Putin's claim to South Korea? 100 billion good reasons to try!

Something for Vlad to have a crack at getting his mitts on.

'A South Korean salvage team has discovered the wreck of a Russian warship that was sunk in a naval battle 113 years ago and is believed to still contain 200 tons of gold bullion worth 150 trillion won, or £100 billion. The Russian Imperial Navy cruiser Dmitrii Donskoi was discovered at a depth of more than 1,400 feet about one mile off the South Korean island of Ulleungdo.'

Russian warship ‘carrying £100 billion in gold’ discovered off South Korea

Last edited:
Curiouser and curiouser. It shouldn't have been a difficult wreck to locate, but no clue as to why there would have been so much bullion aboard, or why Tsarist Russia hadn't tried to recover it after the war.

Dmitrii Donskoi was assigned to the cruiser force of the Second Pacific Squadron and departed Libau on 15 October 1904 bound for Vladivostok with Captain 1st Rank Lebedev in command. En route in the North Sea, she was damaged by friendly fire from seven sister ships in mistake for a Japanese vessel during the Dogger Bank Incident of 21/22 October. The ship passed the Cape of Good Hope on 20 December. Whilst approaching the Strait of Tsushima on 27 May 1905, the Russian force was intercepted by the Japanese in the Battle of Tsushima. The cruiser was assigned to defend the transport ships at the rear of the Russian formation and was not seriously engaged during the day. She became separated from the rest of the fleet during the early evening and attempted to steam north to Vladivostok through the Japanese fleet. Dmitrii Donskoi was unsuccessfully attacked by Japanese destroyers and torpedo boats during the night. The following morning, she helped to transfer the badly wounded squadron commander, Vice Admiral Zinovy Rozhestvensky, from the destroyer Buinyi to the destroyer Biedovi and then was forced to scuttle Buinyi when the destroyer's machinery broke down. The destroyer's crew as well as some 205 survivors from Oslyabya were transferred to the cruiser before Buinyi was scuttled. As the ship sailed northward, she was spotted late in the day by several groups of Japanese ships and badly damaged in the ensuing combat. Captain Lebedev decided to run his ship aground on Ulleungdo, but the ship anchored instead and all of the men aboard were taken to the island. Roughly 60 men of the ship's crew had been killed and another 120 wounded during the fighting. The next morning, 29 May, Dmitrii Donskoi was scuttled about a mile and a half (2.4 km) offshore, approximately at 37°30′N 130°57′ECoordinates: 37°30′N 130°57′E. The survivors were taken prisoner that afternoon by landing parties from the Japanese destroyer Fubuki and the Japanese armed merchant cruiser Kasugu Maru.

Russian cruiser Dmitrii Donskoi - Wikipedia

Something for Vlad to have a crack at getting his mits on.

'A South Korean salvage team has discovered the wreck of a Russian warship that was sunk in a naval battle 113 years ago and is believed to still contain 200 tons of gold bullion worth 150 trillion won, or £100 billion. The Russian Imperial Navy cruiser Dmitrii Donskoi was discovered at a depth of more than 1,400 feet about one mile off the South Korean island of Ulleungdo.'

Russian warship ‘carrying £100 billion in gold’ discovered off South Korea

Wars have started over less, (Boer war) it should be very interesting to see how this pans out. I suspect the American gold hunter Mican Eldred & Robert Ballard, the man who found the Titanic wreck, will offer their services.

Wars have started over less, (Boer war) it should be very interesting to see how this pans out. I suspect the American gold hunter Mican Eldred & Robert Ballard, the man who found the Titanic wreck, will offer their services.
Lots of potential players here.

'A joint team made up of experts from South Korea, Britain and Canada discovered the wreck on Sunday and used two manned submersibles to capture footage of the vessel...'

As the ship was not sunk by enemy action but scuttled does it not come under salvage rights. The Captain abandoned the ship.

Although if he knew it had so much gold on board would he have scuttled her, but then again was he considered that if he didn't the IJN would capture it.

As to why they did not recover it after the war I would think that at 400m it would have been far too deep. As to why it was carrying so much gold, could it be to rebuild the fleet in the far east and the general cost of a war with Japan.

As the ship was not sunk by enemy action but scuttled does it not come under salvage rights. The Captain abandoned the ship.

Although if he knew it had so much gold on board would he have scuttled her, but then again was he considered that if he didn't the IJN would capture it.

As to why they did not recover it after the war I would think that at 400m it would have been far too deep. As to why it was carrying so much gold, could it be to rebuild the fleet in the far east and the general cost of a war with Japan.
Interesting legality about the salvage rights.

Carrying that much gold from western Russia to rebuild the fleet that the ship was part of, and hadn't yet been engaged at Tsushima when it sailed, is a little too prescient don't you think?

Elon Musk will be after it with one of his subs. He says Vlad is a paedo, BTW.
You had better put an eligible in that comment PDQ or you too could be having a visit from representative of one or maybe both very shortly.:)

Interesting legality about the salvage rights.

Carrying that much gold from western Russia to rebuild the fleet that the ship was part of, and hadn't yet been engaged at Tsushima when it sailed, is a little too prescient don't you think?
Not looked too deeply at the war. I just knew that a conflict was going on at the time. I won't argue your point about sailing time as you seem to have sunk my concept.:eek:

You had better put an eligible in that comment PDQ or you too could be having a visit from representative of one or maybe both very shortly.:)
Vladimir Putin would be welcome at my gaff anytime. He's a bit too liberal for my liking, but I'm sure we could sink a few dozen vodkas and not fall out.

Elon Musk would get his bake slapped off if he showed up.

In the two cases you have they were both sunk by enemy action so not given up. In this case they gave up the ship and left of their own free will. Salvage rights may be the issue.
Edinburgh was also scuttled. Both ships had been damaged by enemy action. Edinburgh was a UK state ship carrying Soviet/Russian gold.

If Putin bags it as the ship was owned by the former Russian state, shouldn't the Finns get a percentage, since ISTR they were then a part of the Russian state?

I'll leave that one to the lawyers.

Edinburgh was also scuttled. Both ships had been damaged by enemy action. Edinburgh was a UK state ship carrying Soviet/Russian gold.

If Putin bags it as the ship was owned by the former Russian state, shouldn't the Finns get a percentage, since ISTR they were then a part of the Russian state?

I'll leave that one to the lawyers.
Not sure how well informed the article is on legal salvage matters, but given the comparison made, I bet Vlad's getting sweaty palms! Then again, it could all be just a crate of Burma Spitfires.

'At the time of her sinking Donskoi was reportedly carrying 5,500 boxes of gold bars and 200 tons of gold coins with a street value today of $130 billion. That’s more than twice Russia’s 2017 defense budget, which was $61 billion. If the treasure does materialize, the Russian government will receive half of the recovered amount.

'Although the Shinil Group claims it saw what it thinks was a “treasure box” among the wreckage, there appears to be no confirmation the Donskoi really was carrying the reported treasure. In addition to payments to the modern Russian government, the salvagers promise to further invest money in a railroad line linking North Korea, South Korea, and Russia.'

Russian Shipwreck Allegedly Carrying $130 Billion in Gold Has Been Rediscovered

Last edited:
Looking more and more like the Burma Spitfires

'The company that found the wreck of a Russian warship says it was carrying $190 billion in gold. But historians — and financial regulators — have taken aim at the extraordinary claim.'

New twist in $190 billion treasure find