Putin cool to Olmerts Iran plea

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Oct 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/66C8CC87-D0AB-4B26-BC8A-E9B71A20D3C7.htm

2. Funny - I thought Israel didn't need to care about world opinion (other than US) when bombing Lebanese civilians.

3. It should be taken into account that Russian policy now is pragmatical, selfish and cynical.

I think that mr.Olmert is intelligent enough to understand that he has nothing to propose in return for changing of Russian position toward Iranian nuclear station. So the results of the visit were easily predictable.

Softening of Russian position in Iranian question would be alogical taking into account current American policy toward Russia. Now it is openly unfriendly. USA blocks Russian membership in WTO, encourage Georgian puppets for military actions.

If Israel instead of American weapons would ask for Russian ones then it would be a serious business proposition. But it hasn't happened.

4. It appears that before the negotiatiobs with mr.Olmert pres.Putin 'joked'

http://www.newsru.co.il/world/20oct2006/pu_shutki.html

5. I thought Israel was doing a bit of Trade with Russia on the weapons front these days? Both in buying spares for their captured East bloc equipment and in offering upgrade and mod. packages for older aircraft and equipment from Russia... In co operation with Russian concerns.

6. Another Putin's joke (or maybe not a joke) springs in mind. Visiting Israel Putin was asked by local journalist: why does Russia sell weapons to Syria and other 'wrong' countries? Putin replied that if the journalist would arrange $2bn. weapons contract for Russia in Israel then he would be decorated by one of the highests Russian orders.

7. Has Ahkmadinnerjacket made another, this time more subtle, threat to Israel when he said Israel no longer had any reason to exist and would soon disappear

8. Only Allah knows what pres.Ahmadinejad meant.

Let's regard this scenario: Instead of Israel, new democratatic state is created where anybody would have equal rights, where Jews and Arabs would live peacefully together on their common homeland. Switzerland would be a model for this new state with Israeli and Palestinian cantons, with Jerusalem as a common capital.

This scenario is unrealistic but who would accuse anybody who dreams about it? Maybe Iranian president meant namely this scenario.

9. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Now all you have to do is rewind 60/100 years, get Balfour and Rothschilde in a room, slap them about a bit, bash the post war UN, and you may just have an idea there Serge...

10. I proposed a scenario. It doesn't mean that I regard it as realistic one. I meant only that bearing the scenario in mind the words said by Iranian president could be not so sinister.

Btw, non-Jewish population of Israel is growing (absolutely and proportionally). Who can predict a domographic situation in 2020 or 2050? What is Arabs would be a majority in Israel and would (democratically of course) rename the country. There are even calls to elect Arab president of Israel.

11. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I was agreeing, not having a go Serge...

...and the smart Yahoud will be the ones who can see this coming and prepare for it, and I don't mean miltarily...the analogy of building bridges springs to mind. What will happen to the Ashkanasim tho', my bet is that they'll have to wander around Western Europe and the US (perhaps Russia?) looking pissed off :twisted:

12. Depends on the immigration from the Diaspora, and that will depend largely on how threatened various Diaspora communities feel, etc (the French being one that comes to mind today) . Who can predict their position in 2020 or 2050? Especially in Western Europe where Islam is on the rise.

Also, the ultra-Orthodox community (which is growing) in Israel has large families also, this will also affect the demography in another generation.

Nehushtan - the Ashkenaz / Sefarad divide is alot less promounced then it ever was and by 2020, 2050, etc (coming generations) will largely be forgotten or immaterial.

13. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Funny that because from my anecdotal experience (and quite a few documentaries/news articles from near and far) it seems that the cultural difference between the Western and Levantine Jews (inc. North Africa) is as ever a gap, with some (many?) Egyptian/Tunisian/Yemeni/Persian Yahoud etc. realising (despite of Israeli propaganda) that they actually have far more culturally in common with Arab (& Persian) Muslims and Christians than they do with UK/EU/US Askanasim. As to Spanish Jews (sephardim), mostly I'd think that since 1492 they may as well be considered Levantine/Oriental. That some (probably currently a majority) Sephardim and even some Levantine buy into the state of Israel, go figure...

14. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Ok Islam on the rise in Europe? Solution: Move to the Middle East. I detect some logical disconnect here...

15. Sergeys picture is a nice one, and something I would hope for. However, is he proposing that Gaza and the West Bank are the 'contons' he spoke of - if so I think that the Palastinians (and I suspect, many arab governments)would be in need of just as much a slapping as Nehustan would like to administer to Rothschild. Otherwise the palestinians just won't be up for it.

Without the Palestinian areas in the equation I cannot see the arab part of the Israeli population equalling the jewish part this century, and possibly the greater part of next century