Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by o0matt0o, May 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I understand that to qualify for officer training 2 A levels are needed, but what about a diploma which holds the equivalent of 2 A levels? Would that be accepted?
  2. What is the diploma in? Which governing body awards it? Who has endorsed the equivalence?

If it's awarded by a recognised institution then probably.
  3. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

You need to check with a Senior Careers Advisor who can give you a definitive answer. The basic qualification is 5 GCSEs at grade A-C including English language, maths and a science or foreign language; 240 UCAS points (i.e., the equivalent of 2 A levels at grade A) or their equivalents from Scotland and/or any similarly barbarous location from which we accept officer cadets. Equivalency is tricky and I believe it's the senior education advisor at AOSB who makes the final call, but an SCA should be able to get access to some proper advice in your case.
  4. Be aware that although those are the minimum standards, the vast majority of successful applicants will have attained much more than just those minimum academic standards.
  5. As Brave-Coward above says, the majority (80-85%, or something like that) have degrees, but don't let that worry you - as long as the SCA say's the diploma counts, that's all that matters.
  6. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

No it doesn't count. You cannot say what it equates too (maths etc). There is no test at the end of the course and it does not confirm any academic ability. Colleges make a massive thing of 'it equates to this and you can join the Army as an officer after this course. It does NOT equate, you just gain the same number of points. You cannot join as an officer on this course alone.

Just to slightly amendment to cpunk's relply - Itis a minimum of ALIS points from you top 7 GCSE's, not 5. You must have completed all 7 GCSE's. Three of the subjects must be those he highlighted.