QARANC Joining Instructions - 1987

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by Grey_Mafia65, Oct 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. or "How The Other Half Lived"

Reading some of the joining up threads, I remembered what my basic was like and tried hard to suppress a giggle. I then dug out the booklet I was sent prior to starting basic with my joining instructions and thought I'd post it all for you to see how the "fairer" Corps did Basic.

(Apologies for those of you who may need to get the magnifier out to read this)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think I was in the same Army as you lot... :-D

2. Page 5 Weekend Leave - You will have most weekends free!!!!
    ******* weekend duty dodging bastard :pissedoff:

3. Weekday walts the lot of them

4. If I remember rightly, they also had the other units doing guard duty for them, I certainly remember stagging on at the Royal Pavilion when the Yanks decided to bomb the shit out of Libya in 86 ^^

5. The closest thing we had to guard duty was sitting in the reception room guarding the signing in/out book!

6. Dangerous enemy them signing in books!

7. Not kidding! I got a nasty papercut once!

8. What instructions did you get about being whored out for the blokes? Or did that follow basic?

9. On basic training "You will have your own room".

Jesus :shock:

10. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

That was lucky for you, having a QA to hand (if you'll pardon the pun).

11. We were bussed out to AAC Arborfield (Yes there really was a busload of nurses out there somewhere). At my first posting (QEMH), there was a red flashing light on top of the Officers Mess, said it all really.

12. me and two other OTTs (as we were then) hung a massive teddy bear that we'd robbed from top floor Q2 (while we were on a fridge raid after a NAAFI bop) off that light one friday night in 1988. Officers mess security was shite, simplex lock door was wedged open so we strolled in, lift to the top and then a couple of steps up into the bit where the water tanks were, bit of a drama getting onto and off of the roof though, we also slightly bent that light pole as well. We all lashed into the water tanks, only to discover later that they supplied the Q blocks rather than the officers mess!

13. Went there in 1990, I can clearly remember some tosspot QA instructor telling us that a Btn 2IC was a Captain ( I had previously been TA CMT and even I knew she was talking shite) and receiving a demonstration of how to peel a banana with a knife a fork (the senior QAs as ever were obsessed with mess etiquette). Five months after passing out I found myself attached to 3LI in Fort Whiterock, I remain indebited to the QATC for preparing me so well for operational duties. Still I managed to get laid a few times whilst there, as one of only two blokes on my course it was a target rich environment ;)

14. Who is Pte Ryder???

15. She was one of the clerks there, point of contact prior to starting the course. On retrospect maybe I should have blacked that out but as it was 23 years ago and she's no doubt changed names since then, I think her persec's safe. :)