Q to the Kilt wearing community - Silver bayonnet kilts pins

Discussion in 'Officers' started by BuggerAll, Apr 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I hope Arrsers will forgive me doing a bit of market research.

A friend, who sells bagpipes and highland wear has asked me what I think of silver bayonet shaped kilt pins - SLR and Rifle 5.56 etc.

He is thinking 6 inches but I think 3 or 4 at most.

I'd be interested to see the views of other kilt wearers.

Any other comments welcome - should it be in the scabbard?

These things have quite a high start up cost so obviously he does not want to produce something that nobody wants.
  2. my immediate thought is:

3. I sometimes wear a kilt and I would not be interested. Sorry to be negative but thats the reality. I would guess the total potential market would be fairly small and given the likely cost per unit once start up is included in a small production run, the potential market would shrink dramatically.
  4. It might appeal to the McWalt of that Ilk or to Americans, but otherwise a very limited market that certainly doesn't include this son of Caledonia.

5. No. Thank you for asking.
  6. As a professional skirt wearer I am struggling to think of the last time that I wore a kilt pin. It might work for those who like to dress up in the bonnie prince charlie rig - but I am not convinced that there is a big market.
  7. If it was shiny and on a Q's shelf, I'd nick it given the chance, but I wouldn't fcuking buy one!
  8. A 6 inch kilt pin would be enormous and, in silver, far too heavy - especially as a bayonet would be much wider than the common claymore or thistle motifs - a couple of inches (or 6cm) would be more normal although still possibly too heavy.

On the aesthetic front, although I normally wear a kilt pin, I wouldn't be that interested in a bayonet one.
  9. In truth, I think the Yank side of the family would be interested. They seem to love that kind of thing. But then... yeah, they're American.
    I'm not sure the actual porridge wog side would go for it.
  10. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

As a regular wearer, I read the idea and grimaced, I'm afraid.

Don't think this is a goer.
  11. Speaking as a porridge wog, I think you'll find that the market for kilt pins is limited.
    Most people who wear a kilt have one that lives on the kilt and never gets changed (why bother).
    New kilt pins will sell to the same sort of market as something like cufflinks. Far more are bought for presents by her indoors than by the wearer, and far more are bought than are ever worn.
    The challenge will be making a bayonet that looks attractive to the ladies.
  12. I wear a clan one on my good kilt and on my drinking/rugby/mucking about one I wear the freebie from Hector Russell. I probably wouldn't be interested in a bayonet but if it was a School of Infantry/CATC type SLR one I could be tempted...
  13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

That's what he was thinking of.

I confess to being in half a mind about it also. I think if I saw one I would think it was pretty smart but perhaps not for me. I wear a fairly simple silver blanket pin. I wonder if a bayonet might not be a bit busy.

There is certainly a market for kilt pins - just 'google' kilt pins to see all the people selling them. Some are quite good but most are crap.

I'm going to have a little go at the McWalting comment. If you are/were in the British Army why would it be walting to wear a bayonet kilt pin? Any more than it might be walting to wear a Regimental tie.

Isn't walting pretending to be something you are not. What you are doing is reverse walting which is just as much a crime in my view.

It may be a bit too MacBling, that being a matter of taste.
  14. I think the point about McWalt is that you would likely sell more to Walts or Yanks than to anyone genuinely in the Army or genuinely Scottish.