Qualifications Help

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by benboy1996, Apr 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey, basically i did not do my qualifications at the end of school due to certain reasons and i am now looking in to joining the army, i would like some advice on equivalents and such.

I am doing my Maths and English GCSE which i am expected to get a C in as well as doing a level 2 btec diploma in IT which is equal to 4 GCSEs A-C grade.

With those levels would i be able to get a job such as Qualifications: GCSE Grade C in Math, English Languages plus one GCSE in Physics, Science or Integrated Science.

I am also considering doing a btec level 3 extended diploma in software development which is equal to 3 A levels and if needed will do the additional GCSEs i require.

Now with those combined qualifications would i be able to get a job with the requirements such as Qualifications: 240 UCAS points and 35 ALIS points at GCSE, (including a minimum grade C in English, Maths and a science or foreign language).

:oops: Last question i swear..... do GCSE And A level Equivalents count when it comes to joining the army?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and i appreciate any help i can get.
  2. It sounds as though you're very determined to make up for not taking your exams at the usual time. Well done.

I'm not posting to give you any steers as I don't know the answer to your questions - and, to be frank, I'm not sure what your questions are - but late Friday night isn't the best time to post a serious question and hope to get a response. Come back in the morning and bump your thread back into the Last 50 by adding another post.

One thought that comes to mind is that with the courses you've outlined, you're going to be studying for the next three years or so, so you've plenty of time to get your answers and make decisions.
  3. Thanks for the great reply, i will take what you said in to consideration.

My question more simplified is, can i get in to army with the grades that i will be achieving, more specifically the requirements i included in my previous post. It is important to me to know now so that i can correct my education by taking the additional courses that may be required.

I have asked friends, family, tutors, the online army people and even gone as far as phoning the careers office but i cant seem to get a proper answer. I will book my self an appointment with a army careers officer as soon as i get the chance but for the minit the questions are really eating at me.
  4. It really depends what job or trade you want to do which will determine wether you have the right qualifications or not. It looks as though you have a career path in mind so perhaps you should look at what they want.
  5. I would like to get a more specialized job career rather than the more basic roles.

E.g specialized job, Qualifications: GCSE Grade C in Math, English Languages plus one GCSE in Physics, Science or Integrated Science.

Officer, Qualifications: 240 UCAS points and 35 ALIS points at GCSE, (including a minimum grade C in English, Maths and a science or foreign language).

I am trying to figure out if my equivalent qualifications and such suit me to either of them roles, as i cant find any information on it.
  6. I think you are asking the wrong question. Decide what you want to do first, its probably the most important point. If I may, most careers also ask for a science qualification. Does your IT quals count as a science?
  7. Im not sure if my IT quals equal a science, but they might because there classed as a computer science, also i said that i was willing to do a science along with my next level course.

i am looking at lots of different jobs but the ones that have caught my fancy are the engineers, ammo tec, dog handler and intelligence operator. Three of these jobs require the Three Cs, Maths, English, Science. I then thought that i am doing A level equivalents next year so maybe i could get in as an officer but then the problem with not having enough ALIS points if the GCSE equivalents don't count arised.
  8. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

You need to be careful when doing 'equivalents'. The uniformed public services course for example makes a big thing of equating to e A levels, but the question is what A levels. If there is no formal test at the end they are realistically not recognised by the Army.

The 35 ALIS points MUST come from your top 7 GCSE's and the UCAS points must include at least 2 A levels (officer route)

Generally most of the jobs requiring qualifications state GCSE Maths, English and Science or IT so you should be OK.

Dog Handler doesn't require any GCSE's. Ammo Tech and most RE jobs do as does Int Corps.

Hope this helps and good luck
    • Like Like x 2
  9. I was told three years on a UPSC gave an applicant 2 million UCAS points and automatic rank of a Brigadier.....well its how most sell themselves of what you will get out of the course......in reality as SUP_REC rightfully states.........its ok Booti I'm keeping a watchful eye on his comments and ready to pounce when he fcuks up.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

You talking about me Iron? If so, get a good book you're in for a long wait :)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Sorry for the thread hijack, I'm interested in the intelligence operative role but only have 4 GCSE's over a C grade, however I do have two Level 2 qualifications which are apparently worth a C grade, does anyone know if they would be acceptable ?