Putin: How much longer will he remain in power?

Its Twatter I know...but

From Kyiv Post

1651838224023.png

Source: Serhiy Kolyada - How long will the Kremlin's would-be Ceasar last? - KyivPost - Ukraine's Global Voice

Whining Civvy

LE
Book Reviewer
So do high-level conspirators generally leak their plans on social media? How successful is this innovative tactic?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
It depends on the intended outcome, rather than the intended message but it's only a rumour as far as we know. Both sides are running propaganda campaigns. Talking of which:

View attachment 661008
Elderly Ukrainian Suggests Russia Co-opted Her as Pro-War Symbol - The Moscow Times

I've obviously been a bit too close to the BBC in my time - their obsession with 'balance ' must've been more catching than I thought.

The Moscow Times link showing the original footage takes you to a Telegram account - not interested.

But the footage can be seen on Youtube HERE:

She thinks these armed men in her front yard are Russians. UKR soldier offers her bread in return for her red flag.

He then stands on it.

Babushska puts down the bread and tells him she doesn't want it - and that her parents died for that flag.

An act of considerable courage in my view - all three foot nothing of her telling this armed guy to get forth and multiply.

Read the comments.....not everyone in the world regards Ukrainian Armed Forces as heroic underdogs.

And, to be fair Russians AND Ukrainians fought under the red flag against proper Fascists.

Even if they did so wearing 19 million pairs of American boots, driving Ford trucks and Willys jeeps shipped via Murmansk and Archangel, with considerable loss of life by the British Merchant Marine and the Royal Navy, alongside their USN and Canadian colleagues.

Arctic convoys of World War II - Wikipedia

ConvoyWeb - Russian Convoys

An awkward fact which Putain wants brushed aside in his twisted version of the Great Patriotic War (sic) - like so much else.

Rest in peace: HMS Edinburgh (16) - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I've obviously been a bit too close to the BBC in my time - their obsession with 'balance ' must've been more catching than I thought.

She thinks these armed men in her front yard are Russians. UKR soldier offers her bread in return for her red flag.

He then stands on it.

Babushska puts down the bread and tells him she doesn't want it - and that her parents died for that flag.

An act of considerable courage in my view - all three foot nothing of her telling this armed guy to get forth and multiply.
Barbara Frietchie Walt

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
whooosh?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Sometimes its good to move outside the echo-chamber and consider another viewpoint.

I imagine all Babuschka and her slightly loopy old man wanted was to be left in peace to grow stuff, survive winter , make samorchonka and reminisce about the good ol' days before perestroika.

Instead they get used as agit-prop by BOTH sides in a very nasty war in their back garden.

Putin must be getting very wary of any attempt to "dislodge" him judging by the images shown at today's parade. He appeared to be wearing a lot of body armour under his kevlar(?) raincoat. Why do that if he was amongst his friends?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Putin must be getting very wary of any attempt to "dislodge" him judging by the images shown at today's parade. He appeared to be wearing a lot of body armour under his kevlar(?) raincoat. Why do that if he was amongst his friends?
'cos he knows none of them is good enough to manage a head shot ?

Last edited:
're the above and people talking about a 'social catastrophe' which I reckon is just around the corner for the Russians.

I read a piece on the BBC website in the week which had a couple of nice turns of phrase in it.

The point was that their economy is just about holding up in the very short term due to govt intervention but that soon, and this was a Russian banker talking, they were about to go into a prolonged period of 'reverse industrialisation'.

The other bit was that in every home there was a power struggle going on between the TV set and the fridge.

The TV being full (with state propaganda) and the fridge becoming increasingly empty.

On balance the TV is winning at the moment but the fridge is in the ascendency.

Putin needs to fear the fridge.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
I doubt that the war criminal Sergei Shoigu will still be in the running. Not because he’s a war criminal, that’s not an issue in Russia but because he’s a failure.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's not just in the swankier bits of that there Londonistan that the Russian mafia state has squirreled away its loot:

Biens russes gelés en France : qui paie les factures d’entretien des villas ? *

- Villas à Méribel (Savoie), à Saint-Barth ou à Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat (Alpes-Martimes), immeubles entiers rue de Solferino à Paris (VIIe)… Au total, une soixantaine de biens immobiliers appartenant à des oligarques russes ont été gelés ces dernières semaines en France par la « task force » d’une centaine de personnes créée par le ministre de l’Économie, Bruno Le Maire, entre le Trésor,

Frogs apparently doing something about it, rather than kicking a VERY awkward ball into the long grass , as the British Treasury has done.

Come on Sadiq Khan - get with the beat Daddio !

* ( er......' Good Russians frozen in France? ' : scratch: plse speak. Ed )

Well with friends like his...

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

I doubt that the war criminal Sergei Shoigu will still be in the running. Not because he’s a war criminal, that’s not an issue in Russia but because he’s a failure.

Could Tony Blair be an outside chance, or do they need other qualities?

Maybe the other way of looking at the question is "when will the others somewhere near the top of the heap begin to consider him too much of a liability for Russia?" as perhaps that is the indicator of how long he is allowed to keep power.

On the International stage he is an outcast (in any meaningful sense of the word) and I believe he can't recover from that, so what use is he to Russia going forward? None I suggest.

If toppled could his replacement somehow walk back the political damage done to Russia so far? Maybe, I guess that depends on who occupies the chair, that they are not too tainted and that they take quick steps to show they are going to do the right thing.