Putting up a face/trying to be chipper

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

OK. So worst time to be posting a thread or anything really. I am not even drunk. Have been sober for a day now, almost. My parents are now divorcing. I feel so completely alone and idiotic, really for even posting this.

My usual support group has completely vanished, due to various reasons. I am a nobody. Never felt this low in life. Just trying to figure out why I should carry on with everything. I have temp flatmates for a week and everybody thinks I am ******* great and all, a charmer. But it's all a pretence and and putting up a face.

Sorry for being a downer and a loser.
My Dad topped himself when I was 18. I found him with a needle in his arm, a half finished bottle of malt, and an empty bottle of barbiturates. Neat job, 3rd attempt, and being a GP ( crippled with spondy & a few other end-game issues, it was the best thing. Rigour had already,in my youthfull inexperience, seemingly begun so I figured it had been at least 6/8 hours.
Still, I did a few checks including poking his feet with needles...nothing.
So, buried him, and was back at work 3 days later. It did not bother me my employer nabbed 4 days wages out my pay. It was 1970...things are different now. He had certain death camp numbers tatted...you can guess his mindset.
I got no support, family being so up their own backsides in self pity, but decided I could get on fine. Each day is a new one, so grab it as you won't get it back, and you are not a cat with 9 lives.
At 66, I'm all good. Happy marriage, a great kid, and had a few interesting careers over 48 years.
My point if you have not already twigged is a candid one.
Give yourself a good effin' shake, stop buying booze, and get on with it. Nobody really likes a whinger. They will be sympathetic up to a point then desert you.
Everyone admires a bloody good trier...to a degree. Even if you feck it up.
Get up tomorrow, and have a long convo with the wannabee loser in the shaving mirror.
Go for long walks, stay off the web, read good stuff, eat properly, go to bed at ten and get up at 7, and make the changes.
If you don't, life will hand your arse back on a plate.

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
My Dad topped himself when I was 18. I found him with a needle in his arm, a half finished bottle of malt, and an empty bottle of barbiturates. Neat job, 3rd attempt, and being a GP ( crippled with spondy & a few other end-game issues, it was the best thing. Rigour had already, it seemed in my youthfull inexperience, had begun so I figured it had been at least 6/8 hours.
So, buried him, and was back at work 3 days later. I did not even bother me my employer nabbed 4 days wages out my pay. It ws 1970...things are different now.
I got no support, family being so up their own backsides in self pity, but decided I could get on fine. Each day is a new one, so grab it as you won't get it back, and you are not a car with 9 lives.
At 66, I'm all good. Happy marriage, a great kid, and had a few interesting careers over 48 years.
Give yourself a good effin' shake and get on with it. Nobody likes a whinger, everyone admires a bloody good trier...to a degree. Even if you feck it up.
Get up tomorrow, and have a long convo with the loser in the shaving mirror.
If you don't life will hand your arse back on a plate.
I hope you polished off the rest of the malt!

My Dad topped himself when I was 18. I found him with a needle in his arm, a half finished bottle of malt, and an empty bottle of barbiturates. Neat job, 3rd attempt, and being a GP ( crippled with spondy & a few other end-game issues, it was the best thing. Rigour had already, it seemed in my youthfull inexperience, had begun so I figured it had been at least 6/8 hours.
So, buried him, and was back at work 3 days later. I did not even bother me my employer nabbed 4 days wages out my pay. It was 1970...things are different now. He had certain death camp numbers tatted...you can guess his mindset.
I got no support, family being so up their own backsides in self pity, but decided I could get on fine. Each day is a new one, so grab it as you won't get it back, and you are not a cat with 9 lives.
Give yourself a good effin' shake, stop buying booze, and get on with it. Nobody really likes a whinger. They will be sympathetic up to a point then desert you.
Everyone admires a bloody good trier...to a degree. Even if you feck it up.
Get up tomorrow, and have a long convo with the wannabee loser in the shaving mirror.
Go for long walks, stay off the web, read good stuff, eat properly, go to bed at ten and get up at 7, and make the changes.
If you don't, life will hand your arse back on a plate.
I admire your concrete upper lip Mukker.
That post deserves more than one like.

Listen, you pair of skipping fairies, this the NAAFI: thus, your Main Effort is to heap ridicule and sarcasm on the OP's head.

Now, MTFU or skip over to MumsNet, as I believe there's a new thread about **** sex.

Again.
You’re right of course - what am I doing here? Time to pop back to the Mess......

Listen, you pair of skipping fairies, this the NAAFI: thus, your Main Effort is to heap ridicule and sarcasm on the OP's head.

Now, MTFU or skip over to MumsNet, as I believe there's a new thread about **** sex.

Again.
It was to @Ecosse for his admirable stiff upper lip, not that Septic Nancy @redshift. So you can fuck right off :lick:

I deserve all the criticism and ridicule I get. Hey, it's this place after all. I would perhaps do the same.

I am not a flounce (from my understanding of it) and no it's not just my parents or whatever. That was just something which, like @LJONESY said just added to the pressure. There are a lot more factors/ stress and perhaps even my own recent alcoholism (which again, was driven by other things), but the last two days were the worst days of my life, maybe the darkest. Maybe they will get better.

I will strive to be better. And thanks again for all your support. Even some smiles. Appreciate it. I will get on with it. That's the British spirit right? I am one now, after all. This is just a phase, eh?

I deserve all the criticism and ridicule I get. Hey, it's this place after all. I would perhaps do the same.

I am not a flounce (from my understanding of it) and no it's not just my parents or whatever. That was just something which, like @LJONESY said just added to the pressure. There are a lot more factors/ stress and perhaps even my own recent alcoholism (which again, was driven by other things), but the last two days were the worst days of my life, maybe the darkest. Maybe they will get better.

I will strive to be better. And thanks again for all your support. Even some smiles. Appreciate it. I will get on with it. That's the British spirit right? I am one now, after all. This is just a phase, eh?
I think what you meant to say there was...
Fuck off you bunch of cunts.
Now that is what it means to be British.

Last edited:

GET SOME FCUKING HELP..........If what you’ve been saying in this thread equates to the worst, darkest days of your life, you have lived one fcuking charmed life for someone in their 30’s......

Edit; I’d give anything to have parents divorcing rather than planted in the ground , just saying.....

OK. So worst time to be posting a thread or anything really. I am not even drunk. Have been sober for a day now, almost. My parents are now divorcing. I feel so completely alone and idiotic, really for even posting this.

My usual support group has completely vanished, due to various reasons. I am a nobody. Never felt this low in life. Just trying to figure out why I should carry on with everything. I have temp flatmates for a week and everybody thinks I am ******* great and all, a charmer. But it's all a pretence and and putting up a face.

Sorry for being a downer and a loser.
Are you having a laugh they are divorcing their not dead, get a grip

Too right, how the hell did you think we defeated the Japs in Holland? Or did Wellington get all depressed when he was pushed back to Dunkirk by Hitler in 1917?

As a Brit, you should be calling your parents to tell them to man-up themselves, just before you go to your Gentleman's Club for a stiff Martini (Vodka, Shaken not stirred)

Too right, how the hell did you think we defeated the Japs in Holland? Or did Wellington get all depressed when he was pushed back to Dunkirk by Hitler in 1917?

As a Brit, you should be calling your parents to tell them to man-up themselves, just before you go to your Gentleman's Club for a stiff Martini (Vodka, Shaken not stirred)
Ha! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?