Putin: How much longer will he remain in power?

A few people commenting in the Ukraine thread about Putin seeming to be possibly out of control, and having just fired his military Chief of Staff, hours after ordering his nuclear forces to go to high readiness.

It seems that most of the lower ranks have been duped into what they werev going to do, been told they're going on exercise or that Ukraine has invited them in.

Sanctions are buidling up and may well end up inflicting huge damage on the wealth of the Oligarchs. There are widespread popular protests across Russia, it seems being suppressed quite brutally.

Will the level heads prevail and take action to check Putin's behaviour before someone makes a final miscalculation?

A few people commenting in the Ukraine thread about Putin seeming to be possibly out of control, and having just fired his military Chief of Staff, hours after ordering his nuclear forces to go to high readiness.

It seems that most of the lower ranks have been duped into what they werev going to do, been told they're going on exercise or that Ukraine has invited them in.

Sanctions are buidling up and may well end up inflicting huge damage on the wealth of the Oligarchs. There are widespread popular protests across Russia, it seems being suppressed quite brutally.

Will the level heads prevail and take action to check Putin's behaviour before someone makes a final miscalculation?

Thats the thing with these "Cults of One" everyone looks up to them and dares not offend them. The reality is that everyone knows they are wrong, but everyone is just too scared to do anything about it, like saying, "no".

From the tweets I have seen the average younger Russian who was born and bought up after the wall came down they just want to get on with thir lives and have the best life possible. Its them that need to put pressure on the self appointed decision makers to not listen to Putin anymore.

I seriously think Putin (encompassing his wider decision making circle) has severely miscalculated this step. He did not expect Ukraine to resist as it has, I reckon he thought his troops would roll through within 48 hours, Zelenskyy would be running in a helicopter, and he could install his puppet. Further, the international community coming together as they have to enact sanctions against him, his regime of billionaire mafia leaders, and the central State run banks and businesses has also knocked him for a mental six.

His raising of his rants to include a nuclear option just because NATO leaders have been saying bad things about him and his klepto mates is clearly indicative of someone who is a fry short of the full happy meal. The problem is that if there is a move against him it needs to be planned, well orchestrated, and executed quickly. The danger is that anyone trying to pull that together needs to do it quietly, and be determined as they would be risking a painful suiciding.

Oyibo

LE
Putin. Not exactly 'the people's person'. And as if to reinforce it he invades a non-aggressor for a second time.

It does seem that there are mutterings of dissent in Russia - Oligarchs and military, and of course the opposition who are not yet in a gulag.

Ukraine is turning into a sh1tshow for Putin. Will he, or when will he, be deposed? And how?

Last edited:
Devil's Advocate, if I may.

As I have said on another thread, Putin rose through the officer ranks in the KGB during the Cold War, eventually getting to Lt Col, resigning when the attempted coup against Gorbachev kicked off in 1991. Since then he has not just survived, but positively flourished, in the 'bear-pit' (no pun intended) of Russian politics, holding on to power for nearly 20 years. Even when Dmitri Medvedev was covering for him (2008-2012) he had a very firm grip and called the shots.

Putin has animal cunning, effective intelligence, survival instinct and blatant ruthlessness in quantities that Biden, Johnson, Macron, Schultz etc do not even begin to understand. Do not underestimate him.

Sixty

ADC
Merged more than Mergie McMerge, last year's all-Scotland merging champion.

He's a man who rules with an iron fist like PM Modi of India, any signs of dissent and your gone, he has people sh*tting themselves in the background basically he is more or less untouchable, no one in Russia will touch him.

Last edited:

As I have said on another thread, Putin rose through the officer ranks in the KGB during the Cold War, eventually getting to Lt Col, resigning when the attempted coup against Gorbachev kicked off in 1991. Since then he has not just survived, but positively flourished, in the 'bear-pit' (no pun intended) of Russian politics, holding on to power for nearly 20 years. Even when Dmitri Medvedev was covering for him (2008-2012) he had a very firm grip and called the shots.

Putin has animal cunning, effective intelligence, survival instinct and blatant ruthlessness in quantities that Biden, Johnson, Macron, Schultz etc do not even begin to understand. Do not underestimate him.
The bear can only outrun the wolves for so long
yes it will take a fair few out yet in the end the bear will succumb to wounds or fall to the surviving wolves

I always thought 'putsch' was a Russian word that had been absorbed into our lexicon. Turns out it's of German origin. Either way, Putin needs a good putsch....

He's a man who rules with an iron fist like PM Modi of India, any signs of dissent and your gone, he has people sh*tting themselves in the backgroun basically he is more or less untouchable, no one in Russia will touch him.
It only takes one bloke with a Makarov to think, "Enough is enough".

The bear can only outrun the wolves for so long
yes it will take a fair few out yet in the end the bear will succumb to wounds or fall to the surviving wolves

Nice analogy, one hopes.

Plus a smashing area of suits and straight talking, he must a player in his day.

It only takes one bloke with a Makarov to think, "Enough is enough".

Putins CP team will be very well experienced, one rule will be no weapons in the same room, probably building, as the principle.

His raising of his rants to include a nuclear option just because NATO leaders have been saying bad things about him and his klepto mates is clearly indicative of someone who is a fry short of the full happy meal. The problem is that if there is a move against him it needs to be planned, well orchestrated, and executed quickly. The danger is that anyone trying to pull that together needs to do it quietly, and be determined as they would be risking a painful suiciding.
Perhaps we should be looking at spaming Russia with the last twenty minutes of "Death of Stalin" then?

Putins CP team will be very well experienced, one rule will be no weapons in the same room, probably building, as the principle.
Dear president, allow me to cut you a slice of bread with this bread knife. Or would you like some wine? Ooops, I've just smashed the bottle and slashed your throat.

Oyibo

LE
Yes

1645993350858.png

How long would you, as a betting man, give Putin?