PWRR nickname

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyknow how PWRR got their nickname "squeeges" (I think that is how it was spelt)
I seem to remember it was a nickname that the rat Hewit had for Princess Di, I maybe wrong

Londonpride said:
Does anyknow how PWRR got their nickname "squeeges" (I think that is how it was spelt)
I seem to remember it was a nickname that the rat Hewit had for Princess Di, I maybe wrong
Never heard of it. Can't find it, or any spelling of it, on google. "Tigers" is the commonly-used nickname.

The PWRR is an amalgamation of The Hampshires and The Queens. The Hampshires had the nickname "The Tigers", the rather less than flattering nickname of "Squidgies Own" relates to a pet name that Charles had for Diana, The Princess Of Wales.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
the_boy_syrup said:
It's the Tigers
I think they even have it on the side of some of their wagons

Check their website
http://www.army.mod.uk/pwrr/index.htm
Unfortunately, although "The Tigers" is their official nickname, they will still always be known by a select few as either The Squidgies or Squidgies Own.

sandmanfez said:
Unfortunately, although "The Tigers" is their official nickname, they will still always be known by a select few as either The Squidgies or Squidgies Own.
Not such a select few now that 205 people have read this thread! :D

sandmanfez said:
...the rather less than flattering nickname of "Squidgies Own" relates to a pet name that Charles had for Diana, The Princess Of Wales.
Nearly right. It was in fact the name 'The Rat' Hewitt used for her in some mobile phone calls that were intercepted (the bad old days of analogue mobiles...) and then published in the News of the Screws IIRC.

The recordings became known as the 'Squidgygate Tapes' and the name was then applied to the PWRR as she was the Regt's Col in Chief.

They say you cant choose your own nickname and this proves it .
Pwrr may have everything branded tigers ,but,If anyone uses a nickname its the squidges. :D

B

benjaminw1

woody said:
They say you cant choose your own nickname and this proves it .
Pwrr may have everything branded tigers ,but,If anyone uses a nickname its the squidges. :D
Indeed...

wansn't there also "Di's Guys"? (sounds rupertish to me, mind)

No that's the collective for the couple of hundred guys who diddled her.

Crazy_Legs said:
sandmanfez said:
...the rather less than flattering nickname of "Squidgies Own" relates to a pet name that Charles had for Diana, The Princess Of Wales.
Nearly right. It was in fact the name 'The Rat' Hewitt used for her in some mobile phone calls that were intercepted (the bad old days of analogue mobiles...) and then published in the News of the Screws IIRC.

The recordings became known as the 'Squidgygate Tapes' and the name was then applied to the PWRR as she was the Regt's Col in Chief.
The Squidygate recording became public only a day or so after she was announced as Col of The Hamsters. Some senior bods said 'off the record' that the her official association with the army would not have taken place had it (Squidy) been public beforehand.

Hamsters takeover of Queen's Regiment is a disgrace - typical sop to CivDiv

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
The PWRR in (or the Queens Regt. bit of it) were less affectionately know as the 'Queers Regiment' by hostile forces (Regt's.) before amalgamation an rebranding as the 'Squidgies'.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
whiffler said:
The Squidygate recording became public only a day or so after she was announced as Col of The Hamsters. Some senior bods said 'off the record' that the her official association with the army would not have taken place had it (Squidy) been public beforehand.

Hear Hear! The only thing the RHamps had going for them was Di, and she was useless. I know she may have appeared on several Parades for the 1st and 2nd Bns but she NEVER ONCE visited any of the TA Bns. Too far below her, I suppose.

And Squidgies Own the PWRR remain.

OldSnowy said:
whiffler said:

Hear Hear! The only thing the RHamps had going for them was Di, and she was useless. I know she may have appeared on several Parades for the 1st and 2nd Bns but she NEVER ONCE visited any of the TA Bns. Too far below her, I suppose.

And Squidgies Own the PWRR remain.
2nd Bn? TA Bns?

Ahem, that would be part of the mighty Wessex Shock Army I suppose.... ;-)

As for the "takeover", it's worth bearing in mind that Hampshire and the IoW match the recruitment in all the former Queen's Regt counties combined....

Status
Not open for further replies.