Quality of Permanent Staff

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Let's face it if you are a young lass, cut free from parental control for the first time, and you have a choice between some wispy-bearded hipster and a proper man with a bit of life experience - who are you going to choose?
I couldn't possibly say ...

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Seems I was one of the few who kept their trousers zipped ;)
I'll join you in that. I did two Gp.A postings at a UOTC; once as a Captain, when my girlfriend had just moved in with me; another as a Major, post SUC, married, new parent. Over the years, I'd say that very few let the little head do all the thinking. Perhaps that's because the local Brigade usually tried to post in sensible people, who mostly stayed sensible (granted, on one of those postings I arrived shortly after the wreckage that comes from having two consecutive COs sacked - politics and punching, though, not shagging)

I found it perfectly easy as an OC to keep just enough distance to not be seen as available. When a slightly drunken but very attractive 19-year-old wanders over and asks if you want to dance (because they've got the music thumping in the bar), you just politely decline... ("Half your age plus seven" was by this point meant "don't touch anything under 24, or you're a creepy old dude" - they were kids, FFS). Don't have any delusions that you're still young enough, or still cool enough. Mind you, the Adjutant did once give me a heads-up to warn me about one WOCdt, when I was asked to sort out some pre-course training. Because my office was opposite the bar, I made damn sure that the door stayed open, and that everyone coming and going to the toilets had a clear line of sight to me, her, the desk, and the whiteboard...

I was slightly less aware and less careful as a 28-year-old Coy 2ic, and many will assume that I had a bad case of the Ghey. I'd offered to hand over some Nirex inserts during the summer as the TACC candidates were heading off (it was the mid-90s; no internet, little computing, few printers). First one said "come round to my flat", and I found myself... overlooking what I too-slowly realised were pointed hints. Second one I made damn sure I met while my girlfriend was in the vicinity, even though I reckoned said WOCdt was non-predatory (spectacularly nice lass, scary bright, went off to the regulars, last seen commanding a reserve battalion). Several of my predecessors in the Coy 2ic job had arrived single, left single, and cut a swathe through the female mess membership...

Last edited:
Sod you that's going to keep me awake now trying to remember the name of a gent who was psao (I think) some years ago. I'm fairly certain it began with E and was similar to a well known football ground.
Were you the chubby ginger haired chick with the thick black glasses. AGC L/Cpl who worked in the Battalion HQ?

halloumikid

Old-Salt
Pretty much the same demographic that goes through Sandhurst. Speak to anyone that's recently left and the stories are similar, though opportunities probably not so abundant.
RMAS CSgts pay into a fund for a ’Survivors Dinner’, held at the end of their two years. Many fall to temptation........

I'll join you in that. I did two Gp.A postings at a UOTC; once as a Captain, when my girlfriend had just moved in with me; another as a Major, post SUC, married, new parent. Over the years, I'd say that very few let the little head do all the thinking. Perhaps that's because the local Brigade usually tried to post in sensible people, who mostly stayed sensible (granted, on one of those postings I arrived shortly after the wreckage that comes from having two consecutive COs sacked - politics and punching, though, not shagging)

I found it perfectly easy as an OC to keep just enough distance to not be seen as available. When a slightly drunken but very attractive 19-year-old wanders over and asks if you want to dance (because they've got the music thumping in the bar), you just politely decline... ("Half your age plus seven" was by this point meant "don't touch anything under 24, or you're a creepy old dude" - they were kids, FFS). Don't have any delusions that you're still young enough, or still cool enough. Mind you, the Adjutant did once give me a heads-up to warn me about one WOCdt, when I was asked to sort out some pre-course training. Because my office was opposite the bar, I made damn sure that the door stayed open, and that everyone coming and going to the toilets had a clear line of sight to me, her, the desk, and the whiteboard...

I was slightly less aware and less careful as a 28-year-old Coy 2ic, and many will assume that I had a bad case of the Ghey. I'd offered to hand over some Nirex inserts during the summer as the TACC candidates were heading off (it was the mid-90s; no internet, little computing, few printers). First one said "come round to my flat", and I found myself... overlooking what I too-slowly realised were pointed hints. Second one I made damn sure I met while my girlfriend was in the vicinity, even though I reckoned said WOCdt was non-predatory (spectacularly nice lass, scary bright, went off to the regulars, last seen commanding a reserve battalion). Several of my predecessors in the Coy 2ic job had arrived single, left single, and cut a swathe through the female mess membership...

So you DID catch a case of the Ghey ..... and have now spent all this time since , regretting about not banging like a shit house door in the wind.

