PWRR rider gets dismounted?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by A2_Matelot, Jun 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

I know its the Mail, hence why I ask, but out of plain old curiosity is this chap really PWRR (being a Matelot I have no clue what your No2 uniforms look like): Why the long face? Horse bolts during Diamond Jubilee procession leaving its unfortunate rider looking furious | Mail Online. Do all the Infantry Regiments have the option to ride on parade?

The other thing which caught my eye, apart from the smirk the copper has one his face, is the last gong on the guys rack. Far right I was expecting to see the QDJM, but that one I can't place, anyone else know what it is?

2. I'd rather walk.
  3. See the pips on his shoulders? =Officer.
    They can't be expected to walk can they? The next time he tries to sign out a nag, he may be given the bums rush. :)
  4. acsm 2011
  5. The article does state that he is a member of the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment.

Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the photo shows him to be holding the rank of Captain.

I too am more interested that a infantry (mere) Captain is (was!) sat on a horse :blank:

May the reason have something to do with the earpiece he is wearing? 8O

And, see the “expression” on the face (position of its ears), the deportment, of his horse . . .

It just knows it is in trouble! The other two horses (plod), certainly look as though they are not going to stand for any nonsense =-D

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Are you sure? I thought the ACSM 2011 had green edging and purple/orange centre in the photo below.
  7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I assume that he is the Bn's Adjutant and was accompanying the Commanding Officer who was also on horseback.

Adjutants, although Captain in rank are Field Officers by appointment, therefore entitled to ride a horse. If you have watched the Queens Birthday Parades you will have seen similar with the CO and Adjt, both mounted.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. A2_Matelot

Ah, thanks, never seen any of these. Guess there is a good chance he's an LE then given his rank and the time it would take to accumulate the days for the ACSM. I'd noted the earpiece and wondered if that was a regular method of comms for mounted parades, given the noise of the crowds?
  9. I don't know the man but can only assume he is the Adjutant as they are given 'Field' status on appointment, ie wear spurs in Mess Kit and and have an undone sword knot. This chap has gone one further than we did in my day by having his peak braided, probably to 'keep up with the Hyphen-Jones'' whilst on Public Duties(?).
    • Like Like x 1
  10. A2_Matelot

Cheers AY, more interesting snippets. I love the Army, particularly the Regimental histories and small differences. Never realised the Adj was by appointment a Field Officer.
  11. Meh - I was once bucked off at a standstill. Chatting to a young lady so mind completely off riding (horse, that is) and the b'stad decided to try his luck and succeeded.
    Being all of 26 at the time, one hit the ground, forward rolled, stood up, grabbed the reins and continued the conversation. I think she was impressed :biggrin: Pure luck, I was only RAF and not at all an experienced rider.
    Very much regret that pressure of work ruled out a riding course I'd booked with the RHA. Hmm, wonder if they'd re-instate it for a 70yo? Don't think I could handle their bareback mount.
  12. A2..... RM Adjutants are entitiled to the Gee-gees as well. The Adj at CTCRM always used to "steer" a white charger on the parade ground when the fancy took him. It was very amusing for the Ranks on parade. One of the lesser and sadly no longer available SQ's for your loafing bootneck was "groom". Some of these legendary men were rumoured to be still kicking around the Corps in the 80's when the only horse was the one at Lympstone.
  13. Yes, I'm sure - maybe you need to put your glasses on!
  14. I doubt very much if he's an LE. You (only) have to serve 720 days on ops to get the 2011 version of the ACSM and as he has GSM NI, Iraq and OSM I assume he has a double tour in there somewhere (or a resident NI tour).
  15. They are on thanks :)

Well the image of the flat on his arse officer that I have on my screen clearly has light blue, dark blue, white. red, white, dark blue, light blue...which is not the ACSM.

• Like Like x 1