep bottling it as I don’t think I’d be bright enough.

PSI turnover varies, there is some apocryphal story (probably from these hallowed fora!) of the new PSI brief at RMAS with the DS saying "x number of you in this room will likely be removed/posted early and get divorced because of inappropriate interactions with cadets" .
Pause as audience scoffs/nervously titters/feels offended"
DS continues "already this year we have had x, y, z, etc etc"

Cue dawning horror in some/many that this could be the candy store posting from hell...
That sounds like bollocks, because almost all of the female OCdts at Sandhurst are ******* howling.

That’s really interesting. Thanks for replying. I’ve fancied it for ages. I phoned an RE unit as I was interested in being a chippy (It’s a hobby of mine)but the guy I spoke to was pretty frank about the challenges of getting AR candidates loaded onto artisan courses. That was a while ago to be fair. I was also very interested in the Int Corp Reserves but keep bottling it as I don’t think I’d be bright enough.
What was your trade in the RAF?

Aircraft fitter. Airframes specifically but cross trained propulsion latterly though I never used it.
Were you the chap who glued fabric patches onto the Hurricanes to cover the bullet holes in the wings and fuselage? A bit like pasting up the figure 11 targets in the butts.

cymraeg

War Hero
Just my tuppenth worth and probably be given a cheers fits but **** it.

Left after 9 years in the regs. Bounced around the country a bit then finally settled in east anglia and decided to give the ta/ar a whirl.

Found a local ish unit signed up etc and thought right let's crack on.

Decided after a couple of months it wasnt for me.

Couple of examples. The ta (as was) sgt was a proper stand up bloke. Nothing to much trouble, always there to answer questions etc....

2 x full screws who lived for the ta but seriously over compensating for something needed a serious attitude adjustment. Really shouty and wanky when there was no need to be. Pair of big timing cnuts tbh. Will give them their dues for completing a tour but couldn't get their head around people had a life outside of the unit etc....

Quickly got bored of shit we need to find something for the blokes and birds to do. Oooh oooh I know get them to clean rifles (again) and then let's play with placcy soldiers simulating section battle drills ad infinitum.

Couple of other examples but cant be arsed trying to type on the dog. Soon got bored of the above and wombled off

Though been having thoughts again of trying to find a different unit

trying to type on the dog.
Good example, possibly.
I confess that my time in the TA was 50 years ago, long enough to go through most of the right courses, attachments, nightmares and trips, with a few proper exercises before I rejoined into the fabulous regular Cypress Green Corps. The PSIs were quite outstanding, in both the training and squadron roles. The only gremlins during my time were outsiders; a PJI (who gave one of our (excellent, if deranged) officers a lot of lip, and wasn't appreciated) and a RM officer (who snuffled and snorted and objected when Proper Military Esteem wasn't given to another of our officers on the side of a hill). There are other tales of much bullshit but this isn't the place, and I've probably told them here anyway.

Forty years later, I found myself working with a former PSI from quite a while after my time, at a company where we shared a flat with six others during the working week (12-hour shifts). The fecker, who was in his late 60s at the time, seriously asked me if I wanted to borrow his pressup bars for use after work. Fcks sake.

Latest Threads