QA Commissions?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Nurseyboy1, Feb 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I dont mean to sound bitter or twisted, but could someone please explain to me why a Registered Nurse of two years is considered for commissioned entry to go on and lead more experienced soldiers/nurses on operations and back at home. this seems to lead to a lot of confusion with regards to actual clinical experience. How can a corporal of four years post registration be led by someone of two years experience. (in district nursing maybe) Has the world gone spare mental. Its bloody dangerous. Manage my admin, dont question my clinical judgement!
  2. The fact that the military have never squared this circle is indicative of their lack of will to do so.

When I retrained in psychiatry, APC in it's infinite (lack of) wisdom sent me directly out to Germany to be the WARD MANAGER, FFS, of the in-patient MHHU. As a newly-qualified RMN under preceptorship!!! Why? Because in pure military terms, I was senior to the officer who had been previously running the unit (despite the fact that he was about 8 or 9 years qualified as an RMN).

Now, I reckon 80% or so of nursing management is generic, so I think I did alright falling back on my RGN experience (nobody died, at least) and I had a bloody good team to support me, but I still think it's a cracking example of the utter lunacy of the military and it's systemic inability to reconcile a military hierarchy with a clinical hierarchy.

Edited once for bog-eyed Saturday-morning spelling
  3. first rule of instructing - NEVER start by apologising

Confusion, how ? you would have been told the options when you joined

Two years MINIMUM experience (district nursing wouldnt qualify as really as appropriate) to qualify you to apply - doesnt say that you will commission. thats the starting point.

How is it dangerous to be a manager - they must have passed the tests and been accepted

do we have a chip on our shoulder Nursey ?
  4. Infantry 2Lt with one year's training at RMAS and PCBC

Infantry Sgt with 9 - 12 years experience incl SCBC & PSBC

Who commands the platoon?

It's the same on ward - it's a team sport we support, develop and mentor each other. The ability to lead and command is not necessarily related to experience (although that can be helpful) it's about having the ability to get individuals to do want they don't necessarily want to do. Some can do it intuitively, others will need help and guidance from those with experience on how to do so. Junior officers are just that...juniors; most will need guidance and direction from more senior officers and experienced NCOs.
  5. Aliright! We've had the text book answers with all the fancy terminology. To be honest it's refreshing to hear people with minerals actually give an answer.Thank you very much for that. Having a SNCO on the ward would be lovely. Having a nursing officer who would be willing to listen to that NCO would be great. The distinct lack of middle money in the corps is probably the biggest problem. My former trade within the army constantly utilised the chain of command. I feel as if the chain above has quite a few links missing. could the problem be retention? or is it that those who are retained commission too early. Do I have a chip on my shoulder? YES!!! Frustration will do that to you. Maybe its time to hang up the magnums!
  6. Hit Nail Head

Too few RN SNCOs & WOs IMHO. What's the answer? I'll offer 2 possibilities:

Longer post registration period before being eligible to apply for a commission?

Disaggregate pay from rank? i.e. an incremental pay spine based on time post registration and clinical performance/merit.
  7. Chain of command

positively a dirty word within certain sectors, never utilised due to G1 welfare problems, and a need for a box of hankies to cry into.
  8. I have an enormous chip on my shoulder!!! Fed up of numptees!! But without them there would be no O group, and without O group no indecision and that would lead to things getting done properly once and for all. Now we cant have that, can we?
  9. as an old hand, you should know that 'one posting isnt the army'

you may be having a sh1t time of it - but the next place shouldnt be as bad

tell me - are you in a very southern coastal MDHU ?

you MUST give respect to a persons rank, but the person MUST earn their individual respect by leading from the front!
  10. TBH I dont consider myself an old hand and Ive still got an enormous/infinite amount to learn. The little experience I did have before becoming a QA taught me to look above for leadership, learn from those with experience and above all, be adult about things. Ive come across situations since I became a QA that would have entitled me to throw my teddy out of the pram and I didnt. I realise that this is part of army life, but I find myself biting my tongue on an almost daily basis. How you have managed to get to where you are without completely flipping out amazes me. No matter how much I convince myself that there are better things to come, I only have to look above me to see what that is.

Nice bit of detective work there, but I wont be telling you who I am, or giving you any clues. Its not that Im scared to be noticed for what Im saying, just dont see the benifit of it in here. Got the chain of command for that, haven't I?
  11. Just looking over the posts here I detect a notion that a JNCO/SNCO nurse is a damned fine thing and that newly commissioned officers should bow to their knowledge and experience.

Can I just say that I've met some really good newly commissioned officers and I've met some really sh1t JNCO/SNCO/WO nurses. I've also met some really, really rubbish officers and some really great JNCO/SNCO/WOs, the point being that you pays your money, you takes your choice. If you can apply for a commission do it, the system is flawed and allows pond life through, but equally, it gets it right too. As BP20 says - respect the rank and make a judgement about the person behind it.

I don't know what the rest of you think, but incompetence never gets properly weeded out because the system of posting means that you can be moved just at the point that your incompetence is being discovered. But never mind! You've got the tick in the box, so off to a new unit where it will take some time to find you out! If you are really luckly, you can get yourself off to professional training course and hide there for a while. Or even better, a command/staff position where you can hide your incompetence behind a wall of competence! No wonder so much sh1t rises to the top.