Putin Presents RN Divers With Medals

Three cheers for RN! Great thanks.

President Putin also awarded the Order of Friendship to Captain Jonathan Holloway, the British Naval Attache in Moscow and Sqn Ldr Keith Hewitt, the RAF C17 aircraft Captain who flew the rescue mission out.
Its nice to see that the Crab doing his normal taxi work has been acknowledged

Sqn Ldr Keith Hewitt piloted the 99 Sqn C17 transport aircraft which ferried the UK's submarine rescue equipment to Russia. Speaking of the mission, and its aftermath, he said:

"I was preparing for a routine flight to Iraq from RAF Brize Norton when the call came in. We were airborne within minutes heading for Scotland and started working on the flight plan in the air.

"Just to go to No 10 was surreal, but to meet President Putin and receive a medal from him was just unbelievable. I think I must be the only serving RAF officer with a Russian medal".

Well done lads and the crab! He's probably the only serving RAF Officer who earned his medal!

Perhaps the crab medal was for missing out on the 5* hotel - Putin was tacitly acknowledging the hardship caused by the lack of suitable accomodation

maninblack said:
cpunk said:
I bet they aren't allowed to wear them...
Could Mrs Blair and her husband deny them the right to wear them after such a public presentation?
Yes.
Next question.

Foreign medals aren't allowed to be worn on UK uniform if I remember correctly. Can anyone prove me wrong?

maninblack said:
They require "royal" approval.
As a rough guide (and as quite a few of us are being presented with US gongs) a medal that is presented by a head of a state is usually likely to be approved my Her Maj and you will be auth to wear it. recent examples are Bronze Stars, presented by GWB, approved for wear as opposed to Distinguished Service Medal presented by Sec Def, not approved for wear.

An interesting choice of site sponsor!?

Is this a step towards conformity-has Arrse been accepted as an 'establishment' organ?

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't like to be seen as a miserable git, but before the flag-waving goes critical...

The rescue was done by contractors, working for the MoD (DLO, I think), using US-made kit - NOT the Royal Navy. IIRC, the only RN personnel involved was the Cdr, who is in the Project Team. The equipment certainly wasn't British, and the sole reason we got there first was because it was all ready to go on Exercise the following day - and was already packed for transport, weighed, etc. They therefore beat the Yanks there by a short head (2 hours!) - as they were already ready to go. Pure, pure coincidence, and no-ones lives were put at risk at any time - on the UK side - except by the Crabs. There was of course also a political reason for the Russians to allow the RN to be seen to help them, rather than the US Navy. The Canucks, Japs, etc., were also on hand to assist.

I would say that it was a good job, well done machine and operators, but certainly not deserving of any UK Medals - what the Russians do is up to them.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
OldSnowy said:
Don't like to be seen as a miserable git, but before the flag-waving goes critical...

The rescue was done by contractors, working for the MoD (DLO, I think), using US-made kit - NOT the Royal Navy. IIRC, the only RN personnel involved was the Cdr, who is in the Project Team. The equipment certainly wasn't British, and the sole reason we got there first was because it was all ready to go on Exercise the following day - and was already packed for transport, weighed, etc.
Gosh O-S, stop p1ssing in the chips ;-)

if it is the Scorpio ROV that was used, it is American-built and the RN and DERA/Qinetiq have been using a version of it since at least 1995 to retrieve stuff from the bottom of the Kyle of Lochalsh......

Well done Pusser - hope the Order of Trotsky medal ribbon doesn't clash with square rig !

Lee Shaver

Looks a little big to me

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nah.....wrong medal....it's got a nammer 'n sickle and CCCP slapped all over it.....

The one Putaing handed out will have << sponsored by YUKOS >> engraved on it and a $ sign in the middle....

Latest Threads