Putin: Russia will build new nuclear weapons

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Dec 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091229/ap_on_re_eu/eu_russia_us_arms_treaty

2. I know it is said that the USA doesn't understand Russia, but the same applies in reverse.

The US knows that a missile shield could never give 100% reassurance against anything other than a limited threat, and would never be willing to risk even one of their cities being destroyer by a leaker.

Having said that I didn't really understand how missiles in Poland would serve to defend the continental USA.........potentially good for Europe but not for the States

Odo

3. Hello Sergei,

if these new Russian weapons are anything like the Bulava,I don't think the Americans will have much to worry about.

tangosix.

4. Or anybody else for that matter. How many exactly have failed? Without goggling it, 12 out of 13????

5. Shouldn't everyone else BE worried? It's the guidance system that is u/s............

Odo

6. Be sure both understand each other pretty well. There are different interests, different strategies.

The missiles in Poland were planned as an exuse for expantion of American geopolitical presence in the region. As for their military usefullness then it really didn't matter.

7. And I believe they would not worry if all tests of Bulava are successfull.

8. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Sergey

Do you mean to say that the Russians dont go for geopolitical posturing?

9. No of course, Mercurydancer. Russian leadership has own geopolitical goals.

10. Well bully for them, if the Russians feel like pissing their money away. Then again maybe they plan on recouping the costs in resales to Iran.

11. What happened the last time Russia/USSR tried to take on the United States, in the strategic technology game......

They'll be bankrupt faster than Halifax/RBS

12. Same old same old from our deluded Sergei:

Defensive US missiles bad but offensive russian missiles good. US geopolitical posturing is evil, but russian geopolitical posturing quite okay and all part of life.

Hypocritical, bias and blinkered views as always.

13. And Eastern Europe is your own personal backyard (despite the will of its people) isn't it? How dare the Americans negotiate with democratically elected governments to place defensive missiles and radars which won't even be able to intercept Russian missiles?

14. These days, there are so many ways to deliver a nuke, that I doubt even the best missile defence system is ever going to provide a 100% safeguard.

15. You should know that russia never gives a hoot for anything any democratically elected people want. Which is a little ironic really as they have spent over 70 years leading the Soviet Union's Communist utopia which professed to be run by the common people, for the common people. Sort of "workers of the world unite" as long as you do exactly what you are told and relinquish any freedom of thought or speech.