• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Putin: Russia will build new nuclear weapons

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091229/ap_on_re_eu/eu_russia_us_arms_treaty

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said Tuesday that Russia wants the U.S. to share detailed data about its planned missile shield under a new arms control treaty...
The U.S. State Department rejected Putin's call, saying the START successor treaty would only deal with strategic offensive arms.
But Putin warned that a missile defense system would give the U.S. an edge and could erode the deterrent value of Russia's nuclear forces.

"The problem is that our American partners are developing missile defenses, and we are not," Putin said.

"But the issues of missile defense and offensive weapons are closely interconnected. ... There could be a danger that having created an umbrella against offensive strike systems, our partners may come to feel completely safe. After the balance is broken, they will do whatever they want and grow more aggressive."

I know it is said that the USA doesn't understand Russia, but the same applies in reverse.

The US knows that a missile shield could never give 100% reassurance against anything other than a limited threat, and would never be willing to risk even one of their cities being destroyer by a leaker.

Having said that I didn't really understand how missiles in Poland would serve to defend the continental USA.........potentially good for Europe but not for the States

Odo

Hello Sergei,

if these new Russian weapons are anything like the Bulava,I don't think the Americans will have much to worry about.

tangosix.

tangosix said:
Hello Sergei,

if these new Russian weapons are anything like the Bulava,I don't think the Americans will have much to worry about.

tangosix.
Or anybody else for that matter. How many exactly have failed? Without goggling it, 12 out of 13????

box-of-frogs said:
tangosix said:
Hello Sergei,

tangosix.
Or anybody else for that matter. How many exactly have failed? Without goggling it, 12 out of 13????
Shouldn't everyone else BE worried? It's the guidance system that is u/s............

Odo

Odo_de_StAmand said:
I know it is said that the USA doesn't understand Russia, but the same applies in reverse.
Be sure both understand each other pretty well. There are different interests, different strategies.

Odo_de_StAmand said:
The US knows that a missile shield could never give 100% reassurance against anything other than a limited threat, and would never be willing to risk even one of their cities being destroyer by a leaker.

Having said that I didn't really understand how missiles in Poland would serve to defend the continental USA.........potentially good for Europe but not for the States

Odo
The missiles in Poland were planned as an exuse for expantion of American geopolitical presence in the region. As for their military usefullness then it really didn't matter.

tangosix said:
Hello Sergei,

tangosix.
And I believe they would not worry if all tests of Bulava are successfull.

KGB_resident said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091229/ap_on_re_eu/eu_russia_us_arms_treaty

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said Tuesday that Russia wants the U.S. to share detailed data about its planned missile shield under a new arms control treaty...
The U.S. State Department rejected Putin's call, saying the START successor treaty would only deal with strategic offensive arms.
But Putin warned that a missile defense system would give the U.S. an edge and could erode the deterrent value of Russia's nuclear forces.

"The problem is that our American partners are developing missile defenses, and we are not," Putin said.

"But the issues of missile defense and offensive weapons are closely interconnected. ... There could be a danger that having created an umbrella against offensive strike systems, our partners may come to feel completely safe. After the balance is broken, they will do whatever they want and grow more aggressive."
Well bully for them, if the Russians feel like pissing their money away. Then again maybe they plan on recouping the costs in resales to Iran.

Same old same old from our deluded Sergei:

Defensive US missiles bad but offensive russian missiles good. US geopolitical posturing is evil, but russian geopolitical posturing quite okay and all part of life.

Hypocritical, bias and blinkered views as always.

KGB_resident said:
The missiles in Poland were planned as an exuse for expantion of American geopolitical presence in the region. As for their military usefullness then it really didn't matter.
And Eastern Europe is your own personal backyard (despite the will of its people) isn't it? How dare the Americans negotiate with democratically elected governments to place defensive missiles and radars which won't even be able to intercept Russian missiles?

These days, there are so many ways to deliver a nuke, that I doubt even the best missile defence system is ever going to provide a 100% safeguard.

Grapevine said:
And Eastern Europe is your own personal backyard (despite the will of its people) isn't it? How dare the Americans negotiate with democratically elected governments to place defensive missiles and radars which won't even be able to intercept Russian missiles?
You should know that russia never gives a hoot for anything any democratically elected people want. Which is a little ironic really as they have spent over 70 years leading the Soviet Union's Communist utopia which professed to be run by the common people, for the common people. Sort of "workers of the world unite" as long as you do exactly what you are told and relinquish any freedom of thought or speech.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
DeltaDog said:
These days, there are so many ways to deliver a nuke, that I doubt even the best missile defence system is ever going to provide a 100% safeguard.
I couldnt agree more. But I do feel the world would be a safer place if KGB_resident could persuade his chums to put on a T shirt on the beach.

That would save those of us who love Freedom and Democracy from having to look at fat Russians with dodgy tattoos lumbering about the place like badly tattooed seals.

Its not rocket science.

Plant-Pilot said:
Grapevine said:
You should know that Britain never gives a hoot for anything any democratically elected people want. Which is a little ironic really as they have spent over 70 years leading the Soviet Union's Communist utopia which professed to be run by the common people, for the common people. Sort of "workers of the world unite" as long as you do exactly what you are told and relinquish any freedom of thought or speech.
Corrected that for you :D

leveller said:
Plant-Pilot said:
Grapevine said:
You should know that Britain never gives a hoot for anything any democratically elected people want. Which is a little ironic really as they have spent over 70 years leading the Soviet Union's Communist utopia which professed to be run by the common people, for the common people. Sort of "workers of the world unite" as long as you do exactly what you are told and relinquish any freedom of thought or speech.
Corrected that for you :D
Maybe more accurate if you'd changed it to the Labour Party, but the original version still stands.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
KGB_resident said:
mercurydancer said:
Sergey

Do you mean to say that the Russians dont go for geopolitical posturing?
No of course, Mercurydancer. Russian leadership has own geopolitical goals.
Define your terms Sergey, is geopolitical posturing a way to establish geopolitical goals?

I must admit that the Russians are a lot better at posturing than they used to be. Rolling tanks into Prague is so old fashioned.

In all sincerity Sergey, С новым годом и мои наилучшие пожелания на следующая декада.

Latest Threads