Putting TA experience on ur CV

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Oct 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm applying for an internal job. I'm not sure if I put down my TA experience on my CV it would make me look a walt?

Normally I wouldn't mention TA, but its a position working on a defence contract and knowledge gained from the TA is relevant (Information Comms Systems), they already know I'm in TA but ....
  2. Just mention any relevant Military Qualifications. If you get asked what they are it gives you somehting to chat about at the interview.
  3. Should not be a revelation then, dont forget that there may be some HR bods who dont know you who are involved in the process. Normally being in the TA will raise questions with an employer about call up liability, so if you are exempt for the next three years let them know. Keeping quiet is against terms of service these days (I believe) Employers must be informed of their employees status and liability.
  4. Mine shows the Mil Quals from Courses and my job and rank within the TA, together with the unit and my length of service.

It's at the end of my CV, after previous jobs and civilian quals, just above the hobbies section. :D

It lets the prospective employer know that you're in the TA, have been so for a few years (and thus demonstrates that you can stick with something long-term, which can be important if you're in a profession that requires job-changing every couple of years), and provides a practical demonstration that you can be both part of a team and lead the team (obviously depending on rank and Corps). JNCO and SNCO courses also demonstrate you had to work at promotion, not merely amass more experience.

The team part can be useful if you're moving to a job that requires staff supervision, when for the last few years you've been a contractor for example.

And you have to tell them anyway, under the new rules, so might as well let them know sooner than later. It also gives something else to talk about at the interview.
  5. Well, to be picky, you have to tell them unless you have an exemption - but I suspect they are few and far between. Some units get them en masse (but if course I'd have to shred you if you knew which ones) and you can always apply for one if your boss is called bin Laden and keeps going on about his cousin "smiting the infidels".
  6. I have found when I move internally it is something that on occasions benefits me, as I’m in a semi military organisation.

But there are a large number of lefty longhaired lizards that this has no effect on.

But when I was going for jobs in the Private Sector I always erred on the side of caution, as you never know who might be reading the CV.
  7. thanks all.

I think the relevance of my TA experiernce may not be understood, I work for a small->medium sized firm.

Have tried to help members@arrse gain employment here before, they didn't get a job, even thou their CV was ideal but luckily for them they were soon snapped up by bigger organisations.
  8. It's laughable... put on your CV that you're TA and it's a lottery as to whether your potential employer will even offer you an interview... Declare a previous spent conviction (such as drink driving etc.) under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and provided it's spent feel safe in the knowledge that if you get knocked back you can rely on the full force of the law to help you challenge the decision.

HR Courses go to great lengths to 'educate' HR managers on issues such as Disability and the ROA (and quite rightly so), but leave them in the dark to legislation in regards to TA.

And, if I can be really contentious... What's the difference between hiring a TA soldier, who could get called up in a year, or two and a woman who could leave to start a family? The TA person is more likely to return to that job, whereas would the woman return after child-birth?

I know I'll get barracked about that example, but if you feel quite strongly that the above statement is unfair then you're quite right... it is... However isn't denying someone an interview because they're TA and denying them because they are a female the same prejudice?

Can o'worms I reckon...
  9. Alternatively, if your female and TA, then your stuffed...... or you will be, and then have a baby
  10. I was in the same boat in April. I opted for the honest approach and put a few lines about my service (or training) on my CV.

The TA was discussed during all interviews (it went down better with guys doing the interviews than the women surprisingly lol) and I informed them all that I had already booked two weeks to do my recruits course. Conseuently, I was called in for an interview for all five jobs I applied for, and the subject was only raised as a minor one.

So, I started the job, had two weeks of un-paid leave a week later, then another 2 weeks un-paid leave for training in Germany, countless weekends and extra time where needed (I've now got yet another two weeks; Trade Camp next week).

If I had witheld the fact that I was a STAB, then there's no way I would have been able to finish all my training in the 7 months it's taken me!
  11. I was proud to mention on my CV that I was in the TA. It had qualifications and the civvy equivelent, experience, rank, etc.

Never got an interview let alone a job!

Took it off and got an interview within weeks. Got the job (and by rights the TA exp was a huge bonus to the employer!).

and the best part was - that particular employer knocked back my CV only a few months earlier. Coincidence? I'll let you decide.
  12. I had some of my military qualifications on my record.

I was looking for a posting, and found a job. The boss saw the military qualification. He says, "are you still in the TA?"

I said, "Nope."

He said, "thank fook for that, I can't afford to lose you for six months, I couldn't take a TA bod."

Now, the Met as an employer fully supports the reserve forces and I could have found a less interesting posting and been in the TA but in some jobs they won't support it. I'm not bitching about it, I can see the boss' POV but it is a factor.

Saying that, some departments really welcome TA skills that are transferable and are very accommodating (i.e. medics).

13. I don’t think that you should keep the fact that your in the TA from your employer, but as a rule I don’t think that you should broadcast it on your CV.

A while ago I took part in paper sifting numerous CVs, and I got rid of CVs because on the most minor of things just to reduce the pile.

Now the fact that we made them send a photo in meant that there was a surprising amount of Blonde 18 year olds that got selected. But on the upside because I was doing it I guaranteed anyone who had been in the Army an interview.

If people like me carry out paper sifting, who on the basis of they support a football team I dislike, then just image what the TA might do.
  14. Is that like binning half of the CV's before you start to ensure that you don't hire any unlucky people?
  15. I'm afraid that Scousism is fact rather than paranoia. My bro is an HR manager and automatically throws away all CVs from Scousers.