Qualified ODP regular entry or just TA?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by chezacoote, Jun 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have applied to Birmingham City University for the ODP course, with the plan to apply to join the army as a regular once qualified. I just wanted to confirm that I can apply for the regulars as a qualified ODP, or can qualified ODPs only join the TA.

Any information would be greatly appreciated .

2. Of course you can join as a qualified ODP, if this is a wah its crap.

3. Hehe Thank you for your reply. Stupid question I guess. I will just get on and get qualified then.

4. Also you should consider getting in contact with Birmingham field hospital TA and do a bit with your spare time and gain at experience by being gaining exposure to current serving ODP's

5. Just out of interest, what rank would you come in at? Do you know? What career ops are there as an ODP?

6. I honestly couldn't say for sure but I think you would join as a Cpl the same as the QA nurses and there are plenty of career ops a friend of mine is a regular ODP and is a WO2 looking at his WO1! and there is amazing experience to be gained on tour!! It's goto be worth a call to the local TA unit for some clarity though.

7. you wouldnt come in as a Cpl. there are qualified ODPs who are LCpls. There is a lot of opportunity to deploy both as a Regular or TA ODP. As for promotion, youve still got to get the good reports, be selected for promotion and of course, hope that there is a vacancy.

8. Now you know for definite, as I said I couldn't have said for sure its not my trade I am only a lowly CMT :) all the best in whatever you decide to do.

9. 'lowly CMT'? Back bone of the Corps and of course the main feeder trade for the other RAMC trades, although id never say that to a CMT in person.

10. WO2 friend looking at WO1. That narrows it down somewhat knowing the size ofthe trade. Long wait though til the board in November. Lol

11. Presumably then, a qualified paramedic would also come in as a Cpl?

12. why would that be?

13. No if you joined as a qualified paramedic then like the ODP's as filbert says you would start as a pte and with the appropriate time spent in rank and good SJAR's recommending you for promotion you would then promote. I transferred into the RAMC in 2005 after 9 years as a infantry soldier I am now a fully qualified paramedic and I can honestly say transferring from the Inf to the Corp was the best move I have done!