Quality of Kit?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by 0311Matt, Aug 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Over here in the States, there is a plethora of aftermarket kit manufacturers (High Speed Gear, Tactical Tailor, SO Tech, Extreme Gear Labs, Kifaru, Eagle Industries, etc.).

I've noticed that the main players in the UK market seem to be Arktis, SASS, Wyvern and Web-Tex. What is the quality of the kit that these companies are producing? I've heard that Web-Tex is pretty much sh*t, but what about Arktis, SASS and Wyvern?

2. Wyvern are about the best . The rest of them are really for the army cadets .

3. I've got an eagle industries daysack that I bought from a PX in bosnia over 5 years ago and its still going strong despite my best attempts to trash it. I'd recommend it no problems. I don't know what the rest of their kit is like though

4. Eagle Industries stuff is virtually bombproof. Very well made, a bit pricey though, but you get what you pay for. Unless your daysack gets destroyed through an IED blast or some other combat action, it'll probably outlive you in terms of servicability.

The only downside to their kit is that it's hard to get in that most of their production stuff is being snatched up by big contract orders for US SOCOM units that have huge budgets, ie. Army SFs, 75th Ranger Regt., Navy SEALs, etc.

There are a few places here in the States that do stock it. I'd recommend:

OP Tactical: www.optactical.com
    and
    Lightfighter Tactical: www.lightfighter.com
    (just be sure to ask Lightfighter whether the stuff is in stock, otherwise you may be waiting quite awhile on backorder without any notification).

5. Being a highly trained matelot, cough, I was well chuffed when I seen THEM wearing the same backpacks whilst on MCT exercises. It cost me the best part of 100 quid though at the time. I'm now looking at getting one of those Camelbak Motherlodes. All the spams are using them where I'm working. Does anyone know if they're actually any good apart from the water carrying bit?

6. [​IMG]

This is the badger but I've got it in black. I've also noticed that they've come down in price to around 70 pounds

7. if you want good kit, try smamit.co.il an its in israel but they design and build bergens and webbing, to your own design, not that much more expensive than over here but it is good kit and if the IDF use it cna t be bad.
    as for yank kit, there is loads knocking about, but you cnat tell if they are any good or not, as for the camel mother lode, one of the lads has one and it is good, get all your kit in plus holes in the top for radios and the like, might get one my self

8. I've got a motherlode Its bombproof very well made but think its a bit complicated as a it has a lot of diffrent compartments
    divders etc .Think its great as a day to day daysac weekend bag .if you like having a little place for everything its ideal .
    Never had a problem with sass or arktis stuff .

9. Matelot,

Why do you want to get rid of your Eagle A-III? My platoon Sgt. whilst I was in Iraq had one and it's a great pack.
    The Camelbak Motherlode is definitely not the quality that the Eagle A-III is.

If you're looking for a different panel loader you might want to have a look at these packs when you consider that the Camelbak Motherlode would set you back about 80 pounds.

PPM Medium Assault Pack, 111 GBP http://www.optactical.com/measpa.html
    TAG 3-Day Pack, 60 GBP http://www.optactical.com/noname18.html

10. I don't want to get rid of it at all! Its a hoofing bit of kit! I just like my gizzits and being on a base with a PX makes me realise how shite our facilities are back in the uk. And how bloody expensive the kit is.

11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

A bit harsh there Recce-Cpl !
    Wyvern's ok but I've found some of their kit needs double stitching. (Or has in the past.)
    Often it's just a case of personal preference, just make sure that the kit is of the required standard.

That said, there are some firms that produce crap or just non-MilSpec kit, Webtex/Viper/Thatchreed (same firm) claim theirs is now IRR.
    (The phrase lying like a cheap NAAFI wrist-watch springs to mind, have checked their stuff through IR...)
    Raven is another company that uses 'visual-only' DPM.

However other places do make kit for the MOD and all materials must meet or exceed strict standards, in fact one of those the MOD uses produces the items in the ARRSE Shop:
    Bergans - http://www.arrse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=28&osCsid=1aa3a3554f29473013a5d0a34b4a668d
    Webbing - http://www.arrse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=30&osCsid=3b6a2cd89ae971565695c53665c71a43

Check out the prices, they're not low because of shoddy materials.

12. What happened to Wyvern, have they dissapered?

13. Links not working cutaway :?

14. He made the post 2.5 years ago, it's hardly surprising if they don't work :D