PVR as a SNCO info please

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Nige, Jul 5, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me approximatelyhow much it costs to PVR as a SNCO?  
    What's the longest time it can take to be 'out' from the time you PVR?
    Just a rough idea and wher the info is from (AGAI etc) would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. There are a lot variables here and it would be best to speak to your pay office for a rough or an accurate answer - depending what you want.

Don't forget the pension though - it is worth quite a bit !

3. I was hoping to be a bit 'subtle' about it, for various reasons.
    If it helps I've done 17 yrs, I'm time barred 'til early next year (PVR will be after time bar elapses). I hope to give about 5 months notce.  I can't do 12 months though, that'd be too long.

4. As i understand it, as long as your not on a return of service (time bar), and your not in a protected trade, you shouldnt have too much of a problem. As long as your on a notice engagement (open), and not the "open" engagement.

5. You can still have a confidential discussion with your Pay Staff - privately with your RAWO or RAO. Others do it all the time !

6. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

If you've done over 18 years (reckonable service) then it is free to PVR.  Under 17 years (if you're on the contract that allows you to PVR) then it will cost you £200.

You will lose your immediate pension, however you will still qualifiy for your preserved pension (at age 55), your resettlement grant (about £7.5K at the moment) and a resettlement course.

Hope this helps.

7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

A lot will depend on how sympathetic your boss is. I PVRd after 11 years, paid my money and was a civvy 2 weeks later. I had already signed off and had a good job offer if I could leave quickly. My boss thought if I was going anyway he could get a replacement sooner so let me leave.

8. What a shame Nige. :(
    Such a waste of talent. :(

A friend. :)

9. Nige,

If you have done that long, you definately need to have a word with the pay staff.  Get them to show you how much money you will lose by not serving the full 22 years.  I guarantee you will be surprised.  
    You will lose a fortune in gratuity and pension, which remember is still immediate at the 22 year point and is for life.
    I don't know your circumstances of course, but you would be losing a huge amount of money.

10. Nige, like most i don't know your circumstances, but was myself thinking of getting out for a job with big pay rise until i looked into amount of money lost through immediate pension. you'll be suprised i imagine to hear it will probably be a 6 figure sum when all calculated.

all said money isn't everything if work has become that bad.

good luck

11. Cheers for the replies folks,
    I fully understand the financial implications, it is the nitty gritty of doing the deed I need advice on, timeline, how soon I can go etc.

The money is not a big issue, the time factors may be...

The basic circumstance is that I have applied to transfer to the Australian Army and serve to 55. I then get an immediate Australian Pension and at 60 I get the British Army one - index linked and an initial payment of 3 X Annual Pension.

Treebeard, don't worry mate - I'm not gone yet! It all depends on Australia when & if I go :)

13. You get a preserved pension paid at age 65, not age 60 as previously mentioned. You will get a resettlemnt grant if you have served over 12 years from age 18. You will also be entitled to resettlement depending on if you can fit it in prior to discahrge. :wink:

14. Under pension 75 preserved pension is paid at age 60 (2.75% of 37 year pension for each year of service - min 2 yrs) for all service up to and including 5 Apr 06 - preserved pension for service from that date onwards will be paid at age 65. PVR timline is dependant mainly on your unit initially - CO can defer you for up to 6 months but this is not common - why stand in the way of someone who wants to go!! - I've seen people go within a working week! - as per other posts it's probably best to have an "in confidence" chat with your RAOWO or RAO to suss out the lie of the land.

15. £2.50 with your NAAFI stamps