Quad SLi/CrossfireX

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Uberware, Oct 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What are peoples thoughts on Quad Graphics Cards? Would anyone ever buy them, do you have them? Just getting a feel for the market from you guys.
  2. I remain to be convinced that triple/quad graphics cards are anything more than an expensive space heater. AFAIK the increase in performance is not linear (ie 4 cards is less than 4 times the performance) and the effect on the rest of the rig must be dramatic in terms of space / power / cooling. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get the same effect using one or two more expensive cards instead.

Of course there's always someone who wants to put four of the most expensive cards out there in some monster rig for bragging rights but I suspect they're not a large part of the market, if indeed they're not just making their own.

Personally I use two, the current one plus the last one to drive a second monitor/PhysX - so not even SLI.
  3. Personally I don't see a major benefit from it, especially when you look at cost against performance. There are still a relatively small number of games / programs that support dual card SLI let alone tri or quad. The cost is very high to produce these type of systems and the performance increase isn't relative as has been said.

I have thought about doing this with my current system but was never sure what the benefits really were, if any. I am currently running a 460GTX on an i5 CPU with 4Gb RAM. I have space for another GPU and have an 8800GT which I could use, what do you think? What is the heat output like for a PhysX card compared to running it as the main GPU? I ask as I did have some heat problems with the 8800GT when it hit 75+ degrees so I put an after market cooler on it. With that cooler on it won't fit in the case well so would have to go back to stock cooling!

Any thoughts.

4. You could fit the stock cooler then use nvidia tools to underclock the card therefore bring the heat down. PhysX as far as i can remember doesn't really spank the card so much so it should work ok.

As for the SLI/XFire i am currently running 2 ATi 5850 in crossfire as i came into a bit of cash and decided to see whats what. The answer being unless your using resolutions of ridiculous proportions on a monitor last seen showing the latest blockbuster at the cinema a mid range card will suffice. If your someone who really needs everything turned up to the max on a 26 inch monitor go for one of the high end uber cards. Most folks will have no need whatsoever for SLi/Xfire ever. Just look at the Steam survey's.

Steam Hardware & Software Survey
  5. I wouldnt bother, maybe grab another 460GTX as they are not too pricey. Are you running a 64bit OS?
  6. Yes, running Win 7 64 bit.

Had been reading up about using a dedicated PhysX card and the pretty much unanimous answer is its a waste of time unless you are using an ATI card and want better performance from a PhysX coded / optimised game (of which there aren't that many, not 'good' games anyway).
  7. I only use one as I already own it and it fills up a spare slot on the mobo. My PC is not so much the result of planning as brownian motion.
  8. My original PC was exactly the same, bastardised and updated / changed over a period of 5 years or so.
  9. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Only people I know running Quad SLI are doing research on real-time ray tracing. They actually use five cards; four doing all the processing (including OS and applications, along with GFX) and the other providing the monitor output. It's an epic rig, but completely pointless as a gaming machine.