PWRR Recruitment letter to the telegraph

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Letterwritingman, Jul 20, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Letter in todays Telegraph:

Re: Operational effectiveness is key
    Date: 20 July 2004

Sir - Both the regular battalions of the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment are above their establishment strength, and are among the best-recruited in the Army (leading article, July 16). Indeed, we were recently able to send a platoon to reinforce a less well-recruited battalion on operations in Iraq.

In the 12 years since its formation by the amalgamation of the Queen's and Royal Hampshire regiments, the PWRR has established itself firmly in the counties of the South-East, from which we draw the great majority of our recruits.

There will probably be a good deal of special pleading when emotive regimental issues are discussed. But what really counts is operational effectiveness. I wonder what my full-strength, confident 1st Battalion, performing superbly in difficult circumstances north of Basra, or my equally full-strength 2nd Battalion, readily deployable without any reinforcement, make of your piece.

The regiment is unique among line infantry in having its own, well- recruited TA battalion, as well as two cap-badged companies in other TA units.

These Territorials, like so many others, have been mobilised on a substantial scale for service in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Brig Richard Holmes, Colonel, Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, Canterbury, Kent

Now who's gonna tell the Telegraph the unofficial nickname of the PWRR :twisted:

obviously due to its heavy reliance on Commonwealth soldiers. :wink:

2. whats this unofficial nick name then ?has it changed from the suqidgees ?

3. Don't know where the heavy reliance on Commonwealth soldiers comes from. The PWRR were successfully recruiting well before the Army started taking more soldiers from the Commonwealth.

Their cohesive and forward thinking approach (now copied by many other Regiments) was borne out of their ammalgamation between the Queen's and Royal Hampshires and the realisation that poor recruiting lay behind this decision and a determination to ensure that that it didn't happen again. Initiatives and support to recruiting are now second nature to all elements of the Regiment - at the last count they were about 150 over strength across 2 Battalions. The Army would never divert massive numbers of Commonwealth soldiers to such a strong Regiment. The PWRR should be congratulated on recruiting from such a difficult region as the South East of England.

Compare their approach to the Fusiliers who have such a muddled approach to recruiting policy (though they have recently begun to get their house in order) not helped by having several RHQs. Their recruiting area of Northumberland and Warwickshire should provide them with great dividends it is no wonder that the QLR Colonel in yesterday's Telegraph alluded to their failure.

Richard Holmes's response in today's Telegraph was provoked by innacuracies in Monday's edition. I think it is a well balanced letter and avoids carping (which must have been a huge temptation).

4. From a recruiting point of view the PWRR have a thing or two to teach the rest of the Inf about keeping their numbers up, as far as im aware they are over manned in both Battalions and constantly have to reinforce other Battalions on Op tours. As for their ethnic minority content their are a few Scottish Regiments that are 60% Fijian so who is the Ethnic minority their then!!!! :lol:

5. I spoke recently to some 2 Bn PWRR boys, based at Tern Hill, and they told me they have over 100 Fijians with them at the moment. This does seem a bit odd if they are indeed overstrength.

A good deal of the PWRR's recruiting success is due to the fact that virtually every CCF and ACF in the south-east is affiliated to them, and whilst the cadet forces are not supposed to be a recruiting agency, it clearly has an effect.

So for those with difficulty recruiting - treat the cadet units attached to you well and more may consider rebadging to you. Change the kids' interest in the Army into an interest in your regiment.

6. And is it just coincidence that PWRR is the only Regt (other than Para) that has an entire TA Bn?

7. Kel

Kel Old-Salt

I was in Kosovo with 1 Bn PWRR and it was full of commonwealth troops, at least a companies worth. Seemed to be more than a few that could hardly speak english.

8. I stand corrected on the common wealth theme i shall recheck my sources :( however you cant knock them on recruiting and it is about bums on seats after all. As far as i am aware now each Regiment has a quota for recruits once filled they will be allocated to another Regt.

9. I stand corrected on the common wealth theme i shall recheck my sources :( however you cant knock them on recruiting and it is about bums on seats after all. As far as i am aware now each Regiment has a quota for recruits once filled they will be allocated to another Regt.