Qualification certificates

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by JFMephisto, May 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm thinking of joining up as an Officer soon, but one of the things I think I'll need to get sorted are my GCSE and A-Level certificates. I lost the bloody things years ago, and apparently it'll cost a bomb to replace them.

Will I actually be required to produce them? I have proof of my degree results, but not the GCSE & A-Levels. I suspect I know the answer - yes - but would like to know for certain before splashing out and actually getting all my results again.

2. i am not sure if you HAVE to have them but i am fairly confident you do

i heard about £30 per certificate
  3. Surely the very fact you have a degree, and proof of the degree says that you have the required GCSE's and A-levels. As aren't they needed in the first place before you can even start your degree?
  4. I know with my A level certificates the different bodies give you all your results on one certificate. eg My History and Geography a levels are on the same certificate, so £30 a pop might not be a bad idea.
  5. See, I was hoping that. But then I thought that it was technically possible to get a degree without necessarily having pass grades in all three English, Maths and Science GCSEs.

For example, I think I could have feasibly got my degree without having a Maths pass grade (I do, but don't have the certificate obviously), because I did humanities/arts subjects at A-Level then degree - my BA is in History & Politics.

I've rung around the exam boards and I've worked out it'll cost me about £128 to get replacement certificates for my A-Levels + the Maths, English and Science GCSEs. Serious pain in the arse.

I think I'm holding out a forlorn hope that I won't have to produce them at some point but that would be ideal.
  6. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Surely, when you matriculated you had to have a pass of some sort in Maths and a Science. I know for a fact that it was a condition of matriculation into the University of Wales when I went.

Editted to add:

If it was a requirement of matriculation, and you still have your matriculation cert, along with your Degree, it might be a starting point.
  7. i am not convinced myself all this 'in theory' stuff will work
  8. You need to produce your education documents after your briefing as part of your application so you can move on to main board. It think the waiting time about three months for briefings jsut now so you'll have plenty of time toget them.
  9. Why not just ask? explain you have a degree and that you lost your certificates and its better to get a definate answer from them rather than go out and spend £130 or whatever when you might not need them. On the other hand you might need them but surely its worth asking them for a straight answer?
  10. dont know it it'll apply to officer applications but my AFCO advisor told me i had to get my GCSE certificates for them if the army were going to acknowledge the grades.
  11. Same here he still put my job choices down but I need to take them when I next go or they will just remove the choices which require the grades.
  12. i just got the advisor to scrub the choices then and there, dont wanna be a dentist or nurse told him to take chef off while he was at it! lol
  13. I had the same problem for my A-Level results. I phoned up and asked, they said that all you need is a letter from the school where you did your GCSEs and your A-Levels. Just get that letter and send it off to your sponsor. Don't bother forking out cash for certificates.
  14. If you speak to OCR, AQA or EDEXCEL they should be able to send consolidated lists of all the grades you received, you do not need certificates ;)