Q for highbrow arts and media aficionados: wots the best quality Python recording?

As we appear to be entering a new Cultural Revolution, where traditional forms of British humour are rapidly being extinguished or even criminalised, I have decided to become a refusnik by preserving a few forbidden gems for my family's future generations.

Thus I wish to purchase - not a shrubbery - but DVD copies of Monty Python & the Holy Grail, and Life of Brian.

Now there are a plethora of Python DVDs and Blurays out there but, of the ones I've actually viewed, the image/sound quality is really terrible. This is not the age of the material itself, its the fact that most of the DVDs seem to have been recorded by pointing an old VHS camera at a telly. The Bluray copy of Life of Brian I bought from Amazon is slightly out of focus, grainy, and is so muffled that the witticisms are inaudible (good job I know most of them all by heart) - its evidently a copy of a DVD, in turn a copy of a VHS, in turn pirated on a hand-held camera at the local cinema.

Does any serious film collector know for sure which "special edition"/ box set/ remastered edition/ DVD/ Bluray/ African Swallow/ etc is the real deal? I understand that Python have never produced modern remastered versions of the films, but there must be some decent digital recordings by now?

Life of Brian: Look for the 2007 DVD re-release called the "Immaculate Edition". Has LOB and other bits on it.

There is a digitally remastered version on eBay for £4.20 ONO.

MPATHG: look for the “Extraordinarily Deluxe Edition”. Various formats and loads of extras.

Life of Brian: Look for the 2007 DVD re-release called the "Immaculate Edition". Has LOB and other bits on it.

Dunno, that one gets slated on Amazon for being atrocious quality. Mind you, half of the stuff on Amazon seems to be fake/pirate these days anyway; perhaps its luck of the draw if you get a decent copy or not.

Watch them with foreign subtitles.
What a hoot.

I'm actually buying them because my Russian wife, mother-in-law and auntie laugh themselves stupid over Monty Python and Fawlty Towers - my wife has fluent colloquial English, but the other two pick up most of the gags despite not speaking much English. Good comedy transcends language barriers!

I did once have to go through Life of Brian on VHS - stopping every minute or so to laboriously translate and explain the British military/ school/ social context behind the humour. It took about five hours to get through the film. The audience were a group of female students, and they were drinking my Russian champagne (fortunately about 50p per bottle). It was hell I tell you, hell...

Good thread, and DVDs can be an investment, even the Python media. Several re-releases and originals sell for £40-£50, Cliff Richard's Heathcliff :roll: or Clockwork Mice, and ZCARS full episodes sets.

We've a “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” Collector's Edition on DVD somewhere, a few added gimmicks on a good transfer that cost about £1. Also there's Monty Python's Life of Brian Collectors Edition." The box includes a full movie screenplay paperback, 4 colour postcards, and a unique 35mm movie still (from the original film print)" (Amazon) for £6. Or you can get the movies on 4 disks "all good quality" (Amazon).

Future generations will sadly look on your Blue-ray as if you'd given them a Beta-Max video. You would genuinely be better off giving them the script written on Velum. Looked after it will last several hundred years and still be readable.

Last edited:
I thought that once, until spending an evening in a Calgary cinema watching "Meaning of Life."
Very much a Curate's Egg, that one.

But as far as "Good comedy transcends language barriers" goes, I recall a wet and windy Sunday, with the excellent shag of the time - let us call her Brunhilde - from East Germany, absolutely hosing herself over Pink Panther movies.
"No, but zis is a very stupid movie..."
"Yeah, right - so why are you laughing?"

Very much a Curate's Egg, that one.

But as far as "Good comedy transcends language barriers" goes, I recall a wet and windy Sunday, with the excellent shag of the time - let us call her Brunhilde - from East Germany, absolutely hosing herself over Pink Panther movies.
"No, but zis is a very stupid movie..."
"Yeah, right - so why are you laughing?"
"Culture" is a moveable feast...

As we appear to be entering a new Cultural Revolution, where traditional forms of British humour are rapidly being extinguished or even criminalised, I have decided to become a refusnik by preserving a few forbidden gems for my family's future generations.

Thus I wish to purchase - not a shrubbery - but DVD copies of Monty Python & the Holy Grail, and Life of Brian.

Now there are a plethora of Python DVDs and Blurays out there but, of the ones I've actually viewed, the image/sound quality is really terrible. This is not the age of the material itself, its the fact that most of the DVDs seem to have been recorded by pointing an old VHS camera at a telly. The Bluray copy of Life of Brian I bought from Amazon is slightly out of focus, grainy, and is so muffled that the witticisms are inaudible (good job I know most of them all by heart) - its evidently a copy of a DVD, in turn a copy of a VHS, in turn pirated on a hand-held camera at the local cinema.

Does any serious film collector know for sure which "special edition"/ box set/ remastered edition/ DVD/ Bluray/ African Swallow/ etc is the real deal? I understand that Python have never produced modern remastered versions of the films, but there must be some decent digital recordings by now?
I’ve told you once...

Latest Threads