Qdg infantry regiment?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Ethhjoness, Jun 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As part of the Army 2020 plans, most units based in Germany will return to the UK and the QDG is scheduled to move to Swanton Morley, Norfolf by 2015.[SUP][/SUP] They will re-role as "light cavalry", using Jackal Vehicles

Wiki bro its your friend

Hope thats what you were talking about if not i apologise :p

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Smells a bit like 1930's all armoured cars or rather not very armoured cars!

• Like Like x 1
  3. What were those Crossleys like, Uncle?

• Like Like x 2
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was too busy carrying flags to represent a machine gun to notice ***** not in tanks!

• Like Like x 2
  5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I visited the LD at Swanton Morley a handful of years ago for an Old Comrades weekend.

You'll be glad to know that, since Swanton Morley was going to be closed, there was no effort made by whoever it is these days that looks after single accommodation (PSA? ) to keep it in order.

You may be lucky and now that Swanton Morley will stay on the orbat, the blocks will have been maintained.

It does strike me as a bit of Schadenfreude since LD were about to move to Paderborn shortly thereafter, only to have the QDGs moved there because Osnabruck was closing.

6. You might have your wires crossed a bit there. QDG is in Sennelager, moving to Swanton Morely. LD is currently in Swanton Morely, moving to Catterick.

The Light Cavalry (Lt Cav) role is not the same as the Infantry role. However, both will be trained to the same standards of Dismounted Close Combat (DCC). The role is discussed at some length elsewhere on Arrse, but is very much still in development, so don't expect very many people to have a good handle on exactly what it is until about this time next year.

7. AlienFTM

Not at all. LD were pencilled in to move to Sennelager about four - six years ago and Robertson Bks would close, but when Osnabruck closed, somebody probably decided that it was cheaper (key) and easier to move QDG from Traz to Paders than to move them to the UK and LD to Paders ( = Sennelager - same difference).

Now, as you say, QDG will move to Swanton Morley when LD move to Catterick, but now, QDG will get the clapped out old blocks that LD had, to make up for QDG stealing LD's posting. Crossed wires? Not at all. So now instead od an Old Comrades weekend back in the greatest posting ever in BAOR, I get next time to visit Catterick. Nice. Good for a lot of the old and bold though.

8. In the QDG journal, there is already mention of concerns regarding future training of Lt. Cav. recruits i.e. what is the utility of training a soldier on CVR when he will not be going to a CVR Regt.

One assumes that RAC Training Staff are on the case........

9. AlienFTM

I got this year's LD Journal a week or two back. The line from the regiment is that being first into the role, LD will define what exactly the role will be and how to train for it.

10. Seen. Misunderstood your other post.

11. I believe that all phase 2 training for what will become the three Lt Cav Regts is currently CVR(T), Formation/Brigade Recce based. I.e. soldiers and newly commissioned officers from those three regiments (including the formally armoured SCOTS DG) go off and learn to be FR/BRR soldiers/Tp Ldrs, which clearly involves learning to operate CVR(T). At the moment, Lt Cav specific Ph2 courses are being developed, that will teach JACKAL instead of CVR(T). Until those courses are in place, the platform will remain CVR(T), in the absence of any better one, recognising that they need to be trained to conduct mounted manoeuvre on something. I don't know the timeline for the Lt Cav courses.

12. Will this be the same for the Royal Dragoon Guards (RDG) in the new army structure?

13. No. RDG is to become an Armoured Cavalry (Armd Cav) regiment, which is (currently) a bit like Formation Recce/Brigade Recce; they will hang onto CVR(T) for the moment and continue to do the dismounted bits and pieces that FR Regts/BRRs current do. However the mounted element of this capability will get a significant enhancement with the introduction of FRES SV Scout, which will be a major improvement on CVR(T). Armd Cav regiments will not do the BRF type activity in the future, as this will to fall to the Lt Cav Regts. Armd Cav Regts also don't have a slice of their (official/complete) ORBATs made up from the TA.

14. Hello joining the army after college not sure what regiment I should join the QGD or the 1st battalion Royal welsh would like some info on both regiments if you have any.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014