Qualifications gained and life after the army

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by timbo130585, Apr 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone, this is my first post onto the forum and i have one quick question. I am looking to join the army and im looking in particular at the int corp. I just wanted some idea of what qualifications/training i can expect to get while in the corp and the sort of career opportunities are available to me after the army with the skills i would have learnt? Are there opportunities to work with UK government intelligence agencies etc? I have browsed the forum for but could not find an answer.My apologies if the topic has been covered previously.

Many thanks :D
  2. Int Corp., is that a subsidiary of UK Govt PLC?
  3. Do you wish to be a soldier, whether in the Int Corps or not? Or would you really prefer to join SIS ? If so then feel free to apply to them directly as they are now advertising openly...the Int Corps is not a backdoor route of entry though. Did you really expect to find information on this website about how, why, when, where or if the Int Corps works with other government agencies?

You might well find yourself working in Security/Risk management after you leave.

Also, you might wish to look at the top sticky thread in this part of the forum.

Best of luck, whatever you choose.
  4. Go to the careers office and ask them.

Then, about turn, exit the office and don't believe a word they said and join the Royal Corps of Signals.

Works a treat every time!
  5. Don't you mean SAS?

6. Civvie Qual's you get with little or no effort outside what you would normally be doing

Institute of Management accredited qualification - Team Leader (LCpl/Cpl) through to a Diploma in Management (one step down from the Degree and fully convertable) (Sgt-Warrant Officer)

NVQ Level 2 in Business Adminstration
    NVQ Level 3 in Intelligence and Analysis (TBC)

Various Home Office Sy Quals - Don't know much about them but things to do with the exciting topics of CCTV and Lighting!

Quals you could 'potentially' gain:

BA/BSc Security Risk Management
    Basic Language training through to an Interpretership(usually one useful to the Queen)
    MA International Relations and Politics (Subject to you doing an Interpretership first)

Plus all the AT Quals and anything that you do off your own bat using the Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) to do distance learning

They are the ones just off the top of my head.

Hope that helps
  7. My artistic skill-set benefited from an early qualification in Landrover and Trailer Painting. ( impressionist school)

I also got I distinction for my Nutritional thesis on "Haverbags I have eaten" which topped the credits on my paper on " waiting in the departure lounge".

Unlike Mr Potato Head of East Dorset, I could not manage a Masters in Mathematics. My work on the "Philosophy of time" was based on extensive accademic research conducted whilst waiting for 4 tonners and unservicable aircraft to arrive.
  8. Was that 1/2, 3/4 or 1-Tonne Landrover? It all adds to the value, there aren't that many 1-tonners around these days.
  9. I've got an MSc in Van, 1-tonne, EW/Y and a DPhil in "what the fook is a fording plug?". That all sits nicely with my NVQ3 in stuffing a shot-out 9mm down the back of my jeans and my O Level US Armyspeak (oral module).
  10. Seriously and, taking them in order:

Qualifications, well they are available and if you have an eye on the fact that you will be leaving at some point, get some. They're not hugely important to the Army, which tends to concentrate on what you can do, as opposed to what pieces of paper you have.

Career possibilities are endless. Ex-Corps people do all sorts of stuff. As you'd expect, you run across a lot in the government service, various and also in the security and risk industry.

If you want to work with a UK government intelligence agency, join one.
  11. Thanks for your intrest Timbo.

It would be interesting to know what the UK taxpayer is going to get in return ??

No wonder they killed him off so early :(
  12. I was thinking along similar lines. It is interesting how people talk about leaving before they have even joined.
  13. I started my education in my 3rd year of service (my OU degree). I am now in my 20th and have loads of useful and relevant quals ready for when I leave-and I am still studying. I thank my lucky stars that I began when I did. Anyone who is thinking about life post Army before they join is well squared away and should do just fine. There is plenty of oportunity for funding and help from the system.

If you join at 18 you'll be out by 40 under the new terms-add in Brown's utopia where you work to 70 (to fund your 50 year mortgage)and your post Army career is possibly more important than you Service.

Edited because typing is an area for future study, obviously.
  14. I'm with you on this one. Having recently left the glorious Corps, there is one thing that really gripped my shi'ite in my last year:

People saying 'you'll walk in to a job you will'.

Some people need to get with the real world. Thankfully I did walk in to a job, but its a lot harder than people think. I squandered my resettlement time on loose women and binge drinking (only joking). In hindsight I wish i'd done a plastering course, or plumbing.

Having DV helps but most of the interesting jobs that pay OK are all in London or involve you having to sort out life insurance and hire an accountant while you swan off to a sand box somewhere with no firesupport weapons and a lonely drive from the Airhead. Unless you want to be a sales rep for ADT. It is true that employees like military traits (good time keeping, smart dress sense, get the job done no moaning attitude) but some are also scared that you might be a bully or a socially inept muppet. Remember, their impression of the forces is usually what they see on TV or from war stories told them by the 37 year old who works as a post runner who is in the TA REME. He's never deployed. He would of liked to but he's on covert Ops in the UK

Also, I understand why there is the 'signing off' year but the Army should really wake up. How likely are the chances that you will find employment to begin exactly when you leave? Yes, yes, CO's discretion, but what about if your CO is a chopper? What if the job want you to start 6 months before you're struck off date? How about when you've done min 6 years you can PVR?

Everyone should use their education credits. When you leave, use your grants and time wisely. If you want to do Int work, get on a Research and Intelligence Support Centre (RISC) course down at Wyboston (Bedfordshire). I can recommend the strategic analyst course, the entry level analyst course is OK, but anyone with at least one tour doing real combat int should breeze it and it wouldnt teach anything new.

The OU Sociology and Theology ( :roll: yes its true) Degree is a good one - discusses changing social values and how they impact upon the world, including the rise of international terrorism and where suicide bombers are likely to come from etc. If you dont use you Enhanced Learning Credits while you're in service, remember you do take them with you when you leave (but I believe its only up to 90% of the course or something like that).

ICAREC is a good source of information.

If there are any spelling mistakes, I apologies, but I don't have time to proof read before I hit Submit.

Peace Brothers.
  15. True, sooooo true.

Couldn't agree more - the best and worst elements of trying to find a job were people's attitudes -

The best - the European General Manager of pharmaceutical company who appreciated having ex-forces personnel working for him and who offered me a great job with a good salary...

The worst - the w@nker at a certain national recruitment agency who, despite having my CV in front of him detailing the six languages I speak*, management experience as a SNCO etc. etc., still decided to offer me a job as a supermarket security guard on nine grand a year...

The Army has always been crap at recognising that its soldiers need civvy quals for when they leave (although it is a lot better today than it was ten years ago). You have to look after No.1 when it comes to your second career as a civvy and you have to start planning from Day 1.

*OK - can order beer in...