Puzzle Palazzo view on "Urban myths"....

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Goatman, Feb 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

From Defencenet this week:

hmmmm....." AD Def Publicity Army in No-Win situation........"The papers LIE about us , dammit".......cover-up suspected......corgi bites Guardsman,pic P.3 ....Prince of Whales speaks out in private journal (circulated to several hundred)......."

The line on Wally whale completely ( and deliberately) side steps the issue.....nobody ever suggested RN had deployed a Towed array system from Kew Bridge to the Knock buoy, thus confusin' Wally with their deadly Rays (bugg'rem)....

TA undermanning " a problem for many years " ?....So-o-o-o- that'll be why we've amalgamated and down-sized since Options for change then......

"sale of ex-DERA facilities to US company partially owned by Dick Cheney perfectly reasonable"......uh-huh......

Sorry guys....losing me here.....

Le Chevre
  2. This had been on the MOD website for a while. I was expecting something like this for a long time. Typical spin :?
  3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Ha ha ha.

So what was all Comrade Reid's recent evasiveness all about?
  5. It has been a real problem since the "Strategic Defence Review" or did we forget that already?

Coltishall was the last remaing 11 sector? Operational station. Northolt remains open , because Ministers don't want to fight their way up the M4 of a Friday night to Heathrow. It's a damn shame it's closing.
  6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

So...hang on....Goat brain ruminating slowly on this.....let me see if I have this correct:

> Dick Cheney, Vice President of US has a personal stake in a company called the Carlyle Group
    > British government approves sale of a substantial share-holding in Qinetiq - Europe's most advanced military research organisation - to the Carlyle Group
    > US subsequently engages in a long term military engagement in the Middle East
    > which increases the Qinetiq share price
    > which benefits the Carlyle Group
    > .....in which the Vice President of the United states has a major shareholding ?

....is that...more or less....what we're saying ? ...and the view from Private Eye is....?

Le Chevre
  7. Goatman, yep - that's pretty much the conclusion. But keep it to yourself and don't mention it to anyone, I can't really see you and I suiting those orange jump suits.

Having only read the article here, was the MOD source named, or is this yet another MOD spokesman that can't be tracked down by the MOD Press Office? Try it sometime, read a MOD Press release, in national or BBC / Sky / Ch4 newsfeed or similar, and call them - ask to speak to the person responsible - you'll be amazed.
  8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

This'll be a composite piece cut and pasted from many Policy sources....how much do YOU know about both Typhoon and marine propagation of sonar as it affects cetaceans ? Okay, fair go - now take this phone call from IRN will you......

" Former TA soldier and OIL veteran in 'extraordinary rendition' to Cuban holiday paradise......exclusive interview with Minty McGinty p4......'Tell Gay Flashman at Channel Four News I still love her! ' cries forlorn figure in orange jumpsuit as ac taxis down Mildenhall runway....".....nah, can't see it myself....make a good straight-to-video movie though.....Bob Hoskins can play my role - what about you ?

<< Quelles helicopteres noir? Ils n'existent....rien a voir ci....rompez Citoyens ! >>
  9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Northolt is remaining open, partly for the reasons PTP has given, partly because it generates income because various business people/'celebrities'/foreign dictators/CIA a/c use it. However, they are planning to close RAF Uxbridge, which not only played a central role in the Battle of Britain, but has other historically significant features as well.

The 11 Gp Bunker, from which the battle of Britain was controlled, and where both the King and Churchill were regular visitors, is there. It's maintained by the RAF as a museum, now, incidentally, and well worth a visit. More info here.
  10. The Carlyle group is a private equity equity firm with over $30 billion in capital. There are four founders that hold controlling interest in the firm. One was said to have been forced out by the other three. The original founders are Stephen L. Norris, William E. Conway, Jr., Daniel A. D'Aniello, and David M. Rubenstein. Norris is no longer with the firm. These three own over 50% of the general partnership. Defense investments only represent 1% of the total portfolio.