QM's Dept lost nearly all my shit! everything!

My unit recently moved back from ze fatherland (Germany) as part of the whole 2020 bollox.

Everyones kit in MFO, spent an entire week of nights down the garages ensuring that everything was in the right place, with the right paperwork and all the usual shite.

4 MONTHS LATER.....out of 10 boxes sent, i have two.......conveniently the most useless two......

The issue has been raised with the correct people in the correct departments, the answer? "this is what kit insurance is for".......

So, anyone know what i can do? who i can complain to? will a civvy solicitor be able to get involved?

I want to kick off because there was the best part of £6k worth of stuff in those boxes, and as we were pretty much forced to put them in to MFO, we had no choice but to leave them in the amazing care of the army.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
was it insured?

nope, cancelled it just after Afghan, never needed it unless i've been on tour. don't be that guy that makes it out to be my fault.......

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Write to Soldier Magazine - they will advise the best way forward!

not really. This is the problem with the army (well one of many), why should i insure my kit when it was forcibly entrusted to the QM's? If it was a removals company and they lost half a lorry load would i be told "should have had contents insurance"?? like ****.

was it insured?
You did have kit insurance, didn't you?

There been a few cases (where people have threatened legal action) where the MOD has coughed up as it was their fault. There was a fire in the Sgt Mess in Gutersloh a few years ago and it turned out the smoke detectors were turned off. The offer of "claim on your insurance" was politely declined and the MOD eventually covered the damages to the blokes kit.
I do take the view that kit insurance isnt paid so the MOD can lose/trash your possessions. Try breaking something of theirs and telling them to claim on their insurance.

The only other thing you can do is put in a service complaint.

Read all the copies of the paperwork you completed, there may be some recourse you can follow.

not really. This is the problem with the army (well one of many), why should i insure my kit when it was forcibly entrusted to the QM's? If it was a removals company and they lost half a lorry load would i be told "should have had contents insurance"?? like ****.
There's your problem, right there.

spaz

LE
nope, cancelled it just after Afghan, never needed it...

2lc0g0k.jpg

Kit insurance is definitely a good idea, but "this is what kit insurance is for" is hardly a sufficient answer from officialdom.

I don't know if kit insurance for this move would have been subsidised in the same way I recall on recovery from tour?

My unit recently moved back from ze fatherland (Germany) as part of the whole 2020 bollox.

Everyones kit in MFO, spent an entire week of nights down the garages ensuring that everything was in the right place, with the right paperwork and all the usual shite.

4 MONTHS LATER.....out of 10 boxes sent, i have two.......conveniently the most useless two......

The issue has been raised with the correct people in the correct departments, the answer? "this is what kit insurance is for".......

So, anyone know what i can do? who i can complain to? will a civvy solicitor be able to get involved?

I want to kick off because there was the best part of £6k worth of stuff in those boxes, and as we were pretty much forced to put them in to MFO, we had no choice but to leave them in the amazing care of the army.

Ah! The Atlantic Conveyor of singly MFO.

Seriously though the answer's easy to this one. Nip up to the RAOs, get a folder, an acroclip and some A4 plastic sleeves.

Sign for the Dymo labeller, type out a strip with LESSONS LEARNED FILE on it and stick it on the front of the folder.

Ignore the folder, go to your local Forces Financial office and get some kit insurance.

Oh yes, on your journey round camp nip into the QMs and sign for your diffys then get them re-issued.

THE END

I feel your pain, but you have it the nail on the head. Sadly, the COC won't give a shit and just see you as a pain (nobody really give a shit).

Therefore, I suggest call the RMP and **** em over..... Then you can get posted....!

Yes, you have to take out insurance when you do it.

Kit insurance is definitely a good idea, but "this is what kit insurance is for" is hardly a sufficient answer from officialdom.

I don't know if kit insurance for this move would have been subsidised in the same way I recall on recovery from tour?[/QUOTE]

Does it matter afterwards?

Ah! The Atlantic Conveyor of singly MFO.

Seriously though the answer's easy to this one. Nip up to the RAOs, get a folder, an acroclip and some A4 plastic sleeves.

Sign for the Dymo labeller, type out a strip with LESSONS LEARNED FILE on it and stick it on the front of the folder.

Ignore the folder, go to your local Forces Financial office and get some kit insurance.

Oh yes, on your journey round camp nip into the QMs and sign for your diffys then get them re-issued.

THE END

I now feel complete, thanks so much for your helpful input in this!! infact hang on, give me your name and i'll be sure to vote for you at the next election for "The Good Idea's club".

People like you are the problem in situations like this.

I don't know if kit insurance for this move would have been subsidised in the same way I recall on recovery from tour?

You can claim around 45 notes if you have kit insurance and are single (pads get disturbance allowance) and have to move. However if someone else has lost it, they (or their department) should be held liable. The same as a soldier is held liable when he loses military kit.

Latest Threads