Someone who may or may not have been me, indulged with a very attractive Anglo Indian OCdt, who was only 9 years younger than him ..and enjoyed every inch or her fit body, presumably she did the same as it continued and got to crisis point, only stopping when ..' the person ...' just wasn't a big enough c*nt to leave his Kids for a bit of skirt.

You get to the point of making up reasons to stay by saying things to yourself, like what woman would steal another woman's man and make him leave his own kids? it'll cost me more than money, I'll never be able to call anyone a c@nt again, etc .... that last one was the clincher :)

Oh well..

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Were you the chubby ginger haired chick with the thick black glasses. AGC L/Cpl who worked in the Battalion HQ?
No.

:p

But Goodinson was the name I was trying to remember.

Yet again exactly the same attitude that our PSI.s had in 10 Para. Obviously in the Duke of Yorks HQ, Kings Road, Chelsea there were a number of TA units based there including 21 SAS HQ and A squadron. Our PSI told me once that if he had a bloke who appeared to be a weirdo turn up looking to join he would say to him "Its 21 SAS you need son, they are looking for people like you. They are just across the road".

He was speaking to the PSI at 21 SAS once, who admitted that he did exactly the same, and pointed any weirdo's in the direction of 10 Para. So invariably the would be recruit would say " but I have just been to 21 SAS and they told me to come here", and vice-versa.
Think we got them all at 144. Our London det was full of straaaaaaange blokes.

3 MI Bn are at Worship St now. Re. 39 Sigs, the RHQ went to Bristol but the role went to Bletchley.
Never did like the place. We got moved to Hornsey. The one advantage of Worship st was sniffing the knickers of the ballet dancers (female) who used the place for rehearsals

Going back to when I was a STAB, we had the same permanent reg staff for the whole time I was there. On the whole they were alright but you could tell they were approaching the end of their service time and not that fussed about making a mark or engaging with the unit.

They did their jobs perfectly well though, they just came across, as a result, as a bit aloof and awkward to get along with.

The only real issues we ever had were with the occasional ex-Infantry (ORs) chaps who would leave the regs, join the Reserves and instantly start throwing their weight around as well as one or two of the relics.

By relic I mean the handful of guys we still had in the unit who had been around for ever since the old days of the TA being the mental alcoholics social club. They could be right cnuts but they were pretty much gone by the mid 2000s.

Always funny when you get an ex regular giving it big licks who later turns out to have been hated by all and sundry in their former role.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
We did have a PSI sent to us once because apparently his last posting had come to a firey end, as in, someone had set fire to his office while he was in it.
Strange individual, who insisted that before we made any kind of tactical movement, we had to check magazine and theatrically tap our webbing pouch to make sure they are closed, screaming "POUCHES" as we did it. He got quite upset as a whole company started giggling then flat out laughing as he demonstrated!

Polyester

Old-Salt
Always funny when you get an ex regular giving it big licks who later turns out to have been hated by all and sundry in their former role.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I’m curious, do you get many ex regulars pitching up and staying for a good while?

I think a lot depends on why the bloke has come as PSI.
If he's there cos he's come to the end of his 22, then possibly there won't be much incentive for him be proactive.
If he's there cos there's no slots in battalion for the next rank up, or some such, and he's due togo back, he's going to want a gleaming report so he'll work for the unit he's at.
In recent years we e seen a change in trend for this. Historically most of our PSIs were end of career SSgts serving out their time, but in the last few years they’ve been recently promoted Sgts getting experience before their next posting.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Going back to when I was a STAB, we had the same permanent reg staff for the whole time I was there. On the whole they were alright but you could tell they were approaching the end of their service time and not that fussed about making a mark or engaging with the unit.

They did their jobs perfectly well though, they just came across, as a result, as a bit aloof and awkward to get along with.

The only real issues we ever had were with the occasional ex-Infantry (ORs) chaps who would leave the regs, join the Reserves and instantly start throwing their weight around as well as one or two of the relics.

By relic I mean the handful of guys we still had in the unit who had been around for ever since the old days of the TA being the mental alcoholics social club. They could be right cnuts but they were pretty much gone by the mid 2000s.
Pretty much like my own experience!

How many PSIs are there in an OTC What's the ratio PSI/OCadets? When I was in the URNU most of the stories of debauchery stemmed from the unit dinner/unit ball when a large number of guest from other units across the services were invited, obviously there was less of an issue with this compared to PSIs shagging around. Two lasses I knew ended up marrying guests from other units they met..

Latest Threads