Quality of Permanent Staff

Tuffty

War Hero
Have you ever thought that maybe just maybe your not as good as you think you are and they are trying to weed you out and get rid of the dross

Have you ever thought that maybe just maybe your not as good as you think you are and they are trying to weed you out and get rid of the dross
Now then, now then, play the man not the ball.

What TA/AR experience has caused such disappointment?

You could say the same of the Regulars; when the Regular Army starts chinning off people who are going no further and who are filling jobs which could be done either on FTRS(HC) or by the MoD CS, then I will accept their unqualified right to weed out the Army Reserve. I'm not holding my breath...

You could say the same of the Regulars; when the Regular Army starts chinning off people who are going no further and who are filling jobs which could be done either on FTRS(HC) or by the MoD CS, then I will accept their unqualified right to weed out the Army Reserve. I'm not holding my breath...
Are you suggesting shoite officers and sncos, may take pids postings or whatever you want to call it. to the detriment of those there already? call them morale hoovers...

Are you suggesting shoite officers and sncos, may take pids postings or whatever you want to call it. to the detriment of those there already? call them morale hoovers...
Frozen layer or Frozen chosen

Depending on what your POV is; I.e. to WTE G3 Ops types, its all a bit "there, but for the OJAR ticks, go I", for those in the layer, they think they keep the whole system going.

WFH may have been a wake up call to a lot of people. Never mind AR working remotely, how many HQs can get thinned out?
Think of the capitation savings.... 5 SO3s & 5 SO2s is £1m+ per year even before pensions are factored in

" TD’s proposal would create a self-fulfilling prophecy by making Reserve service so dull that those who might deploy would simply leave through boredom " Yet back in 1989 the reserves was more than twice the size it is now...
Back in 1989 the TA were working towards a target of 90,000 set in about 1984, although they never quite made that figure before the end of the cold war. Even in 1999 before the big cuts in TA infantry they were about 40,000.

Frozen layer or Frozen chosen

Depending on what your POV is; I.e. to WTE G3 Ops types, its all a bit "there, but for the OJAR ticks, go I", for those in the layer, they think they keep the whole system going.

WFH may have been a wake up call to a lot of people. Never mind AR working remotely, how many HQs can get thinned out?
Think of the capitation savings.... 5 SO3s & 5 SO2s is £1m+ per year even before pensions are factored in
To be honest brigade staff serve a purpose…as do battle group task force officers and personnel, who may have that slight bit of knowledge to assist the person on the ground needing steered...
Having the ability to spot the good the keech and the downright self serving shoite. Is often down to gut feelings, spider senses and the sudden reaction of your nose.

The army has become smaller hiding people out of sight is harder to do...

To be honest brigade staff serve a purpose…as do battle group task force officers and personnel, who may have that slight bit of knowledge to assist the person on the ground needing steered...
Having the ability to spot the good the keech and the downright self serving shoite. Is often down to gut feelings, spider senses and the sudden reaction of your nose.

The army has become smaller hiding people out of sight is harder to do...
Most Bde HQs aleady run pretty hot for SO3 & SO2 manning as there isn't an uplift for career courses - the gaps that open up when some go and that don't when others do is educational...

Hohenidoom

Clanker
Our place has a pretty good AR/Reg COC relationship, but I do often sit and wonder what the actual point of our reserve COC is. We're there if stuff mucks up, and I have my usefulness for looking pretty in front of the Brigadier but bar that the PSIs run the show entirely. Mostly, alas, still not in a way that always works for the reserve.

It's understandable because of our lack of time yes, but it strikes me that if the unit can survive without it's reserve COC then either the PSI system needs a rethink or Reserve Officers do.

Just not yet. I need my Reserve pay to fund my crippling smack habit I've developed during lockdown.

The_Duke

LE
We're there if stuff mucks up, and I have my usefulness for looking pretty in front of the Brigadier but bar that the PSIs run the show entirely. Mostly, alas, still not in a way that always works for the reserve.
Probably the greatest routine value of the Reserve CoC is to provide the common sense check that is so frequently required. If the snippet above has some truth behind it, you have more work to do yet.

As an example, we had a very good TM (came back as CO later) who was putting together the pre-deployment training programme for a HERRICK. He proposed a 2 week battle camp to improve basic skills (good idea) to run immediately before Chilwell (bad idea). Because he had never been in that position, he couldn’t grasp that employers would see that as asking for holiday immediately before leaving for 12 months, requiring an earlier handover to any replacements etc. For those without additional TA leave, they would have had to use annual leave, perhaps preventing a holiday with their family.

A bit of chopping and changing, cut Chilwell to the bare minimum and run the camp once mobilised and the same aims were achieved without mucking employers or families around, at the cost of a week which would otherwise had been spent mooching around Colchester.

Hohenidoom

Clanker
Probably the greatest routine value of the Reserve CoC is to provide the common sense check that is so frequently required. If the snippet above has some truth behind it, you have more work to do yet.
Absolutely, and that's a role every reservist with even a modicum of sense attempts to fill.

A very personal example, but at our place the day staff outnumber the reserve staff quite considerably, and the appointments made up of ex-regs who seem to crack into line with the PSIs at will. Practically anything we do try to raise or have input into is like pissing in the wind - prior to this winter flu bug that's going about I suggested tweaking training, was accused of undermining the training officer and marched into his office for a recorded interview without coffee.

Imagine my shock when the same idea is proposed days later by the SPSI to great ovation.

There's a great chance I'm just being an overenthusiastic subaltern. However, anything I seem to suggest or try to influence is shot down; all decisions from the very minor upwards are the preserve of permanent staff and I'm left feeling incredibly stupid in front of my blokes that I'm meant to be helping.

How does the permanent staff CoC work in an Inf coy ?

who do they report to? Coy OC? Unit CO?

here they report directly to the Unit CO

Absolutely, and that's a role every reservist with even a modicum of sense attempts to fill.

A very personal example, but at our place the day staff outnumber the reserve staff quite considerably, and the appointments made up of ex-regs who seem to crack into line with the PSIs at will. Practically anything we do try to raise or have input into is like pissing in the wind - prior to this winter flu bug that's going about I suggested tweaking training, was accused of undermining the training officer and marched into his office for a recorded interview without coffee.

Imagine my shock when the same idea is proposed days later by the SPSI to great ovation.

There's a great chance I'm just being an overenthusiastic subaltern. However, anything I seem to suggest or try to influence is shot down; all decisions from the very minor upwards are the preserve of permanent staff and I'm left feeling incredibly stupid in front of my blokes that I'm meant to be helping.
Transfer. Life is too short to stress out and have that much grief over what is in essence your hobby.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just out of interest, how has training been affected by the apocalypse?
I can't speak for everyone but we've had to bin the normal weekend exercises, and things like driving, signals and gunnery courses have been curtailed apart from those deploying with our regular paired regiment. Weekday evening training has moved online and has worked reasonably well with a bit of lateral thinking and IT creativity.

What did your OC have to say about this?

How does the permanent staff CoC work in an Inf coy ?

who do they report to? Coy OC? Unit CO?

here they report directly to the Unit CO
Depending on the cap badge God has to respectfully knock on the Psaos door before said psao deigns admittance
Allegedly

Latest Threads