Qualifications required for Armourer

On the Army Jobs website it says that I need:

'D in Mathematics, Double Science and English Language'

I've currently got a C in maths and an A in English Language and an A in English Literature.

I don't have a science grade yet but it's not my strong point. If I fail to get a D, is there no chance of me getting the job?

The requirements on the British Army website (not Army Jobs) says that there's another option:

GCSE: Grade D in English language, mathematics and a science.
Or,
First or National Certificate in Engineering, City and Guilds Level 1 in Basic Engineering Competence or partial completion of Level 2 modules.

I'm currently in my second year of a National Diploma in Engineering (level 2). Is this enough to be qualified to get the job or is the information on the Army website outdated? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am an uneducated regarded as a useless ****. I can handle a file.
You have armourer potential

My maths grade has just gone up from a D to a C, so I think I should get a D in science.

I found out the other day that I had a C all along in double science so I've got the qualifications for the job, it just depends on how I do at selection and my BARB test.

Now that I've got a C in maths and a C in science it also lets me apply for ammo tech. I know this is the REME forum so the views might be a bit bias but would anyone point out the benefits of either job, ammo tech & armourer? Thanks.

I found out the other day that I had a C all along in double science so I've got the qualifications for the job, it just depends on how I do at selection and my BARB test.

Now that I've got a C in maths and a C in science it also lets me apply for ammo tech. I know this is the REME forum so the views might be a bit bias but would anyone point out the benefits of either job, ammo tech & armourer? Thanks.
Ammo tech as far as i've heard is basically an ammo storeman for years until you get some real responsibility.

Whereas armourer, if your a big geek and a gun nut like me is fantastic. The amount of kit i've played with only 5 months into training is unreal.

You must like the company of weapons as you'll be spending a lot of time with them by yourself at inspection time. I did about two years then popped smoke and went off to Sandhurst and Officer Trg so I may not be the best to take advice from!!

Anyone know if there's much difference in pay between the two?

Ammo tech as far as i've heard is basically an ammo storeman for years until you get some real responsibility.

Whereas armourer, if your a big geek and a gun nut like me is fantastic. The amount of kit i've played with only 5 months into training is unreal.
Do armourers get to test fire weapons?

asking pretty much every armourer ive come across at seme.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Well i am proving you wrong, I take it you dont test fire the L7A2, L85A2 and the rest of the weapons after you do your re builds anymore?
When I am on the ranges and carry out a repair after the user/mong has fucked it up, it's nice to put a few mags/belts through it. proves it works and gives him something to clean.

Do armourers get to test fire weapons?
Only the ones they manage to fix.....so rarely

Of course they do what a bone question there not like a B Mech who kicks a tyre and says its now servicable :)

did my class two course at seme back in 2001, was told by the civvi instructor who had been there for 30 odd years that the regular and TA armourer courses no longer test fired on the range next to the classroom because of H and S!!

Never, anyone that says otherwise lies.
You're joking....right? I've fired all sorts of shit. Nothing better than having a cabby on the range with something you don't have to clean afterwards.

Edited to add: It does depends on who you are, and where you are, and who you're with. If you're a complete throbber to the guys you're supporting you'll get jack shit off them by way of fun.

I was on the "interest range" at the CORPSAAM. Got a list somewhere of all the gats that were on it. Got to fire most of them. Although we didnt have the correct ammo calibre's for some. Was very interesting taking em all appart for others to clean after each day though. The first thing the regular Serg amourer i was working under did on the first day was strip a MP5 down to see how the 3 round burst worked mechanically