QARANC Career

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by brdnose, Apr 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After 2 and bit years working in A&E I'm totally unimpressed by the quality of most nurses working in the NHS and the lack of coherant career structure. Not a ambitious lot are we? Sit on your hands on the same ward for 5 years and get promoted cos everyone else left and or got knocked up. Am I going to find what I'm looking for in the British Army - I'm interested in trauma & critical / pre-hospital care, is this covered by nurses or by CMT's. What's the role of RNO, and specifically in this area. How does your career develop over the rank structure. I'm doing the same job as when I started this 8 years ago and (no offence) I'm sure I can do more than be the Doc's bitch. :sleepy:

2. Trouble with your plan is that if you join the QAs you will end up at some point working in the NHS as you wont spend your whole military career doing a RNO job.

3. I realize this but I'm looking at wider possibilities and opportunities than that of the narrow world of the nhs ED nurse - surely it's not just camo bedpans...what role does the RNO perform, what kind of training do they undergo to perform this and what roles do non RNO nurses play in the field. The army seems pretty bad at advertising the whole healthcare side of things, which is surprising since they have such a shortage of them. If's it's just more of the same in a nice uniform I think I'll pass.

4. Is there a shortage of nurses within the Army? I just heard from a very reliable source that the QARANC is more or less up to manning levels, mainly due to the number of student nurses that the army trained over the last few years. The problem is keeping them in for a length of time.
    What you need to remember is that there are a lot of nurses already in the Army who want to be RNOs, so you will be up against them for the places on courses. There are several hoops to jump through in order to get on these and other courses while you are in the army.

As for the role and the training there may be a RNO trained QA on here who may post the answers.

5. I looked at the NAO figures which someone quoted in another thread which showed A&E nurses churning through the system at a pretty quick rate, I assume due the quick rotation onto tours? My own dissatisfaction with the career is from the lack of structure leads to extremely variable quality of the 'leadership'. There seems to be no coherent process to who gets a senior clinical /management job. If it were based on merit then why don't all CNS's posts have a Higher Qualification and national guidelines for a variety of clinical experience? Some of this sounds encouraging, at least there is competition for advancement which inevitably raises the quality, it's not just sit on your arrse, do one ENB course in 10 years and land the sisters post (And do it badly).

Regards

BN