Qualifications needed for Sandhurst. Medical degree not enough..advice please..

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by ANDYYORKS, Feb 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Appreciated the useful comments.
  2. Just a thought, but perhaps the decision has been made because we're full at the moment, and the goalposts are of the five-a-side-down-the-gym version rather than the FIFA-standard ones?

Best of luck to you, if you decide to go down the RAF route. They're chokka as well.
  3. Thanks. It's not actually me.
    If that's the reason, shouldn't they say? He's planning to get more A levels, which would be a waste of time, if full.
    All the best.
  4. Sorry, standard Arrse retort.
  5. Let me see if I understand.

The individual concerned has a medical degree from a top university. And he wants to join the Army, presumably not as a doctor.

Two things spring to mind:

1. What a waste of a medical degree.

2. Maybe it is his sanity that is in question, not his education.
  6. Or level of commitment. Spent X years gaining a degree, then decides to dump the qual for something a little less esoteric.
  7. He'd agree to both those entirely!
  8. Therein may lie the issue.

9. Oh, I sense this wasn't the place to get helpful advice/ insight.

FYI Lots of people don't do careers based on their degrees. A four year medical degree does not leave you qualified as a doctor, or even paramedic, but this is going off on a tangent..BACK TO MY POINT - surely an indication of some level of academic ability.
  10. Surely you don't honestly expect a qualified answer from an internet chat forum?

Hey, we could save a mint by closing down all the ACIO, and the Army's well-publicised web-based careers portal at Upavon.
  11. I agree entirely with your basic premise. Degree trumps A levels. I am equally certain that there is more to this than meets the eye.
  12. Funny old world everyone I know who has a medical degree tend to be doctors and nurses. Couldn't you hack it?
  13. Very hard to know. He was advised if he got more UCAS points (more A levels to make up 160 UCAS : despite his degree worth 260 according to the university) they would welcome an application...

anyway, thanks and best of the best to you all.
  14. dizzy.chick

dizzy.chick Clanker Book Reviewer

Andy I hate to say it but even if the degree trumps A-levels he got a 3rd. When you take into account the poor preformance at A-level for whatever reason the accademic ability is obviously lacking. If he had done badly at A-level and excelled in his degree then that would show academic ability. No A levels and a low pass on a degree does not.

Good luck whatever he decides to do
  15. Yes, I see your point/ their point then. Appreciate your helpful, honest response. Many thanks and all the best to you.