• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Q to the Kilt wearing community - Silver bayonnet kilts pins

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#1
I hope Arrsers will forgive me doing a bit of market research.

A friend, who sells bagpipes and highland wear has asked me what I think of silver bayonet shaped kilt pins - SLR and Rifle 5.56 etc.

He is thinking 6 inches but I think 3 or 4 at most.

I'd be interested to see the views of other kilt wearers.

Any other comments welcome - should it be in the scabbard?

These things have quite a high start up cost so obviously he does not want to produce something that nobody wants.
 
#3
I sometimes wear a kilt and I would not be interested. Sorry to be negative but thats the reality. I would guess the total potential market would be fairly small and given the likely cost per unit once start up is included in a small production run, the potential market would shrink dramatically.
 
#4
It might appeal to the McWalt of that Ilk or to Americans, but otherwise a very limited market that certainly doesn't include this son of Caledonia.

ObC
 
#6
As a professional skirt wearer I am struggling to think of the last time that I wore a kilt pin. It might work for those who like to dress up in the bonnie prince charlie rig - but I am not convinced that there is a big market.
 
#8
A 6 inch kilt pin would be enormous and, in silver, far too heavy - especially as a bayonet would be much wider than the common claymore or thistle motifs - a couple of inches (or 6cm) would be more normal although still possibly too heavy.

On the aesthetic front, although I normally wear a kilt pin, I wouldn't be that interested in a bayonet one.
 
#9
In truth, I think the Yank side of the family would be interested. They seem to love that kind of thing. But then... yeah, they're American.
I'm not sure the actual porridge wog side would go for it.
 
#10
As a regular wearer, I read the idea and grimaced, I'm afraid.

Don't think this is a goer.
 
#11
Speaking as a porridge wog, I think you'll find that the market for kilt pins is limited.
Most people who wear a kilt have one that lives on the kilt and never gets changed (why bother).
New kilt pins will sell to the same sort of market as something like cufflinks. Far more are bought for presents by her indoors than by the wearer, and far more are bought than are ever worn.
The challenge will be making a bayonet that looks attractive to the ladies.
Cheers
Scratch
 
#12
#13
I wear a clan one on my good kilt and on my drinking/rugby/mucking about one I wear the freebie from Hector Russell. I probably wouldn't be interested in a bayonet but if it was a School of Infantry/CATC type SLR one I could be tempted...
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#14
Cuddles said:
I wear a clan one on my good kilt and on my drinking/rugby/mucking about one I wear the freebie from Hector Russell. I probably wouldn't be interested in a bayonet but if it was a School of Infantry/CATC type SLR one I could be tempted...
That's what he was thinking of.

I confess to being in half a mind about it also. I think if I saw one I would think it was pretty smart but perhaps not for me. I wear a fairly simple silver blanket pin. I wonder if a bayonet might not be a bit busy.

There is certainly a market for kilt pins - just 'google' kilt pins to see all the people selling them. Some are quite good but most are crap.

I'm going to have a little go at the McWalting comment. If you are/were in the British Army why would it be walting to wear a bayonet kilt pin? Any more than it might be walting to wear a Regimental tie.

Isn't walting pretending to be something you are not. What you are doing is reverse walting which is just as much a crime in my view.

It may be a bit too MacBling, that being a matter of taste.
 
#16
BuggerAll said:
Cuddles said:
I wear a clan one on my good kilt and on my drinking/rugby/mucking about one I wear the freebie from Hector Russell. I probably wouldn't be interested in a bayonet but if it was a School of Infantry/CATC type SLR one I could be tempted...
That's what he was thinking of.

I confess to being in half a mind about it also. I think if I saw one I would think it was pretty smart but perhaps not for me. I wear a fairly simple silver blanket pin. I wonder if a bayonet might not be a bit busy.

There is certainly a market for kilt pins - just 'google' kilt pins to see all the people selling them. Some are quite good but most are crap.

I'm going to have a little go at the McWalting comment. If you are/were in the British Army why would it be walting to wear a bayonet kilt pin? Any more than it might be walting to wear a Regimental tie.

Isn't walting pretending to be something you are not. What you are doing is reverse walting which is just as much a crime in my view.

It may be a bit too MacBling, that being a matter of taste.
BuggerAll,

I don't think you are being called a walt or are most people suggesting that it is waltish to want a bayonet pin. My comment was that the jocks don't wear kilt pins on Regimental kilts so if you are in the Army, and in a jock regiment, then you would have no need of a kilt pin. For the others who wear skirts socially then there are probably a few who would be after one - but I do think that the market is quite small.
 
#17
BuggerAll said:
I'm going to have a little go at the McWalting comment. If you are/were in the British Army why would it be walting to wear a bayonet kilt pin? Any more than it might be walting to wear a Regimental tie.

Isn't walting pretending to be something you are not. What you are doing is reverse walting which is just as much a crime in my view.

It may be a bit too MacBling, that being a matter of taste.
BA,

You asked for opinions as to the potential market - I gave an opinion on that. I've looked at my post again and cannot see how it can be construed as being a dig at you.

OaC
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#18
Over sensitivity on my part. I didn't think you were having a dig a me - I thought you were suggesting that it would be waltish for a serving or ex to wear it. Whereas you were saying that it would appeal to the McWalts rather than to the serving or ex.

I've asked the same question on a US website. There is some interest from vets who tend to want the M16 bayonet or the M4 etc. But has it ever brought out Walter Z MacMitty and his friends. The most popular suggestion is the Sykes Fairburn FFS.

The Scottish American Military Society has a pewter kilt pin shaped like a 17th century plug bayonet (the kind that fitted into the muzzle of a musket, obsoleted by the ring bayonet in the 18th century) in pewter.

Our American cousins are less conservative than us when it comes to indulging thier tastes. The only problem with making money off them is that they don't have any and due to the woeful state of the dollar they can't afford anything we have to sell. One lives and learns.
 
#19
BuggerAll said:
Over sensitivity on my part. I didn't think you were having a dig a me - I thought you were suggesting that it would be waltish for a serving or ex to wear it. Whereas you were saying that it would appeal to the McWalts rather than to the serving or ex.

I've asked the same question on a US website. There is some interest from vets who tend to want the M16 bayonet or the M4 etc. But has it ever brought out Walter Z MacMitty and his friends. The most popular suggestion is the Sykes Fairburn FFS.

The Scottish American Military Society has a pewter kilt pin shaped like a 17th century plug bayonet (the kind that fitted into the muzzle of a musket, obsoleted by the ring bayonet in the 18th century) in pewter.

Our American cousins are less conservative than us when it comes to indulging thier tastes. The only problem with making money off them is that they don't have any and due to the woeful state of the dollar they can't afford anything we have to sell. One lives and learns.
BA,

No probs.

OaC
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A The Intelligence Cell 221
thegimp Classified Ads 17
Chubby_Brown Seniors 22

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top